Rumor: Jake Gardiner's name 'in play'

bennerwha

Mar 30, 2009
trade him for a 7th... he is what he is a guy that makes mistakes but has moments where he looks great with zero results

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Unless it's a hefty overpayment, I would definitely be not in favour of trading Gardiner. We always complain about not having top 4 d-man, yet we have one right here on a great contract. Great possession player, good defensively and pretty much every player who plays with him, plays better. A great example is Phaneuf. He plays much better with Gardiner and struggles quite a bit away from him.

Still, I highly doubt the Leafs trade him. Him and Rielly will be staples on the blueline for quite some time.

KingBud97

Dec 15, 2006
Toronto
Edmonton needs skilled size

RNH is a wet noodle
Nail is a wet noodle
McDavid is a wet noodle

Yes they are very skilled players but all wet noodles

wandering goat

Oct 29, 2009
Woodstock, ON
If he's moved, it had better be for a fortune. Gardiner is so good and I think very underrated. He doesn't score a ton or make a lot of flashy plays, but his puck possession and movement is absolutely phenomenal. He's just a very smart player and great passer and looks so natural at it that his contributions often go unnoticed. Just take a look at some of his advanced stats, they've been crazy good, not just this year, but for a few years now.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
What?

Wouldn't surprise me as a Leafs fan. His 4.05 cap hit isn't bad, but I could see the Leafs management wanting to spend that money elsewhere. He's a bit redundant with Reilly.

Redundant? Most NHL teams play 6 Dmen in a game. So having Reilly and Gardiner wouldn't be an overabundance.
Montreal just sucked in the 70s have Lapointe, Robinson and Savard in the same lineup.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Every time I bumped into Kypreos he was with Mats Sundin, I don't think Sundin needs to hang around with bums. I like Kypreos quite a bit, what is the problem with him?

Yes, Lou is covert, but that doesn't mean that the people that he talks with on other teams don't have loose lips. I think Kypreos has too much to lose, to make things up. He has a good post playing career job, he is still doing it well, and he is not known to just flap his gums on stuff that isn't relevant.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
According to KY per Kadri was guaranteed to be moved each of the last four seasons, surprised he hasn't made that call yet. So I don't take anything he says with any substance.

Gardiner is expendable as I don't see him as a top four on a cup winning team, and may finally have some value around the league. People are all for selling high on Komarov, whereas Jake is in the same boat. I'd move him if the return was adaquate.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
I have absolutely zero interest in Eberle. Imo he is overrated and soft. I don't think Eberle is the kind of player that the Leafs want going forward. Need guys with heart and two way play to go along with skill.

Eberle is having a rough season, but to say he has no heart is a little overboard. As some who watches a lot of Oilers hockey over the past 10 years, he'd be a welcome addition to this team. Almost everyone is having a rough go in Edmonton and has to be draining on some guys. Change of scenery is a term that just sounds pretty, it actually has an effect on players. I

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Just like 95% of the current team, I'd be willing to trade Gardiner for the right price and if it helped them long term.

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
TSN is credible than Sportsnet.
So this is not true.

Oh is it? You forgetting what happened in 2011? The bryan mccabe trade?
Why isn't Sportsnet not credible and why so people say tsn is better is it because Sportsnet is owned by Rogers? That's why people don't like Sportsnet? I bet you anlot of people think that way.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I wonder if this has anything to do with the possibility of Zaitsev maybe signing

This is genius.

We clear cap (for Stamkos?, though I only want him at a discount and less term), and replace Jake with a much cheaper Zaitsev (and whatever return the trade nets...). Quite love it.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
what team would be interested and give up something significant for him?

in play seems a bit iffy. we arent exactly deep with top 4 defenseman. what are we going to move him for? another forward?

seems like more of he is available for right price but not actively being shopped is more like it

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
This is genius.

We clear cap (for Stamkos?, though I only want him at a discount and less term), and replace Jake with a much cheaper Zaitsev (and whatever return the trade nets...). Quite love it.

Possibly, but you don't move a top four defenseman because you think an unknown entity in the NHL replaces him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad