Waived: Jake Dotchin

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Wow. This kid has some demons or something.

Yeah - material breach means he violated his contract in a significant way. Don't want to speculate - could be physical (super duper out of shape?), could be personal.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think you're right Macho. My mind immediately went there. No one is immune from the disease of addiction. I think it could adequately explain why his play fell off so dramatically as well as why he was suspended by the team last year. You would know better of the language of a "material breach" but I have to wonder if failing to comply with rehab and relapsing would qualify.

Whatever it is I just hope Dotchin's actually okay. Something has to go really wrong if he's getting outright waived like this.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Again? What is this guy doing over the summer?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kids with money like to party sometimes, even if it puts their future in jeopardy.

I guess now we know why he was suspended last year.

Also, score a point for Brisebois on the Faith-O-Meter. Following Yzerman's lead, cutting ties with red flag players.

I wish Dotchin the best. Maybe the difference in 2016 and 2017 can be chalked up to conditioning, in which case he can be a quality NHL player somewhere else once he matures.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Dotchin had a lot of potential in his first season and it's unfortunate that that potential seems to have been wasted. If he's quietly dealing with personal issues(like mental illness and/or addiction) then I wish him the best and hope his career can recover. If he's just lazy then honestly he can f*** off. Don't really have any sympathy for someone being paid major money and not even bothering to do the basic minimum.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
It would be a sad story if he just got lazy or complacent after working his way up here as a former 6th round pick.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he's that out of shape, Cernak and Masin were passing him by anyway.

So I guess this opens up the #8 spot for one of them, which is actually pretty good news, so long as we're getting them into games.

HooksandBolts

Sep 14, 2018
If he's that out of shape, Cernak and Masin were passing him by anyway.

So I guess this opens up the #8 spot for one of them, which is actually pretty good news, so long as we're getting them into games.
I would't count out Koekkoek

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Wonder if Foote finds his way into some games this year. If he plays well in Syracuse I wouldnt mind it. I think Cernak could get a good look if he has a good camp.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I think we only hold 7 defensemen on the roster now. We really only had 8 last year due to the waivers situation and to make room for Sergachev.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
I think we only hold 7 defensemen on the roster now. We really only had 8 last year due to the waivers situation and to make room for Sergachev.

Agreed. Go with seven, to start at least. Call ups if injuries require it. Let Cernak get big minutes in Syracuse.
Maybe trade at deadline for playoff depth. If not, might be good to make a mid/late season call up to get the young guys some big league experience before the 3 veteran D contracts expire.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
There's not a lot of free agent RHD right now if the plan is to sign a replacement.

Ryan Sproul & Frankie Corrado are available.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

We really don’t need a replacement this season as Dotchin was unlikely to see the ice anyway and in the event of a RD injury we can either shift Coburn over to the right or bring up Cernak for a cup of coffee. We’ll probably want somebody for 2019 as our RD depth at that point will consist of Serg, Cernak, and Foote, but we can worry about that next summer.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Agreed. Go with seven, to start at least. Call ups if injuries require it. Let Cernak get big minutes in Syracuse.
Maybe trade at deadline for playoff depth. If not, might be good to make a mid/late season call up to get the young guys some big league experience before the 3 veteran D contracts expire.

That’s how I see it. Assuming he has a decent camp we need to give Koekkoek some playing time early in the season so we can make a decision one way or another regarding his future. As the year progresses we’ll want to get Cernak and possibly Foote some experience as well to prepare them for next season; this could come as an injury replacement or, if Koekkoek is finally given a real chance and comes up short, as the seventh defenseman following Slater being traded. I could even see a scenario if we don’t trade Koekkoek where we bring up Cernak as the eighth defenseman at some point and switch off the bottom pairing between Koekkoek-Girardi and Coburn-Cernak, which would both give Koekkoek and Cernak playing time and help keep their aging veteran partners fresh for the playoff run.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Wish the best to Jake. Have to recommend Cerank over Foote, who needs more time in Syracuse to develop while he learns the AHL/NHL style. Sucks for Syracuse, but as we learned with Witkowski, this is the bad part of being a farm team.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Midnight finally struck. He far exceeded his expectations from when he was drafted and actually made it to the show. Made himself some decent coin by doing so but the effort that got him there seemed to go away once he got there and he didn't have the talent to make up for it. This is two years in a row with an issue to start camp so clearly he doesn't take it as serious as he should. He's not going to be missed on the big club and it will get a prospect up sooner so not a big loss. Not sure hellh make it anywhere else so not worried about this coming back to bite us.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad