Rumor: Jake Gardiner's name 'in play'

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Wouldn't surprise me as a Leafs fan. His 4.05 cap hit isn't bad, but I could see the Leafs management wanting to spend that money elsewhere. He's a bit redundant with Reilly.

Lou and team have a road map of what they think the team will look like next year, if Zaitsev signs probably means Gardiner becomes even that more expendable. Plus you probably want to open up a spot or 2 for competition among Corrado and other prospects.

Is he in play, if I was GM I would certainly put him in play, will he get traded? Trades are tough to make, when you listen to the stores about how GM's get cold feet so frequently, you have to think a trade is not likely.

If he is traded I predict its Pittsburgh. :)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If Lou see's it this way, his time in the NHL should have been over last year, as the only D ahead of Gardiner on this team is Rielly. Go look up the stats of Dion with and without Gardiner.

Apparently Gunnarson made Dion better too... seems like EVERYONE makes Dion better orrrrrr

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lou and team have a road map of what they think the team will look like next year, if Zaitsev signs probably means Gardiner becomes even that more expendable. Plus you probably want to open up a spot or 2 for competition among Corrado and other prospects.

Is he in play, if I was GM I would certainly put him in play, will he get traded? Trades are tough to make, when you listen to the stores about how GM's get cold feet so frequently, you have to think a trade is not likely.

If he is traded I predict its Pittsburgh. :)

Zaitsev hasn't even stepped on NHL ice yet so I'd prefer to hold off on trading Gardiner who has arguably been the Leafs best and most consistent defender this season.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I guess he could be had, but for a team that lacks defensive talent, I'm not sure what type of return they would be looking for.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
LOL always the opposite eh Durr.

No but seriously, it's not personal lol! The kid is refusing to play for his AHL team because he hasn't been traded. How does that fit in with what Shanny, Babcock and Lou have been preaching? They've preached hard work, patience and dedication to the process, all things that Droiun has shown he doesn't have. It's exactly what people hate in our own players, yet when it's a new shiny prospect we overlook it?

Can you imagine contract talks with him and his agent when he breaks out?

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
No but seriously, the kid is refusing to play for his AHL team because he hasn't been traded. How does that fit in with what Shanny, Babcock and Lou have been preaching? They've preached hard work, patience and dedication to the process, all things that Droiun has shown he doesn't have. It's exactly what people hate in our own players, yet when it's a new shiny prospect we overlook it?

Can you imagine contract talks with him and his agent when he breaks out?

I guess we do over look it when its shiny new prospect, fours years after being drafted Kadri told the world a holdout is an option.

Asked if he is willing to hold out, Kadri told TSN, "I mean, if that's what it takes; I don't want to, that's for sure.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=681463

Drouin holding out says 2 things 1) He feels he is not being treated fairly and 2) is getting horrible advice from his agent because Drouin has no leverage.

So one player is a troublemaker/cancer and the other guy is a leader/star... funny how your selective in the standards you apply to different players.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I guess we do over look it when its shiny new prospect, fours years after being drafted Kadri told the world a holdout is an option.

Asked if he is willing to hold out, Kadri told TSN, "I mean, if that's what it takes; I don't want to, that's for sure.

Drouin holding out says 2 things 1) He feels he is not being treated fairly and 2) is getting horrible advice from his agent because Drouin has no leverage.

So one player is a troublemaker/cancer and the other guy is a leader/star... funny how your selective in the standards you apply to different players.

I like the possibility of Drouin given we are favourable in the deal, however, I would stay away. He could very well turn into a player, but I don't like his attitude during this process. I wouldn't be willing to pay a price of two very good prospects for one his who feels entitled and does not have the AHL numbers to backup his talk.

Look at the professionalism of Nylander in the same situation. He's graciously taken it as a challenge and wants to win with the Marlies. He trusts the brass and we can see his hard-work. I don't see that with Drouin, he went down the AHL and pouted when things got tough.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

That's completely different. Holding out in a negotiation and simply quitting midseason on your team (while under contract) is not the same thing, and if you think it is then this convo isn't worth having. Love how you can turn this into a Kadri debate LOL, we get it, you don't like the guy, but it's an awful comparable.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

This is blatantly misleading his argument.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

Not only did Kadri not holdout at all, he actually signed a very cap friendly deal that allowed us to retain Cody Franson as well.

All of that after coming off a huge season.

Basically, the consummate team-first player.

You can criticize him all you want, but at the end of the day, actions speak louder than words. He made it pretty clear that he wanted to show loyalty to his team.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Not only did Kadri not holdout at all, he actually signed a very cap friendly deal that allowed us to retain Cody Franson as well.

You can criticize him all you want, but at the end of the day, actions speak louder than words. He made it pretty clear that he wanted to show loyalty to his team.

His words were good too when he said publicly that he wanted to be a Leaf, then followed it up with them actions. I hope we stick with him through the rebuild.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Some people are just haters. It's not enough to spew nonsense in the Kadri thread, now he has to poison other discussions with this garbage. :shakehead

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I would think we have a better return later. He will improve under babcock again next year likely. Value is not everything. Just to trade is not savvy management. He has better value to keep presently from my standpoint. It might happen, but i wouldn't be very happy about it likely.

Floating his name out there doesn't make a deal imminent. It can takes years sometimes for a deal worth doing to come along.

But the # 1 time teams pay a premium for player is at the deadline.

Opening up NHL minutes for some guys to finish the season with like Corrado, Harrington, Percy, Loov, Marincin also gets those guys some NHL reps to prep for next season and beyond well also letting management better assess where those guys fit beyond this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad