Injury Report: Jake Gardiner - Now Week-to-Week

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Put Nylander on the 4th line where he belongs.
I think if Nylander gets going our chances improve vs Boston.

I think Babcock is trying to play the players we have.

It feels desperate.

Willy needs to be Hockey traded. But as we found during his holdout ... nobody wants him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wondering which Jake we get.

1. The Jake that knows Leafs do not plan to sign him and protects himself from further injury or
2. The Jake that has to prove his back and game are sound so that he lands the big contract July 1st

I say 3.
The Jake that knows his established track record means he'll get a huge contract in July even if he sits our the rest of the season, but has so much pride that he's willing to risk tens of millions of dollars because he so badly wants a chance to excel in the playoffs, and make Leafs fans forget all about his dismal performance in game 7 last year.

I've always liked Jake but if he really does play in the playoffs, my respect for him will be off the charts!

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
If Jake sits out against Boston and walks I won't even be mad at him , but he knows he needs to prove everyone wrong this time
That would be insane. I know the board is down on this team but this year could be one of the better chances he has at a cup.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Wondering which Jake we get.

1. The Jake that knows Leafs do not plan to sign him and protects himself from further injury or
2. The Jake that has to prove his back and game are sound so that he lands the big contract July 1st

I don't think #1 is entirely accurate I think Dubas absolutely wants t sign him I just don't think he can but I believe he wants to find a way

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I say 3.
The Jake that knows his established track record means he'll get a huge contract in July even if he sits our the rest of the season, but has so much pride that he's willing to risk tens of millions of dollars because he so badly wants a chance to excel in the playoffs, and make Leafs fans forget all about his dismal performance in game 7 last year.

I've always liked Jake but if he really does play in the playoffs, my respect for him will be off the charts!
To be fair
If he just sits and heals.... I'd say he leaves 2-3Mil, 3+ additional years, and a handful of interested teams on the table.

I'm not saying he has to come in and shine... but how many teams will line up for him if he doesn't show he has recovered/recovery potential.

I say he looks at it as a good opportunity to lock himself in long term somewhere .... considering his previous contract was friendly

Reactions: FlareKnight

The90

Feb 27, 2017
To be fair
If he just sits and heals.... I'd say he leaves 2-3Mil, 3+ additional years, and a handful of interested teams on the table.

I'm not saying he has to come in and shine... but how many teams will line up for him if he doesn't show he has recovered/recovery potential.

I say he looks at it as a good opportunity to lock himself in long term somewhere .... considering his previous contract was friendly
He’s in tonight ladies. Saddle up. Glad he gets a couple games to get back into it.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
To be fair

That's an absolutely insane calculation. If he sits and heals, it will cost him next to nothing on his next contract. $500k per year on the high end, and highly unlikely to effect the term. He'll be in the $6m by 5 or 6 year range for sure. Likely higher and/or longer.

He's coming back because he wants to win with this team. He's a Leaf.

Welcome back, Jake!

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I say 3.

This is absolutely it. In his interview today, it's clear his back will be an ongoing issue. If all he cared about was money, he'd sit.

He cares about the team, and he cares about winning, and that's why he's back.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
That's an absolutely insane calculation. If he sits and heals, it will cost him next to nothing on his next contract. $500k per year on the high end, and highly unlikely to effect the term. He'll be in the $6m by 5 or 6 year range for sure. Likely higher and/or longer.

He's coming back because he wants to win with this team. He's a Leaf.

Welcome back, Jake!
I think you misinterpreted what I was saying (outside the numbers)

I was responding to the idea of him sitting out so he doesn't ruin his value.

I wasn't saying he is only thinking about upping his value.. I'm confident he is back because of the team.

Though I do think had he sat out, he'd have quite a few skeptical teams and probably a few prove it contracts offered. But who knows.

Glad he's back.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think you misinterpreted what I was saying (outside the numbers)

I was responding to the idea of him sitting out so he doesn't ruin his value.

I wasn't saying he is only thinking about upping his value.. I'm confident he is back because of the team.

Though I do think had he sat out, he'd have quite a few skeptical teams and probably a few prove it contracts offered. But who knows.

Glad he's back.

Oh ya, I didn't think you were saying he's only concerned about increasing his value. I was only replying to the quants in your post. I don't think sitting out will have a significant effect.

And in saying that, I wanted to big-up my man Jake, because he is taking a risk of a more serious injuring lowering his contract value, in order to help us slay the damn Bruins!

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't think #1 is entirely accurate I think Dubas absolutely wants t sign him I just don't think he can but I believe he wants to find a way

Sure Leafs would like to sign him but probably cannot not. Either way is he going to risk getting hurt for a team that you most likely dooes not sign with ??

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
To be fair

He'd be risking much more than he has to lose, not even close. If he sites he'll miss out on a few million, no way does it cost him 3+ additional years though. He's a lock to get 5-6 years from someone as it is assuming he passes the medical considering his track record and how few games he's missed over the years.

Gsh

Oct 14, 2018
I love you Jake Gardiner. I never knew how much I needed you. I am so happy you are giving me a second chance.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm just going to say his decision to come back should be considered a win/win. It helps the team to have every guy in the lineup and healthy that they can get. All the more so on the blueline. Hopefully these two games can be as useful as possible in getting Gardiner ready for the playoffs. Ideally you'd like more games, but there aren't more left. It's a tough test for him to jump back into the games against, but hopefully everything goes smoothly.

But I also think it's a win for Gardiner. Not going to throw around numbers since there's no way to know for certain. But it couldn't do anything positive for his free agency payday to have his season end on a back injury. All the more so since that next deal will mostly take place in his 30s. There is a risk to be sure if he gets hurt again. But if the gamble pays off he can erase some concerns and avoid losing more money off his next deal than he would have liked. And he gets a playoff run in. That's also a pretty big win.

Sep 18, 2009
I would like to see this gentleman as a forward
Gardiner - Matthews - Nylander is what I would roll
Too bad we have a octogenarian as a coach

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I would like to see this gentleman as a forward
Gardiner - Matthews - Nylander is what I would roll
Too bad we have a octogenarian as a coach
Did you know that he was a forward? Which is likely why he doesn't possess Dman instincts...wonderful skater though,lacking in the decision making category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad