Jake Gardiner

• Thread starter Vladimir Tarasenko*
  • Start date

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I like how people compare some players...

"He's like a better skating, more offensive Beauchemin".

So....he's basically NOT AT ALL like Beauch?

How about come up with a better comparison.

Here's one;

Kim Johnsson

Like most have said, Gardiner's an effortless skater. He's got a strong first pass and will be an asset in the transition game at most any level. He's not going to fill the net at all that often as his scoring game isn't very well developed. He's a long, lanky kid that isn't going to be overly physical. I can see him developing into a pretty reliable defender ala Johnsson.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
With Gardiner specifically, that problably won't be a problem. Aulie is going to play as soon as Mitchell clears waivers, and in preseason, Jesse Blacker arguably showed that he was capable of being an NHLer... the big thing was that with something like 15 defencemen under contract (Phaneuf, Beauchemin, Kaberle, Schenn, Komisarek, Lebda, Finger, Richmond, Lashoff, Holzer, Aulie, Gysbers, Mikus, Blacker), he was the only one eligible to play in junior.

He's got an uphill battle to get on the Leafs roster unless they're dumb enough to lose Kaberle without replacing him.

How cna Blacker have shown that he can be an NHLer, when he was one of the first cuts from WJC team. If he cant beat a guys his own age, how is he gonna play with guys twice his age...you are so biased its unbelievable. Blacker will be AT BEST a good 6th dman.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
How cna Blacker have shown that he can be an NHLer, when he was one of the first cuts from WJC team. If he cant beat a guys his own age, how is he gonna play with guys twice his age...you are so biased its unbelievable. Blacker will be AT BEST a good 6th dman.
It's good to know that if you make a WJC team that you're guaranteed a spot in the NHL. Anyone that doesn't make it should just quit hockey IMO.

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
Boston POV

I remember the 2006 and 2008 drafts very well. In 2006 I wanted Boston in the bottom-5 because (IMO) there were 5 stud players. When Boston moved ahead of Long Island for 5th place I was rather excited.

2008, Boston made the playoffs, took Montreal to 7 games and had the #16 pick. They were a young team with a few vets (Chara, Savard and Thomas). They had a minus goal diff and were missing Patrice Bergeron, so the hopes of Boston advancing were slim. The fan base was hoping to draft a young defenseman with that pick because Boston has no young up-and-coming defenseman.

A lot of us were hoping they would take Jake Gardiner, but instead they took Joe Colborne. Both were considered long-term projects, needing to go to college, add weight then go to the AHL for a year or 2 then (around the age of 24) be ready for the NHL. Gardiner has been a bust (IMO) until this year. I watch a fair amount of college hockey (way more then CHL) and he was really unimpressive until this year.

This year he's been studly, 4th on his team in points, 2nd in the nation in points for a defenseman. He has a very very good 1st pass and looks good in his own zone. He's add enough weight (IMO) to play at the AHL or NHL level. His skating is good but he is not as smooth as Kaberle and his passing (while very good) is not as good as Kaberle's.

IMO, at worst he'll be a larger Ian White. A solid #4 guy that can play some PP, PK and should have a 10 year career. Nothing wrong with that from a mid-1st pick. IMO it's still too early to tell if he can be a #1/2 defenseman. He doesn't have the raw skill like Doughty, Scheen, Myers, Folwer to make the NHL at such a young age.

Either way, it's a great trade for Toronto. He could turn out to be a really good player. We really won't know until he gets to The AHL and starts playing against men.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I think a Gardiner-Schenn pairing would be a good one IMO

Yeah I'm pretty pumped about the Ryan Button Zdeno Chara pairing.

Hes still in college, probably playing in the AHL next year, and most likely not on the top pairing the following year...aka three years til he can possibly make a significant impact, and you're pairing him with Schenn already?

Looks like a solid prospect though, you guys definitely came out on top in this one.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Gardiner is now more highly regarded in one day than he ever was with Anaheim. The 'Eric Tangradi' effect. Expect his HF rating to be through the roof the next time its issued.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
His HF rating was already 8.0C. That's as high as all but a select few of elite prospects on this site.

Here's all the guys rated 8.0C or better on this site before this season:

T.Hall - 9.0C (graduated)
T.Seguin - 8.5C (graduated)
N.Filatov - 8.5C (graduated)

J.Markstrom - 8.5 C
C.Kreider - 8.5C
C.Hodgson - 8.5C
P.K.Subban - 8.0B (graduated)
J.Bernier - 8.0B (graduated)
D.Stepan - 8.0B (graduated)

J.Blum - 8.0B
E.Grachev - 8.0B
E.Tangradi - 8.0B
C.Fowler - 8.5D (graduated)
A.Burmistrov - 8.0C (graduated)
K.Shattenkirk - 8.0C (graduated)
O.Ekman-Larsson - 8.0C (graduated)
J.Kindl - 8.0C (graduated)
J.Eberle - 8.0C (graduated)
M.Paajarvi - 8.0C (graduated)

J.Gardiner - 8.0C
N.Kadri - 8.0C
S.Elliott - 8.0C
R.Johansen - 8.0C
J.Campbell - 8.0C
E.Gudbranson - 8.0C
B.Schenn - 8.0C
M.Granlund - 8.0C
J.Cowen - 8.0C
S.Depres - 8.0C
J.Schwartz - 8.0C
V.Tarasenko - 8.0C

Last edited:

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
It's good to know that if you make a WJC team that you're guaranteed a spot in the NHL. Anyone that doesn't make it should just quit hockey IMO.

Ummm I never said any of that haha.. ... ...people were saying how he can be a top 4 d-man. Honestly, EVERYONE knows he can't. To go back to my example, how can you say that now when he, not even 6 months ago, was the first cut from the WJC. That does not make sense. Btw, your picture, thats what your comments make you look like....derrrrp

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Here's one;

Kim Johnsson

Like most have said, Gardiner's an effortless skater. He's got a strong first pass and will be an asset in the transition game at most any level. He's not going to fill the net at all that often as his scoring game isn't very well developed. He's a long, lanky kid that isn't going to be overly physical. I can see him developing into a pretty reliable defender ala Johnsson.

Sounds a bit like Paul Martin.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I remember the 2006 and 2008 drafts very well. In 2006 I wanted Boston in the bottom-5 because (IMO) there were 5 stud players. When Boston moved ahead of Long Island for 5th place I was rather excited.

2008, Boston made the playoffs, took Montreal to 7 games and had the #16 pick. They were a young team with a few vets (Chara, Savard and Thomas). They had a minus goal diff and were missing Patrice Bergeron, so the hopes of Boston advancing were slim. The fan base was hoping to draft a young defenseman with that pick because Boston has no young up-and-coming defenseman.

A lot of us were hoping they would take Jake Gardiner, but instead they took Joe Colborne. Both were considered long-term projects, needing to go to college, add weight then go to the AHL for a year or 2 then (around the age of 24) be ready for the NHL. Gardiner has been a bust (IMO) until this year. I watch a fair amount of college hockey (way more then CHL) and he was really unimpressive until this year.

This year he's been studly, 4th on his team in points, 2nd in the nation in points for a defenseman. He has a very very good 1st pass and looks good in his own zone. He's add enough weight (IMO) to play at the AHL or NHL level. His skating is good but he is not as smooth as Kaberle and his passing (while very good) is not as good as Kaberle's.

IMO, at worst he'll be a larger Ian White. A solid #4 guy that can play some PP, PK and should have a 10 year career. Nothing wrong with that from a mid-1st pick. IMO it's still too early to tell if he can be a #1/2 defenseman. He doesn't have the raw skill like Doughty, Scheen, Myers, Folwer to make the NHL at such a young age.

Either way, it's a great trade for Toronto. He could turn out to be a really good player. We really won't know until he gets to The AHL and starts playing against men.

Good post, thanks for the input BR. Very informative post. He definitely adds an element to the Leafs prospect cupboard that is lacking. Hopefully he can become a solid second pairing guy that plays a good all around game. I think it would be very lucky if he became a top pairing guy, so i won't get my expectations too high. I am very happy for this trade though.

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
NewEraGM said:
Ummm I never said any of that haha.. ... ...people were saying how he can be a top 4 d-man. Honestly, EVERYONE knows he can't. To go back to my example, how can you say that now when he, not even 6 months ago, was the first cut from the WJC. That does not make sense. Btw, your picture, thats what your comments make you look like....derrrrp
Deeerrp. Do you need a list of players that were cut from the world junior team who went on to damn impressive nhl careers?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

He looked better than most proven NHL defencemen.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Gardiner is now more highly regarded in one day than he ever was with Anaheim. The 'Eric Tangradi' effect. Expect his HF rating to be through the roof the next time its issued.

Yes because slightly adjusting a statistic on which HF stakes their legitimacy in order to momentarily please Leafs fans is a really good idea.

Pyke*

Just keep in mind that NCAA stats don't necessarily translate well.

Here's a comparison for you...

Gardiner:
17th overall 2008, DOB: July 4, 1990, 6'2 / 181, Shoots Left

2008-2009: WCHA (Wisconsin): 39gp, 3g, 18a, 21pts, 16 PIM
2009-2010: WCHA (Wisconsin): 41gp, 6g, 7a, 13pts, 20 PIM
2010-2011: WCHA (Wisconsin): 30gp, 7g, 23a, 30pts, 22 PIM

Wiercioch:
42nd overall 2008, DOB: Sept. 12, 1990, 6'4 / 185, Shoots Left

2008-2009: WCHA (Denver) 36gp, 12g, 23a, 35pts, 26 PIM
2009-2010: WCHA (Denver) 39gp, 6g, 21a, 27pts, 34 PIM (had an injury but played through)
2010-2011: AHL (Binghamton) 45gp, 3g, 3a, 6pts, 13 PIM

-=-=-

In short, while I think the Leafs won the trade, don't expect Gardiner to be an impact player on your roster for a while.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Obviously Leafs prospects get a lot more ATTENTION than prospects from smaller market teams, but I wouldn't say they get over hyped in general. When is the last time the Leafs have had a prospect that was seen as anything close to a blue chipper? Even the high picks (like Kadri now, or Schenn before he was a regular NHLer) are viewed with a lot of skepticism (as they should be). The only recent Leafs prospects that I can think of that got underserving hype were Pogge (but goalies are so unpredictable) and Stralman (and really, Swedes love to over hype their dman prospects, they claim they have generational talent dman coming through the ranks like every year or two). A lot of prospects seem to get more highly regarded (though with less attention paid to them) once they leave the Leafs, Tuukka Rask for example.

If anything, I'd bet Gardiner's HF rating gets dropped next time they update it. Lots of attention for a prospect often just means people picking holes in your game (see Cam Fowler, who simply suffered from being in the spotlight too long).

Sounds a bit like Paul Martin.
If he could become a Paul Martin for us a few years down the line, that'd be fantastic.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
In short, while I think the Leafs won the trade, don't expect Gardiner to be an impact player on your roster for a while.

Hopefully Gardiner finds success like other NCAA D prospects who played a full 3 seasons like Petry, Shattenkirk or McBain.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Gardiner:

Wiercioch:

2009-2010: WCHA (Denver) 39gp, 6g, 21a, 27pts, 34 PIM (had an injury but played through)

-=-=-

They tend to translate much better then most other leagues do. One thing I do know is, I'll take a PPG d-man over one who isn't.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Gardiner:

Wiercioch:

-=-=-

A better comparison may be to compare his stats to those of his teammate last year Brendan Smith.

Smith had a lot of injuries and was unimpressive really up until his third year in the NCAA when he blew up for 52 points and was in the running for the hobey baker.

Smith in his AHL rookie season was voted an all star and has put up quite a few points for a rookie. It really all depends on the player whether or not it translates

Leafsnation101

Jan 25, 2011
Imo you can't compare anyone to other ppl,you also can't predict young prospects future in the nhl (points and all around play) only thing you can do is jus sit back and wait and see how he plays in the nhl

Who would guess datsyuk would be one of the worlds greatest players when he was 18,his pts didn't show he had that potential, no one saw it happening,till he unraveled in the nhl

Only time will tell for gardiner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad