TSN: Jake Gardiner or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Advanced Stats

champs*

can you put up the zone stats from the last game against the ducks? not really interested in the neutral zone starts though.This will give me an idea of the numbers?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Thought he had a great game tonight aside from being on for the 1st goal against.

He looks extremely steady under Babcock.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Thought he had a great game tonight aside from being on for the 1st goal against.

He looks extremely steady under Babcock.

Yes I think his contract is looking like a bargain with his play this year.

Love that he's starting to find the offense to his game too. He's making some great passes lately that are leading to goals.

A good #3 is what I figured his potential to be and he's starting to put that on display

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
One of his best games. Man each and every game he looks more comfortable on the puck under pressure. I remember a couple years ago under carlyle he would stand there like a deer in headlights half the time. That's what proper positioning by your forwards and some instilled confidence can do.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
8 points in his last 8 games after putting up only 6 in 28 games.

Starting to find his offensive zone play and picking up some points and goals which is good to see. Really need him to start producing as a #1 PP guy if we have any shot.

We won't get good value for him in a trade any time soon, he's very underrated because he hasn't put up a lot of points in the past and was really shaky physically.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Starting to find his offensive zone play and picking up some points and goals which is good to see. Really need him to start producing as a #1 PP guy if we have any shot.

We won't get good value for him in a trade any time soon, he's very underrated because he hasn't put up a lot of points in the past and was really shaky physically.

Gonna be hard for Gardiner to put up #1PP production when Phaneuf is the only dman on the 1st unit.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Gardiner's play has been excellent. Not too worried about pp production.

Just wait till we remove Dion and guys like PAP or even Komo from the pp and insert Nylander, Marner and Zaitzev next year :naughty:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

Why are we supposed to be trading him? He's a good young defenseman signed to a good contract?

A 32 point pace and his possession driving ability is very good for a 4M defenseman.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

Why would we want to trade him?

He's the perfect future #3 for us. He can carry his own pairing well (he did it last year too).

Rielly (#2 LHD)- #1 RHD
Gardiner (#3 LHD) - #4 RHD

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
'15-16 stats:

Gardiner 5v5 Corsi %: 53.8%
Gardiner with Phaneuf: 54.1%
Gardiner w/o Phaneuf: 53.1%
Phaneuf w/o Gardiner: 44.7%

Pretty incredible, really.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Gotta admit I was starting to doubt gardiner would return to how he looked in 2012, but looks like he's gaining his form back. Earlier in the season, he was making a lot of mistakes but he's settled down now and looks really calm. Just letting his skating shine and not forcing the play, he has been great of late.

91Kadri91*

Can someone explain this graph to me, I have no idea what I'm looking at.

The y-axis is CF (Corsi For) per 60 minutes, and the x-axis is CA (Corsi Against) per 60 minutes. Each opponent is plotted [based on their CF%, which is equal to CF/(CF+CA)]. The trend lines show that as the opponent improves, Gardiner begins to outperform Hunwick (roughly 41 CF% for Gardiner, and 36 CF% for Hunwick when playing the most difficult opposition).

Scion

May 25, 2012
Much appreciated, I was having an impossible time trying to determine what the y-axis and x-axis were measuring.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The y-axis is CF (Corsi For) per 60 minutes, and the x-axis is CA (Corsi Against) per 60 minutes. Each opponent is plotted [based on their CF%, which is equal to CF/(CF+CA)]. The trend lines show that as the opponent improves, Gardiner begins to outperform Hunwick (roughly 41 CF% for Gardiner, and 36 CF% for Hunwick when playing the most difficult opposition).

For a couple of very weak linear fits.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
'15-16 stats:

Gardiner 5v5 Corsi %: 53.8%
Gardiner with Phaneuf: 54.1%
Gardiner w/o Phaneuf: 53.1%
Phaneuf w/o Gardiner: 44.7%

Pretty incredible, really.

This right here. Gardiner has been our best D. Rielly WILL be the better D in the future, maybe even next year, but Gardiner is currently quite a fair bit better.

He's literally 1 level below Stralman in terms of underrated impact IMO. He can carry his own pairing and will probably do so for the Leafs on the future 2nd pairing. The reason people see his giveaways as a big thing is only because he has the puck so much that he's bound to give it away at some point. Players like Polak simply bank the puck off the glass and out and thus we don't see their 'giveaways' and critisize them as though they don't know how to play defensively. That's why players like Doughty/Subban/Karlsson/OEL/Hedman have as high as the amount they do in terms of giveaways.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If this is the actual player thread about Jake Gardiner, can the TSN prefix be removed ? The TSN prefix is for threads about articles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad