Jake Gardiner

• Thread starter Vladimir Tarasenko*
  • Start date

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I don't see it at all. He has nowhere near the defensive smarts that Martin has. They are very different players, if you ask me.

Hedican might have been the best comparison thrown out there so far.

I was referring more to the offensive side, good first pass, good skater but not much of a goal scorer.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I was referring more to the offensive side, good first pass, good skater but not much of a goal scorer.

I don't even think they resemble each other that way. Gardiner is a better playmaker on the point than Martin and will definitely put up more points. He won't score, but he can and will take risks with the puck (Martin is much more conservative).

I love Martin, really. Two different players here, though.

You want a REAL clone of Martin? Take a look at McDonagh. He's a mirror image of the current NHL Paul Martin . Both guys have around 30 point upside or so (Martin might hit 35) and play a very safe pass first style of game. Always wondered why Martin's offense never translated well at the NHL level (McDonagh's has, but only because it never really developed the way it should have).

McDonagh is a better skater than Martin, but Martin has better offense. I really think those guys are similar players. I don't think Gardiner is really like either of them, to be honest.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I don't even think they resemble each other that way. Gardiner is a better playmaker on the point than Martin and will definitely put up more points. He won't score, but he can and will take risks with the puck (Martin is much more conservative).

I love Martin, really. Two different players here, though.

You want a REAL clone of Martin? Take a look at McDonagh. He's a mirror image of the current NHL Paul Martin . Both guys have around 30 point upside or so (Martin might hit 35) and play a very safe pass first style of game. Always wondered why Martin's offense never translated well at the NHL level (McDonagh's has, but only because it never really developed the way it should have).

McDonagh is a better skater than Martin, but Martin has better offense. I really think those guys are similar players. I don't think Gardiner is really like either of them, to be honest.

McDonagh a better skater than Martin? Martin's a very good skater in his own right. McDonagh might be a more powerful skater but Martin is more elusive. McDonagh might have 30 point upside but he's more likely to put 20ish points most season, 30 in a career year. McDonagh also has a more physical edge to his game while Martin's defence is purely based on smart positioning and good stick work.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
McDonagh a better skater than Martin? Martin's a very good skater in his own right. McDonagh might be a more powerful skater but Martin is more elusive. McDonagh might have 30 point upside but he's more likely to put 20ish points most season, 30 in a career year. McDonagh also has a more physical edge to his game while Martin's defence is purely based on smart positioning and good stick work.

McDonagh is a great skater with very good agility in his own end.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
His NCAA stats from last season are very misleading. Last season he was on the top shutdown pairing, 1st PK, and 2nd PP(sometimes not at all). Eaves basically had him focus all of his talents on defense because there was already Brendan Smith and Justin Schultz for offense. He did exactly what was asked of him by his coaches, then was on the USA team primarily in a shutdown role and #1 PK because there was no need for him to be offensive, and has done the same this year taking on a larger offensive role while still being on the shutdown pairing, #1 PK unit, and #1 PP unit. The kid can do it all. Let's not forget he played forward until he was 15 or 16.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
His NCAA stats from last season are very misleading. Last season he was on the top shutdown pairing, 1st PK, and 2nd PP(sometimes not at all). Eaves basically had him focus all of his talents on defense because there was already Brendan Smith and Justin Schultz for offense. He did exactly what was asked of him by his coaches, then was on the USA team primarily in a shutdown role and #1 PK because there was no need for him to be offensive, and has done the same this year taking on a larger offensive role while still being on the shutdown pairing, #1 PK unit, and #1 PP unit. The kid can do it all. Let's not forget he played forward until he was 15 or 16.

Thanks for letting us know!

Maybe it's just me but he reminds a little bit of Bouwmesster. Anyone else see that comparison?

Wildlife

Sep 16, 2009
Minnesota
I played against Gardiner in Bantams and boy was he hard to play against. He has solid potential and could make a good impact in the NHL in the future, just give him a year or two of pros to develop his skills.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Thanks for letting us know!

Maybe it's just me but he reminds a little bit of Bouwmesster. Anyone else see that comparison?

Bouwmeester is like 6'4 215 lbs or something. I don't know who exactly to compare him to, I've heard Hedican, but Gardiner should offer more offensive upside than Hedican. I see more of a Ryan Suter mold, but with better skating if that makes any sense. He will probably fill out at about the same size 6'1 200 lbs, not overly physical, good positioning, great active stick, makes a good 1st pass, will put up 35-45 pts if in the right situation, but just lacks that final ability or creativity to be an elite offensive minded defenseman. Of course this is if everything goes as planned for Jake, but he seems to have all the tools and right mentality to put it all together.

He has proven all he can in the NCAA from having a tremendous Freshman year, to really cracking down on the defensive side of the game his 2nd year, and putting it all together in his Junior season being 11th OVERALL in points and a Hobey Baker Award finalist. People who say he is a bust or a for sure thing are both smoking the crack pipe.

PS: You're going to be amazed when you see the kid skate live.

TYayo

Sep 10, 2009
My bet
Ceiling -Top Pairing D-man Good for 10G 40A a season
Floor - NHL Fringe Player..might have a cup of tea in the show but won't last or make any impact
:dunno:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
the kid will have a promising future, and from looking at the list of college dmen that stayed 3 years in college then going pro, the future does look bright.

Look at Ryan Mcdonagh, Steven Kampfer (all 4 years), Jeff Petry, Jamie McBain, Justin Braun, and Kevin Shattenkirk, all of these kids stayed patient (minimum three years) in college, and now all are looking to be high end players as rookies. Pretty amazing crop if you ask me. Throw in Mark Fayne (all 4 years) and Ian Cole, and the list gets even more impressive from players who stuck it out in the NCAA on the defensive side.

It seems like staying to your junior is the "in" thing for top end college dmen, so I would assume Gardiner turns pro and makes it to the NHL fairly quickly like the kids listed above have done.

JeffShibley

Jul 31, 2005
I like how people compare some players...

"He's like a better skating, more offensive Beauchemin".

So....he's basically NOT AT ALL like Beauch?

How about come up with a better comparison.

I agree with this. Being a ducks fan when I think of Beauchemin, I think of a very physical player too. I've seen Gardnier play several times and i don't think of him as physical at all, but he is a great skater, and I think he will be a good NHL defenseman one day. David McNab the assistant GM said that he ranked him as the ducks 3rd best defensive prospect behind Justin Shultz and Sami Vatenen.

I was pretty bumed to see Gardner go because I was looking forward to him being a duck, but I like the look of the ducks D with Beauchemin right now so I am pretty happy with the trade.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
the kid will have a promising future, and from looking at the list of college dmen that stayed 3 years in college then going pro, the future does look bright.

Look at Ryan Mcdonagh, Steven Kampfer (all 4 years), Jeff Petry, Jamie McBain, Justin Braun, and Kevin Shattenkirk, all of these kids stayed patient (minimum three years) in college, and now all are looking to be high end players as rookies. Pretty amazing crop if you ask me. Throw in Mark Fayne (all 4 years) and Ian Cole, and the list gets even more impressive from players who stuck it out in the NCAA on the defensive side.

It seems like staying to your junior is the "in" thing for top end college dmen, so I would assume Gardiner turns pro and makes it to the NHL fairly quickly like the kids listed above have done.

Brendan Smith will be on that list soon as well. Holland said he should be playing NHL this season but the wings dont work like that, instead Smith is an AHL all star in his rookie year.

Wisonsin knows how to develop players, Gardiner will be a solid player because of that, even if the leafs dont develop prospects very well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad