Rumor: Jake Gardiner's name 'in play'

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
So were going to get rid of a really good player to make room for unproven prospects and players off the waiver wire?

I don't see a scenario where Gardiner gets moved at the TDL. He's the kind of player you keep at this point and start to fill prospects around. I agree that the D core is clogged up, but I don't see why Gardiner going is a solution, because we'd instantly be looking to find a player who is equal or better to him, which is no easy task. The right play is to shop Dion and Polak and make the younger players compete for spots.

Gardiner - beyond this season (remember small sample size- hasn't proven to be a "really good player" yet. I agree with you that I would trade Dion too, but the team is also about asset management. Part of that is "selling high". If they feel that Gardiner is an okay NHLer but they can get a good package for him, maybe they do it. Maybe they can't find a trade partner for Phaneuf. I'm not saying he's a primary target, but dmen seem to be a target right now in the NHL. And as we are a few years away from competing maybe Gardiner is getting big offers.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Zero chance of him being traded. He is our best d, and is carrying Phaneuf who is a disaster without him. The return we would have to get would be huge. Babcock and the boys understand his value and he is not being traded for some pie in the sky which will never be as good. Sorry that so many leaf fans have no understanding of how good he is. And he is on an excellent contract to boot.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oh is it? You forgetting what happened in 2011? The bryan mccabe trade?
Why isn't Sportsnet not credible and why so people say tsn is better is it because Sportsnet is owned by Rogers? That's why people don't like Sportsnet? I bet you anlot of people think that way.

No idea which is more credible but this is 2016. Wasn't Eklund on Sportsnet briefly around then?

I have no idea which is more credible, I don't put much stock into either.

Redundant? Most NHL teams play 6 Dmen in a game. So having Reilly and Gardiner wouldn't be an overabundance.
Montreal just sucked in the 70s have Lapointe, Robinson and Savard in the same lineup.

Which of those 3 does Gardiner remind you of?

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
No idea which is more credible but this is 2016. Wasn't Eklund on Sportsnet briefly around then?

Savard

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Zero chance of him being traded. He is our best d, and is carrying Phaneuf who is a disaster without him. The return we would have to get would be huge. Babcock and the boys understand his value and he is not being traded for some pie in the sky which will never be as good. Sorry that so many leaf fans have no understanding of how good he is. And he is on an excellent contract to boot.

There is not a player on this team that has zero chance of being traded.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I'm not sure why there is even a discussion about the credibility of the statement that Gardiner is "in play". Seems kind of a given to me that teams would inquire about Gardiner and the Leafs could consider moving him for the right price. That's what GM's do for a living.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm not sure why there is even a discussion about the credibility of the statement that Gardiner is "in play". Seems kind of a given to me that teams would inquire about Gardiner and the Leafs could consider moving him for the right price. That's what GM's do for a living.

Agreed, common sense would tell you anyone would be available.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Maybe Snow is getting zero offers of young top 4 D men offers for Hamonic so Lou may try to rob him with Gardiner

This is not a bad theory.

Snow is in a tough spot with Hamonic naming only a few teams of interest. I'm sure he's getting low-balled. Rumour has it (and logic) that he wants to replace Hamonic with a D-man. If Lou offers Gardiner and Corrado, maybe that's more than anyone else has offered. Like someone mentioned, Toronto has direct flights to the Peg. I mean, if Hamonic is willing to go to Minnesota and constantly go through the grueling process of boarding on a cross-border flight from an American airport, why wouldn't he consider Toronto, which would be way less of a hassle?

I'd be all over such a trade.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Jakes pretty good but if you have a hockey deal lined up I don't think anyone should complain if he's traded. I don't even know what the value is but I would imagine its pretty high.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I'll look forward to the comparisons at Gardiners HOF ceremony.

lol, I know.
But the pre-injured Savard, when he was still a spectacular skater, that is what Gardiner reminds me of. Certainly not Lapointe or Robinson.
I know he's not in that category, but I still believe he is an excellent defenceman whose game is too subtle for many fans to appreciate.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
lol, I know.
But the pre-injured Savard, when he was still a spectacular skater, that is what Gardiner reminds me of. Certainly not Lapointe or Robinson.
I know he's not in that category, but I still believe he is an excellent defenceman whose game is too subtle for many fans to appreciate.

:laugh: that must be it

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
I watched the last period last night, and I gotta say, Gardiner is just as poor in his decision making now as he has been his whole career. I hope he is traded, just because someone can skate does not mean they are NHL quality. Two blinding plays, where he failed to pickup a man after backchecking too far, and another where he failed to reverse a puck and instead forced it up the boards. Both plays led to great scoring opportunities for the bolts. These are the defensive lapses that have plagued Gardiner, and no amount of advanced stats is going to change my mind about his ability to be a solid defender. I see what I see, and unfortunately Gardiner is the one which I seem to notice making massive blunders at inopportune times due to his inability to decide.

If he is traded I hope the return is decent, he is a great skater and certainly has some great assets, but I am terrified when he is on the ice.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I watched the last period last night, and I gotta say, Gardiner is just as poor in his decision making now as he has been his whole career. I hope he is traded, just because someone can skate does not mean they are NHL quality. Two blinding plays, where he failed to pickup a man after backchecking too far, and another where he failed to reverse a puck and instead forced it up the boards. Both plays led to great scoring opportunities for the bolts. These are the defensive lapses that have plagued Gardiner, and no amount of advanced stats is going to change my mind about his ability to be a solid defender. I see what I see, and unfortunately Gardiner is the one which I seem to notice making massive blunders at inopportune times due to his inability to decide.

If he is traded I hope the return is decent, he is a great skater and certainly has some great assets, but I am terrified when he is on the ice.

He is definitely a guy who can scare both coaches on the same shift.:laugh:

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON

While I agree with your assessment of Gardiner's individual play, I do feel that in general he is a big reason Phaneuf looks like he's playing his old game again. Lately Phaneuf has been pinching in on plays more trying to generate some offense, Gardiner has stayed back. Gardiner stays back when Phaneuf lays down a big hit, etc.

Gardiner as an individual and as a D-man, not that great on the ice, especially lately for gaffes you mentioned. As a pairing, Gardiner is doing great affording Phaneuf extra time to make bigger impact plays.

I wouldn't be upset if we traded Gardiner, as long as we got someone back to continue giving Dion extra time and opportunities to play his game.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm not one to disregard others subjective opinion, but I rarely find myself having informed discussions with his detractors. If all you understand of defensive work is being tough in the corners, playing physical and not making mistakes, you are not likely to appreciate him.

As an example, how often do you see people complain about D-men and their lack of physicality? Very often. And it's an element that isn't necessarily needed to be effective. On the other hand, how often do you see people complain about D-men unable to maintain gap control and stick positioning? Hardly ever, and it's vital to playing defense.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
While I agree with your assessment of Gardiner's individual play, I do feel that in general he is a big reason Phaneuf looks like he's playing his old game again. Lately Phaneuf has been pinching in on plays more trying to generate some offense, Gardiner has stayed back. Gardiner stays back when Phaneuf lays down a big hit, etc.

Gardiner as an individual and as a D-man, not that great on the ice, especially lately for gaffes you mentioned. As a pairing, Gardiner is doing great affording Phaneuf extra time to make bigger impact plays.

I wouldn't be upset if we traded Gardiner, as long as we got someone back to continue giving Dion extra time and opportunities to play his game.

One thing that is possible is that there is a real offer on the table for Jake right now an that was released because Lou is doing his due diligence to see what more interest is peaked with other teams knowing he could be on the move. See who circles back around to outbid for him.

I think this name floating business is legit.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
This is not a bad theory.

Snow is in a tough spot with Hamonic naming only a few teams of interest. I'm sure he's getting low-balled. Rumour has it (and logic) that he wants to replace Hamonic with a D-man. If Lou offers Gardiner and Corrado, maybe that's more than anyone else has offered. Like someone mentioned, Toronto has direct flights to the Peg. I mean, if Hamonic is willing to go to Minnesota and constantly go through the grueling process of boarding on a cross-border flight from an American airport, why wouldn't he consider Toronto, which would be way less of a hassle?

I'd be all over such a trade.

Also closer to St. Malo, than Edmonton is.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kypreos is reliable for sure

In terms of Gardiner, I wouldn't shop him overly hard, but if I was blown away by a trade offer I'd make it.

His advanced stats in puck control, shot suppression etc are all really good, young and under control for a while.

Have to be open for deals, but my expectations for a return would be very high.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

hopefully Dion gets to play "his game" for another team , DP constantly gets caught out of position when he goes for a hit or gets caught on a bad pinch so playing "his game" doesn't really help the team

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Kypreos is reliable for sure

In terms of Gardiner, I wouldn't shop him overly hard, but if I was blown away by a trade offer I'd make it.

His advanced stats in puck control, shot suppression etc are all really good, young and under control for a while.

Have to be open for deals, but my expectations for a return would be very high.

Agreed.

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
hopefully Dion gets to play "his game" for another team , DP constantly gets caught out of position when he goes for a hit or gets caught on a bad pinch so playing "his game" doesn't really help the team

I somewhat agree...I agree that Dion gets caught more often than I'd like, and he is rather slow footed.

I also wouldn't be upset if we moved Phaneuf elsewhere.

That being said, lately when he's been allowed to play his game I've noticed (at least when Kadri is on the ice) there are guys getting back to cover when Dion makes a move...I've seen a bunch of shifts where Kadri, Komarov, Holland, etc have all busted their butt to get back and cover for him and take a chance away from the other team when he's been caught. To me, that's just good team play, letting a D-man make a big hit, or pinch in on the offense, someone has to take his place or be ready to get back in time if the D-man can't.

I don't think there is any denying Gardiner has helped DP open up some options, even if Dion chooses the worst one ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad