Waived: Jake Dotchin

BennetAintInit

Sep 7, 2018
Fl.
Funny talking about body fat percentages when the clink was- he flipping made many grave mistakes during his trial. Look at Kessel if you wanna talk about fat affecting play. Dude dominates. I had hopes for Dotchin like many of us but damn it, he just blew it too many times.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
That looks like a shot at the team. From pretty much the last guy I want to see taking a shot at the team.
I don't read it that way at all. Dotchin had some undisclosed issue last camp and Sustr's Anaheim teammates are probably asking him for gossip.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I dont read it that way. I assume there's a lot of Twitter chatter on the subject that's probably pretty mean spirited.

On one hand, yeah, but on the other hand, he's responding to people cracking jokes about it, while we went ahead and fired him over it. Or are at least trying to.

Unless we terminated a contract over a health-related weight gain. In which case, the PA is not going to look too kindly on us.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
How much would it suck if Dotchin had like an uncommon, undiagnosed, medical condition causing him to gain weight and people are speculating all this stuff about him personally?

Reactions: Fixxer

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

I'm more incredulous than judgemental. There's no question at this point that he showed up to camp extremely out of condition. If there is an underlying reason behind it then there's no reason he couldn't have contacted the team during the off-season and worked through it with them rather than just seemingly showing up like that and expecting to get a pass. I hope that he gets help for whatever underlying issue there might be. But he has to step up and take responsibility too.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How much would it suck if Dotchin had like an uncommon, undiagnosed, medical condition causing him to gain weight and people are speculating all this stuff about him personally?

He could have hypothyroidism which will cause weight gain if not treated. The meds for it might be banned by the league as they are typically hormone based so that could be the issue.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That looks like a shot at the team. From pretty much the last guy I want to see taking a shot at the team.

Didn't see it that way at all. There's a friggin 15 page thread on this on the mainboard, have you been on mainstream social media? He's clearly defending a former teammate from a lot of idiotic speculation (like previously in this thread.)

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
C'mon. Actors do this all the time, gain and pain. Let him play his way to fitness! His soul might feel terrific! If this means he's more of a stay-at-home defenseman now so be it. If Hedman LOST 13 kilograms I would be more worried. Only worry is he does this during a cup season.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
C'mon. Actors do this all the time, gain and pain. Let him play his way to fitness! His soul might feel terrific! If this means he's more of a stay-at-home defenseman now so be it. If Hedman LOST 13 kilograms I would be more worried. Only worry is he does this during a cup season.
Yeah, umm, Dotchin is an athlete, not an actor.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He could have hypothyroidism which will cause weight gain if not treated. The meds for it might be banned by the league as they are typically hormone based so that could be the issue.
That was a thought when I considered it could be health based. As far as I can tell, thyroid treatments haven't been banned by anyone yet. WADA doesn't consider them PEDs at the moment, even though some people have speculated they could be.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Didn't see it that way at all. There's a friggin 15 page thread on this on the mainboard, have you been on mainstream social media? He's clearly defending a former teammate from a lot of idiotic speculation (like previously in this thread.)

He's also claiming the weight gain is health-related, which kind of calls into question our attempt to terminate the contract.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Breezy better step up his game. Under SFY there were no leaks. :sarcasm:

I wouldn't doubt the team purposely leaked this. The fact that it got to Bob McKenzie, who, great as he is, never gets anything on us, could mean we wanted it out. I mean, we're gonna come under a bit of fire for this, and the team's side of the story is it was "extreme."

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He's also claiming the weight gain is health-related, which kind of calls into question our attempt to terminate the contract.
Even it is health related, depression or other non injury condition, you shouldn't put on that kind of weight in 3 months. If it is depression and he was in a psych facility for those 3 months I still don't see how he would gain 30, there's no way they are feeding you that much and you aren't somewhat active. To put on that weight in that time he had to be pretty sedentary while over eating and depression or not there's no excuse for that.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Agree with you, this looks to me like a shot to the team as well as to those making jokes of him in social media.
There is no excuse for Dotchin wether it is health-related or not, anybody notices such a change in the body. If it is something health-related you call the team and treat it. What he did was not professional, and it is not the first time he does it.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Wait does Sustr know something that we dont? I mean I understand why we shouldnt jump to conclusions but I doubt TB would drop a player because of health issues. That would be a different story I think.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
jake-dotchin-of-the-tampa-bay-lightning-poses-for-his-official-for-picture-id1041544908

That's crazy, this guy looked like he aged 7-8 years in the past 2, fitness and weight is the most obvious but I wouldn't be shocked to hear something about his health.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Wait does Sustr know something that we dont? I mean I understand why we shouldnt jump to conclusions but I doubt TB would drop a player because of health issues. That would be a different story I think.
He could be just speculating like the rest of us. Or Sustr could now something that the management and fans don't. If I was suffering with a mental illness such as depression, I'd probably tell my friends before I'd tell my boss. If Dotchin has a depression, maybe he thinks it would hurt his career to tell the team management about it.

For Dotchin's sake, it'd probably be better if it indeed was a health issue. A guy who just got lazy and gained 30 pounds in one summer wouldn't attract me as a GM, while health issues could be sorted out.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't get why the organization would look bad for terminating him even if it comes out that Dotchin was suffering from depression? Depression isn't an excuse to not take care of yourself in the off-season. When Stamkos was injured and was healing he didn't let himself go and gain weight. Zetterberg who supposedly has this degenerative back that prohibits him from training didn't gain 30 pounds over the summer. One of the ways to help control depression is through healthy eating and excersise so he clearly wasn't trying to get himself better if depression is the issue. He could've easily pulled a Ranger and told the organization he wanted to step away for awhile to get himself right but doesn't sound like he did that. For his sake I hope he figures out what's wrong with himself and gets back on track but it's no loss to us and I hope the PA doesn't make a stink of it.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad