Prospect Info: Jake Neighbours signs ELC

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He brings more to the table than MacEachern at this point. And I don't mean in potential, he's just a more impactful player on a shift-by-shift basis. Not that Kostin will pan out as more than an energy player who can chip in some goals, but I'm perfectly happy with those players.

I can't explain the Blues' coaching staff's interest in energy guys who can't score, win faceoffs, OR kill penalties. A player like that had better abso-friggin-lutely wreck people on the forecheck.
Yeah, I’m honestly not sure why MacEachern is on the team. He provides nothing. He has 4 points in his last 35 NHL games across the past 2 seasons. If anything, he’s gotten worse since he first came up as he doesn’t seem to be the same pest he used to be; he’s been far less physical than both Toro and Kostin so to your point, he’s not a beast of a forechecker. Joshua provides a lot more than him too.

Looking at Klim’s numbers, he was actually not terrible on the 4th line. There are definitely things he needed to do more of (like hang onto the puck more and go to the front of the net) but expectations were just so much higher for him that he feels like a major disappointment (and I’m definitely one of the ones guilty of that too). We’ll see if he or someone else gets another shot soon with Walker and Toro on that 4th line.

Reactions: Twister18

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
That's a good point, but I still think it was a good selection. It just happened to be at a time when the Blues were rebuilding and overhyped Bergy as the next Mats Sundin. Apologetic? Probably.

Looking back at the 2006 draft, I had to dig all the way into the 3rd round to find a player who I would draft before Berglund; Brad Marchand. And that is just hindsight, post de facto smarm.

Who else would you have drafted instead of Berglund at the #25 spot? That's a rhetorical question.
My point was not about that particular draft or Berglund himself, I liked Berglund a lot and thought for the first half of his career that he'd put it all together. I think most people's draft preference would be to draft players who could contribute more offensively than that Berglund benchmark (even though Berglund himself fit that), even if it's less likely they hit that. If we're talking Berglund himself, that's kind of the ideal pick in that late first spot: guy with lots upside if he can figure it out, solid middle six if not. Things change based on organizational needs as well, but as a general rule of thumb, I'd prefer not to use firsts on safer guys with "second line fill in" upside

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
He brings more to the table than MacEachern at this point. And I don't mean in potential, he's just a more impactful player on a shift-by-shift basis. Not that Kostin will pan out as more than an energy player who can chip in some goals, but I'm perfectly happy with those players.

I can't explain the Blues' coaching staff's interest in energy guys who can't score, win faceoffs, OR kill penalties. A player like that had better abso-friggin-lutely wreck people on the forecheck.
Berube made a comment about needing Kostin (and Joshua) to be a more "predictable" player on the 4th line. I took that to mean that he was not happy about his play away from the puck and his attention to detail in being where he needed to be on the ice. Kostin may have a higher upside in terms of generating offense, but clearly the coach values the ability of guys like Toropchenko and even MacEachern to fill the 4th line role as he sees it.

Reactions: Blueston

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Berube made a comment about needing Kostin (and Joshua) to be a more "predictable" player on the 4th line. I took that to mean that he was not happy about his play away from the puck and his attention to detail in being where he needed to be on the ice. Kostin may have a higher upside in terms of generating offense, but clearly the coach values the ability of guys like Toropchenko and even MacEachern to fill the 4th line role as he sees it.

Then MacEachern should probably stop coughing up the puck absolutely everywhere.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Then MacEachern should probably stop coughing up the puck absolutely everywhere.
I haven't been watching them so much as individuals, but the impact of the 4th line has been a lot better the last few games. They're generally playing more physically than when Kostin was up, and just from my general impressions they seem to be contributing to possession more. I think Toropchenko is a big part of this, more than MacEachern, but you can't ignore the experience there for post-season play.

My feeling and more importantly, my guess for how Berube views it, is that the 4th line is influencing the team to play the way he wants them to more frequently. Even though they beat Seattle, that wasn't as good an example as the Arizona game, which was more physical. I'm certain the Minnesota game will have playoff intensity and will show just how far (if at all) this team has come since the trade deadline.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

I'm not gonna defend mac mac, bc he is marginal nhl player, but no. kostin doesn't bring anything shift-by-shift. he will have a noticeable game and then disappear for 3. there is no doubt he has nhl talent. whether he ever develops mentality to contribute consistently- and not just in terms of points- will determine whether he becomes legit nhl player.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I haven't been watching them so much as individuals, but the impact of the 4th line has been a lot better the last few games. They're generally playing more physically than when Kostin was up, and just from my general impressions they seem to be contributing to possession more. I think Toropchenko is a big part of this, more than MacEachern, but you can't ignore the experience there for post-season play.

Please explain re: post-season play.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Please explain re: post-season play.
MacEachern was along for the ride during the Cup run. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought he was one of the Black Aces. (I thought he'd actually gotten into some games, but looking back it doesn't look like that happened.) He has firsthand knowledge of what the team had to do to succeed and was part of the culture of that. He was in practice every day and saw the team prepare. I know a lot of people will scoff that that has any value, but to me it does. I posted that thinking he'd actually played a bit (like Fabbri), which was incorrect.

Perhaps Kostin's Gregarin Cup experience has value too.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
MacEachern was along for the ride during the Cup run. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought he was one of the Black Aces. (I thought he'd actually gotten into some games, but looking back it doesn't look like that happened.) He has firsthand knowledge of what the team had to do to succeed and was part of the culture of that. He was in practice every day and saw the team prepare. I know a lot of people will scoff that that has any value, but to me it does. I posted that thinking he'd actually played a bit (like Fabbri), which was incorrect.

Perhaps Kostin's Gregarin Cup experience has value too.
Yes, MacMac was a black ace that season.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I’d like to see one of Joshua/Kostin/Neal replace MacMac on the 4th line soon. He hasn’t really provided much since the first few games he was up.

Also in regards to Neighbours, I wish the 9+ games towards his contract didn’t count for playoffs so he could rejoin the squad this year.
I feel for MacMac.

He was kind of a middling prospect who came in with what was then described as an "attitude problem". I can't quote that or cite this, but it was reported as such.

Whatever the case, he's done what he's needed to do to make it to the NHL. Unfortunately, for him, he cost a little too much to be called up earlier in the season and now has only 13 games under his belt this season.

He's already 28 y/o, but has made decent money in the last two seasons. I like how @Brian39 puts this into a context of earning enough money to be set for life. If he can get another 2-yr, 1-way contract with similar money, then he should be ok.

This was his season to prove his worth, but COVID/cap issues got in the way. All he needs to do is play his butt off and show other GMs that he is a NHL player.

--

Burning one year of his ELC would be worth it to get Jake some playoff experience this season. Cost-control and future cap worries may prevent Neighbours from being added to the playoff roster.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I feel for MacMac.

He was kind of a middling prospect who came in with what was then described as an "attitude problem". I can't quote that or cite this, but it was reported as such.

Whatever the case, he's done what he's needed to do to make it to the NHL. Unfortunately, for him, he cost a little too much to be called up earlier in the season and now has only 13 games under his belt this season.

He's already 28 y/o, but has made decent money in the last two seasons. I like how @Brian39 puts this into a context of earning enough money to be set for life. If he can get another 2-yr, 1-way contract with similar money, then he should be ok.

This was his season to prove his worth, but COVID/cap issues got in the way. All he needs to do is play his butt off and show other GMs that he is a NHL player.

--

Burning one year of his ELC would be worth it to get Jake some playoff experience this season. Cost-control and future cap worries may prevent Neighbours from being added to the playoff roster.
We can’t call up Neighbours until his junior season ends. And they are a top team, that could be a while.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I feel for MacMac.

--

Huh…I followed prospects extremely closely at the time Mac was drafted and afterwards and don’t recall any reports of attitude issues, but I certainly may have just missed it. I think he’s an NHL quality player, but your typical 4th line or 13-14 guy.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Huh…I followed prospects extremely closely at the time Mac was drafted and afterwards and don’t recall any reports of attitude issues, but I certainly may have just missed it. I think he’s an NHL quality player, but your typical 4th line or 13-14 guy.
It was super easy to miss cuz it was just a quick hit reported after the draft. One sentence in one article. I forgot who reported that, but it was someone from STL Today.

More derail...sorry. It's like the little nugget that was reported when Warsofsky was drafted by the Blues. He hit the table in front of him cuz his hometown Boston was two draft spots later and he assumed he would be selected by the Bruins. That was a little nugget reported and forgotten. One sentence in one article.

--

But that Neighbours kid....wow!

Last edited:
Reactions: tfriede2

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Mac has made about $3M net in his career so far. I wouldn't say that he's set for life if he gets one more $1.8M (ish) deal and then washes out of the NHL. The downside of condensing a lifetime of earnings into a decade is that way more of your income gets taxed at the highest level. Add in agent/lawyer/finance management fees, skills coaches, eating like a pro athlete, escrow, etc and the gross is a lot less than the net. Every agent I've heard talk about it says that the actual take home on an NHL contract is about 30-35% of the number on the contract. Mac's should be higher than that (no escrow in the AHL, a lower percentage of his income in the top tax bracket, etc), but he definitely hasn't put more than $1.5M into his accounts at this point in his career. Another contract like the one he's on will get probably put him somewhere around $2.25M in lifetime earnings.

That's a fantastic start on life if he has been decent with his money, but it isn't really "retire at 30" money. I'm in my mid-30s and I absolutely wouldn't stop working tomorrow if I won a $2M post-tax lottery tonight. My work priorities would change, my stress level would be far less and it would genuinely change my life. But I wouldn't be able to just retire and be set.

I think Mac will get a 1 way deal somewhere else after this season and then it will be up to him to prove that he shouldn't have been in the AHL this season. I like Mac. I hope he can stick around for another few years in the NHL.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Mac has made about $3M net in his career so far. I wouldn't say that he's set for life if he gets one more $1.8M (ish) deal and then washes out of the NHL. The downside of condensing a lifetime of earnings into a decade is that way more of your income gets taxed at the highest level. Add in agent/lawyer/finance management fees, skills coaches, eating like a pro athlete, escrow, etc and the gross is a lot less than the net. Every agent I've heard talk about it says that the actual take home on an NHL contract is about 30-35% of the number on the contract. Mac's should be higher than that (no escrow in the AHL, a lower percentage of his income in the top tax bracket, etc), but he definitely hasn't put more than $1.5M into his accounts at this point in his career. Another contract like the one he's on will get probably put him somewhere around $2.25M in lifetime earnings.

That's a fantastic start on life if he has been decent with his money, but it isn't really "retire at 30" money. I'm in my mid-30s and I absolutely wouldn't stop working tomorrow if I won a $2M post-tax lottery tonight. My work priorities would change, my stress level would be far less and it would genuinely change my life. But I wouldn't be able to just retire and be set.

I think Mac will get a 1 way deal somewhere else after this season and then it will be up to him to prove that he shouldn't have been in the AHL this season. I like Mac. I hope he can stick around for another few years in the NHL.
I agree. In terms of real dollars, it’s not a retirement fund. I was thinking more that he is losing opportunities and now is when he needs to cash in and be smart.

I understand that a couple million after expenses is not that much money, but if he plays it smart, he’ll be ok. Seed money.

He needs to work extremely hard right now.

Reactions: Brian39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad