Prospect Info: Jake Sanderson (D) PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Really not seeing the issue here. Why people take another man’s comments about players personally is beyond me.

It’s sports entertainment, stop being so serious and just be entertained :)

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Don't think Dorion said anything wrong here. Sanderson IS going to be a superstar. The team knows it, and I'm sure he knows it. Fan expectations should have no bearing on how the team handles him. If he's not making a big impact towards winning right out of the gate and the team handles him differently than planned because of fan pressure, that will be the mistake, not this comment. That being said, I think he'll already be a good NHL defenseman when he steps into the lineup late next season. He'll only get better from there.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Really not seeing the issue here. Why people take another man’s comments about players personally is beyond me.

It’s sports entertainment, stop being so serious and just be entertained :)

I think there are several reasons not to put that label on the kid before he's even signed with the team. Contract negotiations. Managing expectations. Managing egos.

Just totally unnecessary hyperbole. Not a huge deal either but combined with some of his past gushing it kinda makes Dorion look like a doofus.

Reactions: robsenz and Yak

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I mean it just doesn't make sense - be excited and ready for him to come over but to label him a superstar just opens him and the kid up for questions.

Like when Vinny L was going to be, "The Michael Jordan of hockey" in Tampa. Let's hope he turns out to be Vinny level...

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I mean it just doesn't make sense - be excited and ready for him to come over but to label him a superstar just opens him and the kid up for questions.

Like when Vinny L was going to be, "The Michael Jordan of hockey" in Tampa. Let's hope he turns out to be Vinny level...

I don't think it really matters at all in the end but it's just not something a good public relations person would do. I think we can all agree that Sanderson won't be worst or better because of these comments. The pressure from being a high draft pick is always there and the pressure Sanderson puts on himself to perform is there as well.

In the end it's just a situation where GMs around the league would probably say "He's a great young prospect and we're excited to have him here and we think he'll be a good player for us down the road" vs Dorion going all out and saying Sanderson will 100% be a superstar.

It's just something for fans to look back and criticize if things go south. GMs aren't always right and there's always some uncertainty with young players, the safe bet is just to play it cool and not overhype it but Dorion doesn't really know how to speak in public. The way he speaks about our top prospects is like when I hear casual fans talk about them.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I remember dman Sergei Zubov with his NHL career total 0,72 PPG +/- 148 and hardly anyone called him a star defenseman. You have to produce at least 0,7 PPG to be called a star in this league. And it is 60-70 points a season.
I do not see Sanderson putting more than 50 points a season. It is not even a star metric.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I remember dman Sergei Zubov with his NHL career total 0,72 PPG +/- 148 and hardly anyone called him a star defenseman. You have to produce at least 0,7 PPG to be called a star in this league. And it is 60-70 points a season.
I do not see Sanderson putting more than 50 points a season. It is not even a star metric.
Well thanks for the clarification of what a Star Dman is.
So could you explain to all those people who think Victor Hedman is a star because that slug has only averaged .635 PPG in his career and obviously he is just another journeyman Dman.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A blend of Scott Niedermayer and Nik Lidstrom.

But in all seriousness, a prime Ryan Suter is who I envision and hope for. 27+ minute a night guy who can shut down top lines and chip in 40-50 points.

I think so too, somewhere between Ryan Suter & Ryan McDonagh, but hopefully he surprises everyone & turns into more of a pt producer than people think he can, I hope so anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad