Jake Gardiner vs Tyson Barrie

Tyson Barrie vs Jake Gardiner

• Total voters

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Might as well compare right side defender Barrie to center Kadri as left side defender Gardiner. Gardiner's better as a defender in a vacuum but he really doesn't play Barrie's position except in an emergency. It's probably time to start designating defensemen as RD and LD like wingers so these invalid comparisons aren't considered seriously.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Hard to determine, considering how short of a time we had a full roster. Barrie was not brought in to be our 1st pairing defenseman.
You arent getting a first pairing defender and a young 3rd line center for Kadri. Also, i think it was a bad coaching decision by Babs to not have him on the 1st pp. He shouldve tried to get his offense going early, and help him with his confidence early while being on a new team for the first time in his career.

Keefe was able to get his offense going, but by this time the roster was depleted with injuries and goaltending was generally average.

I think Barrie is better than he has shown... babcock poorly managed him, just as he seemed to poorly manage Spezza. Problem with babs is he wants players to build around his coaching philosophy and wont build his coaching around his players. For this reason he and Dubas were a poor match.

The only concern i have with the Barrie acquisition is the one year term. It is disappointing losing Kadri who was cost friendly and signed long term and generally always healthy for a rental player. BUT if we made the finals...im sure my view would be different. Or if Kapanen and Johnsson had great seasons maybe i wouldnt miss Kadri as much. Who knows... hindsight is 20/20 for sure.

Muzzin was the ideal situation... get him for a year and a half and also signed long term afterwards. Its a great trade for a player we likely wouldnt have gotten if he ever reached free agency.

Reactions: Eric bungay
Sep 18, 2009
Might as well compare right side defender Barrie to center Kadri as left side defender Gardiner. Gardiner's better as a defender in a vacuum but he really doesn't play Barrie's position except in an emergency. It's probably time to start designating defensemen as RD and LD like wingers so these invalid comparisons aren't considered seriously.

No clue what you are talking about
Kadri is better than Barrie and Gardiner combined

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
How soon some forget, how well Jake played while Rielly learned the game. Or how often he controlled the pace of the game with superior skating/puck handling.
Barrie at best is a north south player with some offensive upside. He can't kill penalties. Doesn't know when to switch. Every partner he's had here bails him out 3 or 4 times a game. and he still
finds ways to make 2 or 3 blunders that cost us goals against. How can some on here not see that.
Jake is the better player by far.

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Another north south D man we had, was Phaneuf. At least he was physical and killed penalities. And he was good enough to wear the C.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
JVR just absolutely roasted Gardiner

JVR Throws Jake Gardiner Under The Bus!

JVR was asked to describe the hockey term "pizza".
"I'm trying to think who I could throw under the bus, who was a good Dominoes worker.
Actually I'll throw Jake Gardiner under the bus, he had a stint at dominoes he liked to deliver pizzas up the middle and pass it to other guys and give them a scoring chance.
So we'll say Jake has a future in delivering pizzas when he's done playing."

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
based on how they played on the Leafs
Jake
Barrie was the most disappointing trade in the big3 era
while Jake was terrible in game 7s Barrie was just bad all the f***ing time with no upside at all

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Barrie was a #1D (not a conventional one, but one nonetheless) on a Colorado team that won a round (nearly 2) in the playoffs last year. Gardiner has done no such comparable thing.

No need to be silly.

The op clearly states "who is/was the better D-Man for us ?"

What barrie did for Colorado is irrelevant.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
gardiner cost us playoff games, and barrie didn't. answer is easily barrie.

it's funny to see gardiner struggle after many anti-dubas leaf fans and opposing team fans say the leafs would be worse without gardiner.
Is there a list somewhere of the ‘anti-Dubas fans’ and what their beliefs are? Curious how extensive the list is.
Thanks

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Barrie has had a better career than Gardiner but Gardiner was better during his time in TO. Gardiner was for the most part a serviceable defenseman with an excellent offensive game, though when he did have a bad game it was often when he was needed the most. Barrie for most of the season he spent in TO has been piss poor defensively and his offensive game was no better than that brought by Jake. Don't think we will ever see how Barrie would disappoint for us in the playoffs because of COVID. Going to have to go with Gardiner over Barrie as the question was who was better for the Leafs.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I remember liking the Barrie/Kerfoot trade when it happened.( shouldn’t say liked rather believed it could be fair deal) Now I can’t stand Barrie or kerfoot. Barrie is a offensive defenseman only. Kerfoot is useless, he’s weak and exposed now.

Kadri is better than both of them put together and cost a mill and a half less if you can believe it. He’s probably better than them two and the draft pick. This will be viewed as the worst trade but it fooled me too when it first happened.

Gards is better for my money but not if we didn’t trade Kadri. I would let him walk in to ufagency anyway. I would rather neither actually and still have Kadri :)

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I remember liking the Barrie/Kerfoot trade when it happened.( shouldn’t say liked rather believed it could be fair deal) Now I can’t stand Barrie or kerfoot. Barrie is a offensive defenseman only. Kerfoot is useless, he’s weak and exposed now.

Kadri is better than both of them put together and cost a mill and a half less if you can believe it. He’s probably better than them two and the draft pick. This will be viewed as the worst trade but it fooled me too when it first happened.

Gards is better for my money but not if we didn’t trade Kadri. I would let him walk in to ufagency anyway. I would rather neither actually and still have Kadri :)
Kerfoot had a stint when he was playing great and looked like a steal. He was pesky and was getting under opponents skin. Then broke that bone in his face and he kind of fell off a bit.

Reactions: kb

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
A lot of people only think about the last two Bruins series, but they forget how unreal he was against Washington (best D by a mile), or as a sophomore 22 year old against Boston the first time. He had many moments where he played huge minutes for the team throughout the years, and actually did them pretty well.

Barrie has been just a disappointment and has to be used a very specific way to find any sort of success.

I take the 26-27 year old version of Gardiner over any iteration of Barrie.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
gardiner cost us playoff games, and barrie didn't. answer is easily barrie.

it's funny to see gardiner struggle after many anti-dubas leaf fans and opposing team fans say the leafs would be worse without gardiner.
Why would anti-Dubas fans not like Gardiner? That makes zero sense...

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
There are 2 sides to Barrie's time here.
At this point, he is 20pts behind his usual totals, I say Babcock totally
neutered him, and Keefe had him play more his game.

Jake will be just where he is always in terms of production.

Babcock, truly wrecked the plan with had for Barrie, and we'll never know
what he could do. Defensively, I didn't notice Barrie's mistakes as I did
Jake's, but neither is a preferable option.

Good luck in your future endeavours, Tyson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->