Jake Gardiner vs Tyson Barrie

Tyson Barrie vs Jake Gardiner

• Total voters

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Gardiner was better defensively by a significant margin. Barrie is a much more talented PP quarter-back and produces more points. I'd take Gardiner in transition. Both are relatively comparable in overall impact I would guess, but I would rather have Gardiner's ability to drive play, cut off zone exits, and break the puck out with possession like a maniac.

Reactions: mulefarm

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Gardiner was better defensively by a significant margin. Barrie is a much more talented PP quarter-back and produces more points. I'd take Gardiner in transition. Both are relatively comparable in overall impact I would guess, but I would rather have Gardiner's ability to drive play, cut off zone exits, and break the puck out with possession like a maniac.

In what world are they comparable in overall impact? We have Rielly as a PP QB. Barrie provides no value there.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I don't understand what you are arguing. Kadri is one year older and had a noticeable decline this year. He's at the age where players typically start to decline. How would you be comparing apples to apples if you compare stats across different seasons?
noticable decline? he had a higher ppg this season than last season

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
This season.

Kadri: 2.33
Kerfoot: 1.8

Kerfoot is providing more than 75% of Kadri's production at 75% of the price. Pretty good deal if you ask me. That doesn't even factor in the fact that Naz is shooting hot this year and Kerfoot is about average.

That's not the correct way to look at player valuation. There is a surplus premium for elite performance.

For an easy example - by your rationale, an 80 point forward getting paid $8 mil offers you no better value than a 40 point forward making $4mil.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
He's not very good at hockey and he plays exactly how you would expect a rich kid who graduated from Harvard to play.

He's normally a 0.5/pg player
This year he is 0.43.
Still over 82g, he would finish 7pts lower than his next season.
He has declined, though not demonstratively...and I could always blame Babcock ;)

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
That's not the correct way to look at player valuation. There is a surplus premium for elite performance.

For an easy example - by your rationale, an 80 point forward getting paid $8 mil offers you no better value than a 40 point forward making $4mil.

No I agree, but how is Kadri putting up elite numbers? He's putting up 2nd/3rd line numbers, pretty much in line with what Kerfoot is doing.

Reactions: Menzinger

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
We could put Sandin or Muzzin in that slot and would yield similar, if not better results to Barrie. Remember how many useless point shots Barrie took?
I do remember the Leafs PP going from 19th to 2nd in the league when Barrie moved to the top unit. I also see that he's #6 among defensemen over the last 3 seasons in powerplay points. But sure, he's useless and can be easily replaced if not improved upon

Reactions: kb

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
No I agree, but how is Kadri putting up elite numbers? He's putting up 2nd/3rd line numbers, pretty much in line with what Kerfoot is doing.

Kadri isn't setting the world on fire. He is an up and down guy in his career. He is on pace for the 2nd best season
he has ever had. He's also played the least games ever in his career.

Reactions: kb

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I do remember the Leafs PP going from 19th to 2nd in the league when Barrie moved to the top unit. I also see that he's #6 among defensemen over the last 3 seasons in powerplay points. But sure, he's useless and can be easily replaced if not improved upon

How much of that has to do with Barrie, how much does it have to do with Nylander being moved up to the top unit, and the top unit being played more?

PP QB has virtually no value with Rielly on the team. Gardiner's even strength defense is much, much more sorely missed.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
How much of that has to do with Barrie, how much does it have to do with Nylander being moved up to the top unit, and the top unit being played more?

PP QB has virtually no value with Rielly on the team. Gardiner's even strength defense is much, much more sorely missed.

How much does it have to do with Keefe?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad