Rumor: Jake Gardiner's name 'in play'

bobbyt 91*

Maybe Snow is getting zero offers of young top 4 D men offers for Hamonic so Lou may try to rob him with Gardiner

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Funny I called my father and we always talk hockey. We went through the lineup and when we hit Jake he said, he doesn't like his focus. Great skater though.

I like Jake myself but wouldn't be up in arms about him being traded.

Andrew Mack

Mar 20, 2009
Niagara Region, ON
I think Gardiner is part of the solution but you have to listen on anyone. If there is something that makes sense, you listen. I'd be hard pressed to think what could possibly be out there better than a good #2/#3 young defender, but who knows.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm pretty skeptical based on 1)Kypreos is nothing but hot air most of the time and 2) Gardiner seems to be the ideal player for the new management regime - ie young , good possession player, ect.

That said, if another team was willing to noticeably overpay he's fair game to move.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Wouldn't surprise me as a Leafs fan. His 4.05 cap hit isn't bad, but I could see the Leafs management wanting to spend that money elsewhere. He's a bit redundant with Reilly.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Nothing wrong with throwing his name out there and while he's good in shots f/a he really doesn't accomplish much. He's not used on the PK and he does little on the PP so really at the end of the day he's expendable.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wouldn't be upset, especially if we get a good return. He's proven, but we have a lot of good young guys coming up. Any way you slice it, only Rielly is safe, and therefore there is something like 9 guys fighting for 6 spots next year. One of them (Loov) can be sent down, but there's still at least 2 guys that need to be moved out, and that's assuming we don't bring anyone else into the organization.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I don't see why this should surprise anyone. He has been solid this year. He hasn't been outstanding, just solid. In comparison to some of his recent seasons and in comparison to some of the other guys on the team, his play looks outstanding, but in the grand scheme of things I just see an average defenseman.

Of course he could get better, but he's been around long enough that I can understand if the team thinks he is what he is.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I know that Toronto isn't going to release any information on their end.

I'm guessing Kyper asked other teams to get the gauge on what the Leafs were asking and who else would be available. Keep in mind that Kyper broke the Kessel trade this past off-season.

If Gardiner is traded, it's going to be for a player that is more defensive minded around the same age.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
He's been better under Babcock but if another team likes him and values him more than our management does, cash in the chips and see what we can get!

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I could see a few teams interested in Gardiner

To Edmonton:
Gardiner

To Toronto
Eberle (1mil retained)

What other teams might be interested?
Maybe St. Louis, Boston, Dallas, Buffalo, Carolina, Collorado, New Jersey, Phoenix

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

To Edmonton:
Gardiner

To Toronto
Eberle (1mil retained)

Maybe St. Louis, Boston, Dallas, Buffalo, Carolina, Collorado, New Jersey, Phoenix

eberle a little injury prone. dont want to touch that.

imo if gardiner it is moved its for futures and some salary back

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

To Edmonton:
Gardiner

To Toronto
Eberle (1mil retained)

I have absolutely zero interest in Eberle. Imo he is overrated and soft. I don't think Eberle is the kind of player that the Leafs want going forward. Need guys with heart and two way play to go along with skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad