Injury Report: Jake Gardiner - Now Week-to-Week

member 300185

Ok. Sorry the guy got hurt. But lets all face it. Most here are just being polite when they are secretly cheering. His blunders are far to costly. When anyone else messes up, its usually just a minor issue and is recoverable. When Gards messes up, it costs us games.

I am very excited to see what our youngsters can do. Look at how good Dermott is. Sandin is almost an exact replica of Dermott. Bring him up for awhile or even Lilly for that matter.

member 300185

I think this will turn out good for us. We will know inside 5 games.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Poster said Dubas did a great job at the TDL but he did nothing to address the D. Yeah it is all good until today if Gards is out or if another of their Dmen goes down and misses playoff games. Dubas did not acquire any insurance for the D at the TDL and he may now be paying for it. Make sense ?
Yep.
Thanks

Reactions: ToneDog

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
why wouldn’t they divulge that info at the presser?

it isnt exactly season ending news.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Great opportunity to see if Rosen can play meaningful minutes.

Thankfully Dubas didn’t go out and trade any assets for quick fix in this stage of the rebuild before using what they already have.
Rosen is injured, also I think Dubas would just force Babcocks hands and make him play Holl if it came to it.

He hasn't been good in his two games but remember how bad a guy like Nylander looked when he didn't play for 7 months. Holl is a much worse player in the same situation, we shouldn't expect him to play well after sitting so long.

Actually now would be a great time for Holl to accept a conditioning assignment. The Marlies have a tonne of injuries and he could play a few games to get ready in case we have a few more injuries on the back end.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
why do you think the Leafs outplay and outscore the opposition while Gardiner is on the ice? Or do you not think those are good things?

But....but...massive giveaways.....but but....game 7.....but....but....Colorado goal!

Gardiner is a great defensemen. Yes he makes mistakes, and yes is mistakes are big sometimes. But he's still a great defenseman.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't understand the logic of people who think that a player that has run a second pairing to great success is a third pairing guy on a true contender, while the juggernaut of the season has Girardi on its top pairing. You don't have to have Nashville's d-core to be a contender.

Ok. Sorry the guy got hurt. But lets all face it. Most here are just being polite when they are secretly cheering. His blunders are far to costly. When anyone else messes up, its usually just a minor issue and is recoverable. When Gards messes up, it costs us games.

I am very excited to see what our youngsters can do. Look at how good Dermott is. Sandin is almost an exact replica of Dermott. Bring him up for awhile or even Lilly for that matter.
I have faith that most people have more sense than that. If his blunders were that costly, he'd be on for a ton of goals against. He's not.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
According to Siegel, Gardiner had 55% possession since he returned from missing his two games, and 58% of the scoring chance percentage. Both are 1st amongst the team... Playing injured...

This is a huge loss and you can complain about brain farts all you want but the reason his are so glaring are because he gets very little support from his partners. and our breakout is structured extremely poorly around him when he's on the ice.

Reactions: The90

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Jake Gardiner is actually a human being and not a video game character some people on here are down right callous and malicious it's scary and should be ashamed of themselves.

My take on those people are that they are idiots. I couldn't believe real Leafs fans, one from this board admitted, booed our 2nd best D in what was on track to be our best season.

He is our second best D easily. The hate for Jake in this thread is also disgusting. I just hope we dont have any badgering his wife and stuff. From the comments, i'm concerned tbh. Like taking names from here in active investigation and seeing whats up kinda stuff.

Get well soon Jake

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Love or hate Gardiner, you'd have to be crazy to think you're better off without him in the lineup.

I can't wait to punt Jake Gardiner from TOR.

30912.238078.jpg

;)

Ok ok. I don't hate him, but Muzzin was traded for because we have two D-men with expiring contracts.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
... Sandin?

Feel bad for Gards, he's had a tough year.

With that comes the opportunity for the club to see how the blue line looks without him though now. Silver lining.
I'd guess Liljegren would be in over the younger Sandin. Would add another RHD too.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The article states:

So does it not take into account a players ability to play PK? It also sounds like they use per60 stats, which is also flawed. Just because you play more minutes in a game doesn't mean it'll translate to more offensive output.

I'd also be interested in finding out how different systems and strategies influence this stat. For instance, you can have a player that plays an important role on a line with verly little offensive production. It doesn't necessarily mean that they don't play a critical role to help the line scores, he's just not touching the puck before it goes in the net. Tavares on the PP is an example. He has less PP production that Rielly, Marner, Matthews... but that doesn't mean he's less important.

Also, things like penalty drawing / taking mean different things for different teams. There is a pretty large variance in effectiveness of special teams across the NHL.

The game is a lot more complicated than the six categories that the stat is based off of.
I ask again what is flawed about a stat that shows that the team is better with him on the ice?

Absolutely nothing is the clear answer. His partner who he plays with is hot garbage using the same stat which supports everything I see.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
You must toss around “elite” loosely and have a very low standard of what elite means. Gardiner slots in perfectly as a 3rd pair guy on a contending team with limited minutes. Too many minutes too many mistakes. Similar to Phaneuf

Let some other team handicap themselves with his contract.
Can you post any numbers showing that Gardiner is no better than a third pairing defenceman ala Polak?
People have posted tons of numbers showing Gardiner to be, dare I say it, elite. But not one of you naysayers have been able to say anything’s more than ohhh he gave the puck away.
Anyways why should we let the facts intrude on an idiotic narrative.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
All these people happy that Gardiner is out are going to really eat their words.

That's 2nd PP unit is gonna really struggle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad