Jake Gardiner

• Thread starter Vladimir Tarasenko*
  • Start date

Vladimir Tarasenko*

as a Leaf fan I wanna know more about him. Can any ducks fans or anyone that has seen him play tell me a little? apparently he's a 8.0C on hockey future's and listed as anaheim's 2nd best prospect, and is probably the leaf's 2nd best prospect now as-well.

I know he was a 1st rounder and having a solid season in NCAA

Vladimir Tarasenko*

he has 30 points in 30 games, +18 in the ncaa, 2nd in scoring amonst d-men and is described as an OFD on hf so hopefully he can turn out to be a pretty decent offensive guy

Milan the God*

From what I've heard his potential is a Francois Beauchemin type of guy. That's not a bad thing. A top four two-way defenseman.

Nidema

Oct 28, 2009
Can't remember, did he play with Team USA at the WJC last year or the year before?

Jerky Leclerc

Feb 27, 2002
Anaheim
Visit site
The problem with Gardiner is that he will take time to develop. He has all the tools but not necessarily a toolbox. Asking Leaf Nation to be patient with a prospect is going to be hard, almost impossible.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
McKenzie's commentary -

NHL scouts believe it's probably in Gardiner's best interests to turn pro at the end of this college season because he needs to be challenged to play at the next level and he's not going to get those challenges in college hockey. The scouts do not think, generally speaking, he's ready to step into the NHL as a fulltime player and will need a year of apprenticeship in the American Hockey League to get used to the more physical, pro game against bigger, stronger players.

In general terms, Gardiner is not considered a blue-chip or elite or can't miss NHL prospect but he is by no means a longshot either. A "solid" or "decent" prospect, according to a number of scouts surveyed by TSN, but still with a lot to prove.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Ya, your best bet is to read McKenzie's article at tsn.ca....I mean seriously who knows more then that guy?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sounds exciting, though a kid with no toolbox is usually a warning sign, a la Ric Jackman, Matt Lashoff, for example.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
i'm liking his potential, especially that he has great skating ability, a probable 40pt 2-way guy(possible#2?) if he makes it the nhl. i'd be willing to take time with him, because I think blacker is a similar prospect(and can develop together for 2 years in the ahl) but gardiner probably has a higher upside.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The problem with Gardiner is that he will take time to develop. He has all the tools but not necessarily a toolbox. Asking Leaf Nation to be patient with a prospect is going to be hard, almost impossible.

With Gardiner specifically, that problably won't be a problem. Aulie is going to play as soon as Mitchell clears waivers, and in preseason, Jesse Blacker arguably showed that he was capable of being an NHLer... the big thing was that with something like 15 defencemen under contract (Phaneuf, Beauchemin, Kaberle, Schenn, Komisarek, Lebda, Finger, Richmond, Lashoff, Holzer, Aulie, Gysbers, Mikus, Blacker), he was the only one eligible to play in junior.

He's got an uphill battle to get on the Leafs roster unless they're dumb enough to lose Kaberle without replacing him.

member 30781

To be honest, Ducks lost this trade.

I picture Gardiner as a more offensive Beauchemin who doesnt lack on the defensive end either. Like another poster mentioned, his skating is effortless, his strides are powerful, and he can push the puck out of his own zone.

Just for Gardiner it probably wouldve been worth it to move Beauchemin, but the Leafs got Lupul and a pick added on.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I really know nothing about this kid except what I've read, but it sounds like he's a great skater with good size and solid offensive ability, decent defensively too, but needs to pack on a few more pounds and get a touch smarter with the puck. No problem with him spending next year in the AHL and taking it from there, we have plenty of young dmen in the system like Schenn, Gunnarsson, Aulie, Blacker, etc., so there's no rush with his development. If he can develop into a solid top 4 dman for us down the road that'd be great.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
A Beauchemin who can skate like the wind and be a little more offensively capable is what I've heard. Hopefully he works out.

member 30781

Also add in the Burke has had a hard on for Gardiner since his draft year...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->