TSN: Jake Gardiner or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Advanced Stats

LeafsGeeks

Jan 22, 2016
Gardiner seems to be breaking the puck out even more effectively lately, so this would lead us to believe his possession numbers could actually improve (which I didn't think was possible). I think the bigger improvement is going to be his offensive contributions. He seems to be more actively engaged in the offense, so I could see his point production (Primary Points per 60) improving in the coming seasons. But man...he's one hell of a player, never gets the credit he deserves.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
no denying he's very talented but he hasn't made the transfer from young potential to reliable stud.

He's got the skills but the bad decisions always knock him back from being a reliable defenseman.

He has stepped up since Dion left but need a bigger sample size before overly praising him.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Guy has been unreal since the Phaneuf trade. Love seeing him dance around the opposition with ease and he is starting to put up some points. Easily the team's best defenceman this year by a wide margin. In the long run, I see him being better both offensively and defensively compared to Rielly. He is a better skater albeit both are top notch, but he is much more fluid. Glad the Leafs held on to him, he is probably the most valuable player on the current roster.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
He usually has a regular crew of haters who come in and bash him year in and year out :laugh: Last year, I don't know how many times I read "zomg he's overpaid at 4M give him away if possible!!"

Good to see how foolish those people are looking this year. Gardiner is hands down our best D-man this year.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Can we say he has benefited from Phanuefs departure yet?

Considering he finally started playing some of his best hockey with #3, I'd say no. Having a steady partner and good communication for breakouts has been key to his development.

We've seen Gardiner go on these streaks where he has all sorts of confidence in the offensive zone. When he's on, he's fun to watch. That being said, I'm more impressed with his work in the dzone. That's one part of his game that must remain consistent.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Phaneuf was weighing him down considerably.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that if Gardiner turned Phaneuf into a piece that we could move without retention, then he deserved the team MVP this year.

Well, Jake...you da real MVP.

mikebel111*

Gardiner is looking real good but I kind of knew he was good. Just needed time and now is showing it.

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
The Gardiner, tending to his game in the hopes of becoming a solid #2, playing much more freely knowing that he won't have to make up ground for someone with cinderblocks as skates when he skates backwards. Love it and can only hope it continues.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Looking at his WOWY's, it was easy to see he was carrying Phaneuf. Gards is such an awesome d-man. Love that we have him at such a great cap hit,

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I just love the way he causes some separation and gives himself time for a good outlet pass. It boggles my mind that so many of his detractors seem completely incapable of seeing the difference between him and most NHL D-men in this regard, or how unable they are to look beyond "being tough along the boards" to evaluate defensive play as a whole.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I just love the way he causes some separation and gives himself time for a good outlet pass. It boggles my mind that so many of his detractors seem completely incapable of seeing the difference between him and most NHL D-men in this regard, or how unable they are to look beyond "being tough along the boards" to evaluate defensive play as a whole.

They only grade him on the 50/50 battles. They don't grade him on the ones that he wins before the opposition even has a chance.

Evaluating that way produces a massive oversight.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Guy has been unreal since the Phaneuf trade. Love seeing him dance around the opposition with ease and he is starting to put up some points. Easily the team's best defenceman this year by a wide margin. In the long run, I see him being better both offensively and defensively compared to Rielly. He is a better skater albeit both are top notch, but he is much more fluid. Glad the Leafs held on to him, he is probably the most valuable player on the current roster.

Lol, totally agree, but this kind of thinking will not make you many friends on this board!

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Like I just said in another thread, he doesn't kill penalties. Not to say he's not a good defenceman, but one cannot say he's a good all-around defenceman. He's always had the ability to 'play with fire' offence. If the Leaf forwards can have the awareness that he'll jump into the play and be smart enough to compensate, they can catch team's off guard. Not too sure how many times you can go to the well with that one. Problem is, teams learn those tricks and learn to counter-attack it really quick. They'll put their quick forward against him. Can Patrice Bergeron skate? He was on for the last three Boston points that knocked the Leafs out of the playoffs. Gardiner was a -2 that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad