Prospect Info: Jake Neighbours signs ELC

Zizzle

Oct 29, 2019
I thought he was gonna play college hockey this year? If you sign an entry level deal can you still play college. I dont see him on the roster at any point this season. Probably not even next year? I dont follow draft stuff so ?I dont really know

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I thought he was gonna play college hockey this year? If you sign an entry level deal can you still play college. I dont see him on the roster at any point this season. Probably not even next year? I dont follow draft stuff so ?I dont really know
If you play CHL you are ineligible for ncaa hockey.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Good??? :confused: ....I guess. Is there a ho-hum emojii?

I mean, he'll be on his next contract before suiting up for us in a 4th line role. Parayko, O'Reilly and Schwartz will be gone, but we'll have Faulk and Neighbors. Go team!!!!
Don't forget Krug. :D

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Congrats to him, hope he does well, hope he develops into significantly more than where I currently think he'll land: 3rd/4th line guy.

Reactions: Ranksu

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
What’s the estimated ETA for him? Juniors this year and then a 9 game trial next year? Or is he 3-5 years away?

He screams high end middle 6 guy that our fans love and other teams hate.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Congrats to him, hope he does well, hope he develops into significantly more than where I currently think he'll land: 3rd/4th line guy.
Its all written how he play the game he'll end up at best 3rd or 4th liner, wrecking ball. Hopefully he stays healthy. His style of game can dramatically dropp off.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Its all written how he play the game he'll end up at best 3rd or 4th liner, wrecking ball. Hopefully he stays healthy. His style of game can dramatically dropp off.
Yeah, if we wanted to grab someone who had high risk/reward potential then we hit a home run here. I've seen a few places say he's top-6 kind of guy, I've seen others who say he's got top-6 potential but decision making is a real hindrance, I've seen a few say he's the kind of guy who'll be mired in the AHL or lower. I don't see top-6 unless he finds tools to go in his toolbox, but I think there's enough there to keep him from having a Keith Osborne-like career.

I wasn't incredibly versed on this year's prospects, but from what I recall + what I researched late + what was available at 26, I'd have probably leaned toward Helge Grans or Ryan O'Rourke.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Could anyone fill me in on this years draft (very broadly). This was usually my favorite time of the year, but with Covid I haven't really cared that much. Were there many guys you thought were actually more high end than what we got in Neighbours, or was this a pick like Alexandrov where you thought, "That's a good prospect, but he probably wont make it higher than the 3rd line"?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
His shot is very underrated. If you watch his highlight package you'll see some really sweet snipes where he elevates the puck and picks corners with very little room and does so from odd angles. The scouting reports on him also mention this. He isn't some schlep scoring nothing but garbage goals. He's praised in virtually every scouting report as a smart player noted for his high IQ and is a strong playmaker as well. One report says he, "makes something happen every shift". Throw in the polished 200 ft game and you've got a heck of a prospect.

There seems to be this misconception that because he's physical that he's just some glorified grinder. If that's how you view him now I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
It's both hard to hold Armstrong's decision against the kid, but also hard to see him being an impact forward at his peak.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am glad to hear positive things about Neighbours. I really wanted O'Rourke, but this makes me feel better.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
From reading about him, he just needs to work on his skating mechanics. He definitely seems like he has the work ethic and that’s the thing tempering expectations on a top 6 ceiling

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
From reading about him, he just needs to work on his skating mechanics. He definitely seems like he has the work ethic and that’s the thing tempering expectations on a top 6 ceiling
His skating should definitely improve.

But that's not what's going to keep him from a top-6 position. His offensive creativity, puck-handling in tight, and puck distribution are what's going to keep him from a top-6 role. Every time I view him, he's not some offensive catalyst that drives the play. He's not worthless in the offensive zone, but he's not some driver that leads the charge. If he were, he wouldn't have been available at 26th.

He's a pretty vanilla player from everything I've seen. He will most likely make the NHL because of his skill package being highly translatable. I have no expectations to seem him in the top-6, and if we do I will serious concerns for the Blues, but I do expect to see him in a professional sweater.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
His skating should definitely improve.

But that's not what's going to keep him from a top-6 position. His offensive creativity, puck-handling in tight, and puck distribution are what's going to keep him from a top-6 role. Every time I view him, he's not some offensive catalyst that drives the play. He's not worthless in the offensive zone, but he's not some driver that leads the charge. If he were, he wouldn't have been available at 26th.

He's a pretty vanilla player from everything I've seen. He will most likely make the NHL because of his skill package being highly translatable. I have no expectations to seem him in the top-6, and if we do I will serious concerns for the Blues, but I do expect to see him in a professional sweater.
Well we have plenty of distributors and puck handlers but his shot looks pretty decent. The Blues need more shooters and this kid looks like he’ll work on those parts of his game. He did have more assists than goals so he has some playmaking ability. Looking at various clips of his he works hard for the puck in both zones and not everyone has that tenacity. Let’s see how he progresses before making judgement calls

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I thought Neighbors was a good skater. I might be wrong, but does everyone realize he finished 18th in the WHL in scoring. Going into his draft year. His production was nearly x3 from the previous year. He scored x2 goals from the previous year. Reminds me a bit of Thomas where he was behind a few people and when he got the opportunity, he took off. I also looked at his splits. From January on he failed to produce in only 4 games. Too bad we didn't get the playoffs, I would have liked to see how he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad