Tribute Jake McCabe

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He could be the piece that moves the needle for Edmonton. Considering the value of Sandin and Engvall and all the picks we gave away you are telling me Dubas couldn't have acquired a significantly better piece?

On the other hand, Ekholm is already 32.

Ekholm would be a nice big piece and an acquisition I would support.

The challenge is he makes $6.25 million and Nashville didn't really retain much money for Edmonton. So I think you'd be looking at completely re-doing the cap structure on D like giving Brodie the boot to make room in-season and I'm not sure that the sum improvement is worth the massive disruption.

On paper though, I do think we need a legit horse of a defenseman in the top 3 as a staple.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Seriously, you're faulting him for a shot block that went to the opposition for the goal, because he should have directed it in a different direction
- have you ever played the game?

I disagree. I see him as an ideal second pair dman who brings attributes the team desperately needed.

Yeah, defencemen aren't like goalies where they're expected to control their rebounds somewhat. A defenceman gets in the way of the shot and hopes for the best. Nine times out of ten, that same block results in the puck going into the stands or some innocuous area of the ice.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
No one in their right mind would suggest anyone has anointed Jake McCabe of being the savior of the team.
But I didn't suggest that at all.

I simply said no one in their right mind would anoint him as saviour.

There was no implication that anyone had actually done so.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Dubas thinks it.

As a stand-alone trade I don't mind it. But when combined with all those other trades for crummy defensemen, plus the need to trade Sandin, it isn't a deadline deals that gets anyone excited.

If anything, remaking half the defense and reshaping a good chunk of the bottom of the roster doesn't exactly inspire fans to think the team was a contender to begin with.

Management sure didn't seem to think so.

Not so sure why anything has changed since TDL and McCabe was brought in as the best defenseman.

Last edited:

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
So farm so good with McCabe. Really though, it comes down to how well he looks in the playoffs. I personally think he's going to be just fine, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
My point is that he isn't good enough.

What is Jake McCabe really going to do to help this team with the cup?

This is a good offseason trade, but not what you want to see at the deadline for a team supposed to be "all-in".

Let's face it, at best he is Justin Hill's replacement.

That's not good enough.
you're right, there were a dozen Muzzin equivalents out there available for a song, and Dubas whiffed on all of them.
oh well :sarcasm:

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
you're right, there were a dozen Muzzin equivalents out there available for a song, and Dubas whiffed on all of them.
oh well :sarcasm:
Yes, and I heard Dave Dunn was ready to come out of retirement for the playoff run. Missed on that opportunity too.

But I didn't suggest that at all.

I simply said no one in their right mind would anoint him as saviour.

There was no implication that anyone had actually done so.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Dubas thinks it.

As a stand-alone trade I don't mind it. But when combined with all those other trades for crummy defensemen, plus the need to trade Sandin, it isn't a deadline deals that gets anyone excited.

If anything, remaking half the defense and reshaping a good chunk of the bottom of the roster doesn't exactly inspire fans to think the team was a contender to begin with.

Management sure didn't seem to think so.

Not so sure why anything has changed since TDL and McCabe was brought in as the best defenseman.
So the team that had the 5th highest point count in the league wouldn't have been considered a contender?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
McCabe was someone I was pushing for, along with Edmundson in that free agency class. I thought he would be a younger Muzzin replacement and had less tread on the tires.

Rough first year in Chicago coming off a knee injury but since then, quite solid.

He's definitely top 4 caliber and solid all around.

Last edited:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Yes, and I heard Dave Dunn was ready to come out of retirement for the playoff run. Missed on that opportunity too.

So the team that had the 5th highest point count in the league wouldn't have been considered a contender?
They have set regular season records three times with this core.

They finished second in goal scoring last year, and I believe have been top fine every year the last five year.

Had the easiest route to the cup finals two years ago.

It's the same team. With the same problems. Heading straight for the same results.

Why should I think anything different this time around?

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
He's terrific value at his cap hit. Essentially a solid middle pairing guy who is defense first but has a good outlet pass and decent vision. Physical edge to his game, despite the fact he's not all that huge. Sometimes he steps into hits and I'm thinking he's the guy that's going down, but he's gutsy and I like it.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Ekholm would have been my pick.
Sure there's better players to choose from, but the guy they got at the salary and term was an unreal addition...You have to look at the potential additions through the lens of a restrictive cap where 50% is already tied up on your top 6 fwds.

Reactions: TopCheese

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

They finished second in goal scoring last year, and I believe have been top fine every year the last five year.

It's the same team. With the same problems. Heading straight for the same results.

If you think a deadline acquisition is going to save this franchise from another 1st round exit get ready for disappointment. Leafs will only go as far as AM, Mitch, Willie, JT and Mo take them.

Samsonov just has to be league average and not lose them games.

Reactions: LeafGrief

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles

They'll succeed or fail based on this year, not previous or future years. But why even watch if you're so sure what's gonna happen?

Reactions: DarkKnight

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Last season line up

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-kampf-engval
Spezza-blackwell-kase

Rielly-lyubushkin
Muzzin-brodie
Giordano-holl/liljegren

Campbell

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Jarnkrok-tavares- nylander
Kerfoot-oreilly- lafferty
Aston-reese-
kampf-acciari

Rielly-Schenn
Mccabe-
Brodie
gio- holl/liljegren/gustafsson

samsonov/Murray

how it can be the same team when half of actual team was not there last season?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Cup Champions Washington Capitals say hi. :)
How many coaches and GM's did they go through before finally winning it all?

If you think a deadline acquisition is going to save this franchise from another 1st round exit get ready for disappointment. Leafs will only go as far as AM, Mitch, Willie, JT and Mo take them.

Samsonov just has to be league average and not lose them games.
I don't think this core will get it done on their own.

Instead of remaking the defense and bottom of the roster they should have traded Marner.

If Dubas' had even an inkling of survival instinct he would have made the BIG move.

Instead of repeating the same mistake he already made.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
They'll succeed or fail based on this year, not previous or future years. But why even watch if you're so sure what's gonna happen?
It's like drinking the wine at a funeral.

Just cause there is a corpse in front of you doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Last season line up

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-kampf-engval
Spezza-blackwell-kase

Rielly-lyubushkin
Muzzin-brodie
Giordano-holl/liljegren

Campbell

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Jarnkrok-tavares- nylander
Kerfoot-oreilly- lafferty
Aston-reese-
kampf-acciari

Rielly-Schenn
Mccabe-
Brodie
gio- holl/liljegren/gustafsson

samsonov/Murray

how it can be the same team when half of actual team was not there last season?
Because all they did was replace a few duds with a few other duds.

The proverbial shuffling of the deck chairs on the Titanic.

None of those guys are of any consequence. Interchangeable bottom of the roster scrubs. The core is still the same.

The fact you have Luke Schenn pencilled in as 1RHD tell me everything I need to know about how good you really think this teams defense is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad