Injury Report: Jake Muzzin - broken hand - out ~4 weeks

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
They did trade for a depth defenseman. The problem is depth players can't replace top pairing defensemen

That's not depth. That's wishful thinking and hope. Depth is guys like Ron Hainsey and the dozens like him with NHL experience available for late picks or secondary prospects.

Reactions: ACC1224

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The injury isnt Dubas’s fault. But the lack of depth is. Like how could you not add at least two defenseman in case this happened? Marinicin and Rosen is the best we have to offer in this situation?

Reactions: ACC1224

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Im happy there was no acquisitions at the deadline. With their hot and cold play (effort-wise) the team needs to sink or swim and those that don't give a sh*t should be traded in the off-season. They didn't deserve a trade.

That said surprisingly, the team is still in a playoff spot, so I also don't think they should throw the season away with the newest injury. Take the top 2 dmen away from an already weak defence and it's looking ugly. They should probably trade for an older cheap vet to plug in until playoffs.

Injuries have definitely played a part this season (thought that doesn't excuse the effort level).

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
If the Leafs come up huge under pressure and hold the fort until the big boys return on D, it could be a huge momentum swing for the post-season. I'm really hoping for this even if it's unlikely. Conversely, this stretch could very well end the season as guys are forced to play above their heads in pivotal games. What a damn unlucky break.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The injury isnt Dubas’s fault. But the lack of depth is. Like how could you not add at least two defenseman in case this happened? Marinicin and Rosen is the best we have to offer in this situation?
There it is. Dubas was just criticized for not trading Barrie for whatever he could get, now he's criticized for not being a buyer. The reality is no team has spare top pairing defensemen lying around just in case of injury

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Not great for Muzzin of course.

But, blessing in disguise - you learn things when you are forced to learn, when there is no easy option or no other way.

If you want something but don't know how to ask or are afraid to ask for it, and somebody always helps you out, it's harder to learn.

FINALLY, we might be forced to learn how to play TEAM DEFENSE.

I'm not talking about DEFENSE MEN, nooooo, I'm talking TEAM D, actually, more especially FORWARDS.

We couldn't muster shots against a Zamboni driver in net for the Canes, it wasn't because they had best D-men in the league, it was because they play defense as a team.

I said in the pre-game thread, they might be the best or one of the best possession teams in the league, and they proved it, they kept the puck, and when we got it back, we couldn't do anything with it, they were as tenacious to get the puck back as when they had it.

Well, now we have to do that - we won't have a choice, it's that, or hang the D out to DRY...

IT'S PERFECT. is what I am saying...

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I do but add a vet minor leaguer who can help out for a month and try to live to fight another day ... although I feel like it is over now unless Rielly can get back in a week ... it is too big an ask. Freddy has to play at superstar level and our forwards need to bank 5 every night.

The Marlies have vet minor league players. Gravel, for example.

Reactions: Cobra777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad