Value of: Jake Guentzel

Sideline

May 23, 2004
When will people get over this crap? You're not scamming anything if you're playing within the rules. The GM's wanted this to be an option, and it is. Nobody is scamming or cheating the damn cap.
I'm not mad about it. My favorite team has won 5 cups in my lifetime, but it's pretty clearly against the spirit of the rules.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Agreed. It's just that "most" UFA's don't play with a linemate like Sidney Crosby. Obviously - some of them do, and they're likely well rewarded in their next contract for doing so. Probably just my hang-up with long term UFA contracts (what % of those contracts end up being "good"?).
"Playing with Crosby" is not the detriment you think it is. Anyone knowledgeable about Sid and Pens' history would know that it's actually rather difficult to play with Sid and have success. It takes a certain level of player to consistently work well and produce with him. While that may translate into high production what it also tells you is that Jake is capable of playing with star talents. He plays just as well with Malkin. Over the last 15 years, Pens fans have come to realize that not everyone can do it at the level Jake has sustained over the years.

So if you're the Avalanche wanting him with MacKinnon, or Vancouver with Pettersson, or Vegas with Eichel, or Edmonton with McDavid...there is absolutely a positive value to the "he plays well with Sid" part. If you are looking to nab him for the 2nd/3rd line with some random center, then fine whatever, but that's not where the market will be for him. Smart people know that. GMs know that.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Would the canes be interested in a swap centered around Jake (signed or w/ an agreement to sign) and necas as a base?

Necas is younger but Jake is more productive and still will be for the foreseeable future. Jake and aho together would torch teams.

Canes need a goalie? Ned has been killing it this year and is on a 1yr deal on the cheap. He could be included in an expanded deal if the canes would want him back.

• Haha
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
"Playing with Crosby" is not the detriment you think it is. Anyone knowledgeable about Sid and Pens' history would know that it's actually rather difficult to play with Sid and have success. It takes a certain level of player to consistently work well and produce with him. While that may translate into high production what it also tells you is that Jake is capable of playing with star talents. He plays just as well with Malkin. Over the last 15 years, Pens fans have come to realize that not everyone can do it at the level Jake has sustained over the years.

So if you're the Avalanche wanting him with MacKinnon, or Vancouver with Pettersson, or Vegas with Eichel, or Edmonton with McDavid...there is absolutely a positive value to the "he plays well with Sid" part. If you are looking to nab him for the 2nd/3rd line with some random center, then fine whatever, but that's not where the market will be for him. Smart people know that. GMs know that.
I agree with all those situations (aka - Nate, Eichel, EP, McD, etc.) that would be a good fit. The problem is that I doubt those teams will likely have the $8.5-10M cap space for the contract that Guetzel is desiring. As a rental for those teams - sure, it would be a great fit.

I was more referring to the team that signs JG to a big money long term deal in the off-season.

And I do agree that it's not always easy to play with star players.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
What? This team is going nowhere! We should absolutely get rid of Jake Provided the return is very good. Why sign him on a team that inevitably is a sinking ship? It's time to turn the page. How much more evidence could you possibly need? As far as RR goes he has little value if any. Jake would command a haul. You trade him 100%
Yea this team is old af they're only going to lose steam down the stretch. Definitely on the sell train

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Not saying you're wrong - but I've got a REALLY bad feeling about that contract. Wherever he's going he's unlikely to be playing with a Sidney Crosby level center. Always really liked his game, it's just tough to project his future production on a different organization IMO.
He's going to age well imo. His whole game is based around his intelligence and vision. He's weak, small, and slow. I don't foresee a dropoff for a few years at least.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
I though
Canes had Neds at one point and I don't remember it going well, so it unlikely that they'd want to reacquire him.
I could be wrong but i thought he was really good for them, it was with the redwings that his play dropped off a good bit.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Would the canes be interested in a swap centered around Jake (signed or w/ an agreement to sign) and necas as a base?

Necas is younger but Jake is more productive and still will be for the foreseeable future. Jake and aho together would torch teams.

Canes need a goalie? Ned has been killing it this year and is on a 1yr deal on the cheap. He could be included in an expanded deal if the canes would want him back.
I doubt Carolina is going to be interested in signing Guentzel to a UFA market rate contract (likely 6+ years) starting at age 30. The contracts they are trying to avoid are the mid 30s players whose production falls off.

Without an extension, no way he nabs Necas as a return.

Nedeljkovic I could see as a separate cheap pickup, although he would be a rental as Carolina didn't want to sign him long-term when he was an RFA.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
no guentzel, pens playoff chances significantly drops. Pens gonna be sellers by 3rd week

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
no guentzel, pens playoff chances significantly drops. Pens gonna be sellers by 3rd week
PENS were never gonna make the playoffs, Trade Jake and get big return, that's always more or less been the plan. Heck, for any team that wants him he'll be well rested for a playoff run.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The time frame may not be an issue, but the actual injury is a huge deal. His value has just plummeted.

Based on what?

Whoever trades for Guentzel is trading for him for his playoff performance. Whether he plays in 15 regular season games or 20 regular season games means absolutely nothing.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Not saying you're wrong - but I've got a REALLY bad feeling about that contract. Wherever he's going he's unlikely to be playing with a Sidney Crosby level center. Always really liked his game, it's just tough to project his future production on a different organization IMO.
Yes, plus he'll be 30. People throwing around silly numbers here. Anything over 3 or 4M long term would be a mistake.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Based on what?

Whoever trades for Guentzel is trading for him for his playoff performance. Whether he plays in 15 regular season games or 20 regular season games means absolutely nothing.
It absolutely does. It takes time to build chemistry for one and no one is gonna empty their prospect or picks wallet for a guy injured. There could have been a bidding war at this point this injury just minimized that substantially.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It absolutely does. It takes time to build chemistry for one and no one is gonna empty their prospect or picks wallet for a guy injured. There could have been a bidding war at this point this injury just minimized that substantially.

It's good to know that 20 games would be enough to build chemistry but 15 games would somehow prevent that.

Guentzel will be injured for a week beyond the trade deadline, that's it. Any team bringing him in is bringing him in for the playoffs, him missing a few regular season games is absolutely not going to have a notable impact on anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad