Jake Gardiner

• Thread starter Vladimir Tarasenko*
  • Start date

AK

May 31, 2008
I saw him a few weeks ago and was blown away by how much better he was than everyone else on the ice. He's a very smooth skater and a good passer.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
To be honest, Ducks lost this trade.

I picture Gardiner as a more offensive Beauchemin who doesnt lack on the defensive end either. Like another poster mentioned, his skating is effortless, his strides are powerful, and he can push the puck out of his own zone.

Just for Gardiner it probably wouldve been worth it to move Beauchemin, but the Leafs got Lupul and a pick added on.
I actually think the Lupul part was probably an Anaheim demand. He's got offensive talent but many issues (health issues, somewhat soft, not great defensively), he's paid quite a bit for this season and the next 2, and the Ducks don't really have room for him with Perry, Ryan and Selanne all being natural RWs, I'm sure they were looking to dump his contract. He could flourish with increased offensive responsibility in Toronto (like Grabovski and MacArthur did), but he could easily end up being an overpaid, marginal contributor.

The way I see it this trade was Beauchemin for Gardiner, but the Leafs needed to add more value somehow, and did this by taking on Lupul's contract, which the Ducks didn't want. Whether Lupul actually works out for us or not is yet to be seen, but the key to this trade from the Leaf's POV is Gardiner's development down the line.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I actually think the Lupul part was probably an Anaheim demand. He's got offensive talent but many issues (health issues, somewhat soft, not great defensively), he's paid quite a bit for this season and the next 2, and the Ducks don't really have room for him with Perry, Ryan and Selanne all being natural RWs, I'm sure they were looking to dump his contract. He could flourish with increased offensive responsibility in Toronto (like Grabovski and MacArthur did), but he could easily end up being an overpaid, marginal contributor.

The way I see it this trade was Beauchemin for Gardiner, but the Leafs needed to add more value somehow, and did this by taking on Lupul's contract, which the Ducks didn't want. Whether Lupul actually works out for us or not is yet to be seen, but the key to this trade from the Leaf's POV is Gardiner's development down the line.

Burke said in the press conference that he inquired about Lupul because he noticed that he simply wasn't getting a lot of ice time after he returned from injury, and wondered if he would be available. Upon inquiring, the Ducks said Beauchemin would have to be involved in that deal, and it went on from there. Take it for what you will, but from what Burke said, it started with Lupul, not Gardiner.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
To be honest, Ducks lost this trade.

I picture Gardiner as a more offensive Beauchemin who doesnt lack on the defensive end either. Like another poster mentioned, his skating is effortless, his strides are powerful, and he can push the puck out of his own zone.

Just for Gardiner it probably wouldve been worth it to move Beauchemin, but the Leafs got Lupul and a pick added on.
Not so sure about that. I think both came out OK

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Burke said in the press conference that he inquired about Lupul because he noticed that he simply wasn't getting a lot of ice time after he returned from injury, and wondered if he would be available. Upon inquiring, the Ducks said Beauchemin would have to be involved in that deal, and it went on from there. Take it for what you will, but from what Burke said, it started with Lupul, not Gardiner.
Interesting. Maybe Burke had Lupul for Komi in mind (bad contract for bad contract), Ducks only wanted Beauch, so they had to add a good prospect in Gardiner?

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Interesting. Maybe Burke had Lupul for Komi in mind (bad contract for bad contract), Ducks only wanted Beauch, so they had to add a good prospect in Gardiner?

Could have been that way for sure. Burke could have approaching by looking to swap Komisarek's bad contract for Lupul, Ducks wanted Beauchemin, and in turn Gardiner needed to be added.

At any rate, it is nice to know that Lupul wasn't just a dump, and that Burke has faith that Lupul can become a solid player for us.

Vladimir Tarasenko*

I think a Gardiner-Schenn pairing would be a good one IMO

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
omg.. ducks got HOSED again by burke.. murray keep bending over more for burke.. seriously..

gardiner imo is a stud. top potential is a 1b/#2 defenseman.. probably wont be a number 1 guy but will be able to anchor a solid pairing..

solid 2-way d-man.. tbh beauch is a decent comparison.. but better offensively and w/o the boneheaded turnovers from time to time.. i wish we could've kept gardiner.. we have other d-prospects such as vatanen who i'd rather have given up

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
omg.. ducks got HOSED again by burke.. murray keep bending over more for burke.. seriously..

gardiner imo is a stud. top potential is a 1b/#2 defenseman.. probably wont be a number 1 guy but will be able to anchor a solid pairing..

solid 2-way d-man.. tbh beauch is a decent comparison.. but better offensively and w/o the boneheaded turnovers from time to time.. i wish we could've kept gardiner.. we have other d-prospects such as vatanen who i'd rather have given up

Coming from someone who said Lupul would be a 50/50 guy I am embarrassed to keep finding your posts today..

Hanson95

Aug 14, 2009
Nova Scotia
regardless on your opinion on Pierre, you can't say that he isn't extremely knowledgable.

Well in my opinion he talks about things he doesn't know about and seems to have a stiffie for all Canadian World Junior players, regardless if they're worse than their counterparts on the ice.

Vladimir Tarasenko*

how is mark giordano as a comparision?

yes? no? maybe? :p

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

I am convinced you have not seen Gardiner play. I am not expert but have seen him play about 15 times, and he is in no way a stud..could he develop into a good nhler, yes but i think it is very unlikely he tops out as anything more than a Beauchemin type player, look at his numbers before playing with Justin Schultz....

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
I am convinced you have not seen Gardiner play. I am not expert but have seen him play about 15 times, and he is in no way a stud..could he develop into a good nhler, yes but i think it is very unlikely he tops out as anything more than a Beauchemin type player, look at his numbers before playing with Justin Schultz....

He was behind Smith, McBain, McDonagh, along with Schultz and Goloubef growing as a player... and last year he was supposedly asked to concentrate on defense.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
He was behind Smith, McBain, McDonagh, along with Schultz and Goloubef growing as a player... and last year he was supposedly asked to concentrate on defense.

that is true, but the point im making is that from watching them play together, i think more of Gardiner's production offensively is a product of Schultz... although Gardiner is better defensively. trust me i do think Gardiner is a good prospect, just a long shot to be more than a 2nd paring D-Man, which is certainly not a bad thing.

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
It's nice to have a first round pick in the system, lord knows we're lacking in those. Seems like a good pick-up, hope to see him donning a Leafs jersey in a few years.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

The main thing I took from the McKenize article was that coach Eaves said that Gardiner was good at reading the play coming out of his zone, either passing the puck up or carrying it up himself.

His ability to read the play at the offensive zone needs work, which is interesting.... So, sounds like a guy who makes some poor decisions reading pinching and either getting the puck on net or reading when the shooting lane is block and the need to move the puck down low to a forward.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like how people compare some players...

"He's like a better skating, more offensive Beauchemin".

So....he's basically NOT AT ALL like Beauch?

How about come up with a better comparison.

Jcpsr

Aug 18, 2010
Not so sure about that. I think both came out OK

I think so too.
Gardiner at best would be making his debut when the Ducks other prospects(Etem, Palmieri, etc) are already are at the NHL level performing and their a stronger contender then that wont need Gardiner.
For the Leafs he'd be a better fit given he's a while away.

Beauchimen did well in the Ducks style of play + he's a upgrade over Mara/Lilja and they get a salary dump of Lupul.
Lupul is a worthy gamble for the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad