Waived: Jake Dotchin

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Imagine getting paid 800,000 a year and not turning up to work in shape. Considering what happened at camp last summer he hasn't really got a leg to stand on.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Way to blow it. He was getting carried by Hedman into a sweet gig and just pissed it all away.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Whatever his issue is, I hope he fixes it. Because he could be a decent D5-D6, but now he's camp meat, nothing better.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Makes me sad. Was my favorite defenseman before Cernak was brought on board. I can't really comment without knowing the details, just sad

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Makes me sad. Was my favorite defenseman before Cernak was brought on board. I can't really comment without knowing the details, just sad

Looks like Cernak will take that spot though now, right?

Or maybe we go back to 14-7. Even so, does Koekkoek even have an edge over Cernak now? Seems like Cernak's style is more in line with what Coop would want in a #7.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Looks like Cernak will take that spot though now, right?

Or maybe we go back to 14-7. Even so, does Koekkoek even have an edge over Cernak now? Seems like Cernak's style is more in line with what Coop would want in a #7.

Why waste Cernak as a #7? Cernak will be 4th on the depth chart for RD, just keep him in Syracuse with Koekkoek the 7 and bring him up if an injury happens.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Sergeev showing up out of shape does make it easy for the Blues. They were at 48/50 contracts without any ELC slides for this year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think you're right Macho. My mind immediately went there. No one is immune from the disease of addiction. I think it could adequately explain why his play fell off so dramatically as well as why he was suspended by the team last year. You would know better of the language of a "material breach" but I have to wonder if failing to comply with rehab and relapsing would qualify.

Is there any evidence or published report about alleged addiction or a rehab stint? What was he suspended for last year?

Thanks in advance.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Is there any evidence or published report about alleged addiction or a rehab stint? What was he suspended for last year?

Thanks in advance.
Tampa doesn't give you any information about anything. We don't now what this is about nor why he missed the regular season last time.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Tampa doesn't give you any information about anything. We don't now what this is about nor why he missed the regular season last time.
Not just Tampa. The league substance abuse policy requires complete privacy, as it should. On that note, based on that same policy, it's very unlikely that this is substance abuse related.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not just Tampa. The league substance abuse policy requires complete privacy, as it should. On that note, based on that same policy, it's very unlikely that this is substance abuse related.

True. I think the PA stepped in to keep us from terminating Ryan Malone's contract.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
True. I think the PA stepped in to keep us from terminating Ryan Malone's contract.
It is possible to terminate a contract through the substance abuse policy but there's a ton of behind the scenes shit that happens first and it really doesn't seem like that's what's going on here. It's not impossible but if any player does make it through every tier of the program without making the necessary changes in their life then they have a lot more to be concerned about than just their career. Which isn't to say that someone with a substance abuse problem couldn't get in trouble for coming to camp massively out of shape but the punishment would be for the conditioning aspect, not the underlying substance abuse issue as long as they're properly participating in the program.

That's my understanding of the policy at least. It's all kept very quiet for obvious reasons but there's a few parts that are public knowledge. Kassian's situation a few years ago brought some of the particulars to light.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd expect PED's before substance abuse. Would explain how he went from nearly being sent to the ECHL one season to playing along side Hedman the next. Might explain how he hasn't been in shape the past two training camps because the NHL testing is a bit stricter. He was a bit of a larger kid coming out of junior, more Byfuglein than Ekblad body type. Possibly didn't put the proper effort in and cut some corners which got him that one year peak.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
AR-309149662.jpg

This pic is from the Tampa Bay Times article about Training Camp's physical testing day. Shows that Dotchin was at least at the testing.

Some team is going to want him since he's a young RHD that has NHL experience, even if just as a reclamation project.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That's a ****ty assumption to make.
As opposed to what? We live on a relationship of total blackout with the Lightning. Dude was straight ban hammered all preseason last year without warning and nearly everyone thought he must've messed up bad somehow. He barely played and didn't play well. When more and more athletes over the years come forward about their demons, a player like Dotchin does not seem immune.

Of course it's a shitty assumption and I hate to say it but I'm not sorry. I've treated patients/addicts with enough Subutex, Librium, Clonidine, Hydroxizine, Methocarbomal and God knows how many banana bags to fill a pharmacy while they were in detox programs. They talk to you about how they destroyed their lives, lost family and how they never thought this would or could happen to them.

Believe me. No one is happier than I am that I was wrong. For any player finding your way down that path just seems all too easy to me

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00