Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
Like I said, I have very little tolerance for players (and people in general) who get every opportunity to succeed but squander it and then play the blame game instead of being accountable.

Very rarely am I overly critical of the team and players but every now and then I can't hold it back.

The last time I was this critical was about Ryan Spooner and we all saw how that turned out.
For those who think a player stating that they had or still have a mental health issue due to the pandemic is playing the blame game is wrong.
On the first day of this recent NHL Draft, I attending a video conference with about 70 people which included a number of folks who work in the NHL and around the hockey world including the Penguins President Brian Burke.
The mental health issue in the Hockey World was discussed throughout the 3 hr Conference and what was said is that the NHL does take it seriously and have programs in place or in the process of implementing them for staff and players.
Also the rest of the hockey world from kids to adults are following suit or already have programs in place.
So calling it a blame game is wrong in so many ways, as far as I am concerned if a player comes out on this issue they are being accountable and are seeking the helping to overcome it.
I am not an athlete but a 60 yr old man who is struggling with depression and anxiety all my adult life, the pandemic certainly did not help at all. I lost a few family and friends to it, so this is real for me and others who have experienced the same thing.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
What did he do to that poor woman?
That was me :laugh: I blacked her out to keep her privacy on here cause I know how people are. I wanted to highlight how good he looked. But I couldn't crop it without her in it. So that was the result. It's on his instagram. It's his grandmother.

In retrospect I should at least put a smiley face over her.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
For those who think a player stating that they had or still have a mental health issue due to the pandemic is playing the blame game is wrong.
On the first day of this recent NHL Draft, I attending a video conference with about 70 people which included a number of folks who work in the NHL and around the hockey world including the Penguins President Brian Burke.
The mental health issue in the Hockey World was discussed throughout the 3 hr Conference and what was said is that the NHL does take it seriously and have programs in place or in the process of implementing them for staff and players.
Also the rest of the hockey world from kids to adults are following suit or already have programs in place.
So calling it a blame game is wrong in so many ways, as far as I am concerned if a player comes out on this issue they are being accountable and are seeking the helping to overcome it.
I am not an athlete but a 60 yr old man who is struggling with depression and anxiety all my adult life, the pandemic certainly did not help at all. I lost a few family and friends to it, so this is real for me and others who have experienced the same thing.
He's never actually come out and said he's been depressed or had anxiety he just tiptoed around things after being asked why he played poorly or why Bruce benched him again.

If he's struggling then the team needs to pull him from games and get him help before allowing him to play again.

Had he come out and stated he's having issues like Chris Wager did it would be a different story instead he blamed his poor season on the haters on the internet

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Trading for another defenseman doesn't make any sense unless it's Gryz moving out and the Kraken don't have a #2 LD.

I think you just gotta hope that Nashville sucks out and Ekholm doesn't want to re-sign.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
When you work in a multi-billion dollar business, and you are a multi-million dollar investment, there isn't much room for excuses. Mental illness or not, this is a results-based business, and DeBrusk isn't cutting it.

While it may sound harsh, he has guaranteed money; it doesn't matter if he plays in Boston, Providence, or another franchise. While it might be sad for him to leave Boston, that's what a seven-figure salary covers.

I think you can sympathise with what, if anything, DeBrusk is suffering from while at the same time acknowledge he hasn't performed well enough and the team should move on. Sometimes business relationships don't work out, and it isn't working out for both parties.

If they go their separate ways, the Bruins think they found someone better, and DeBrusk gets paid - nobody loses here. Nevertheless, if he is suffering from some issues, I hope he gets the help and support he needs, but the Bruins supporting his hockey career is over.

Reactions: Dr Hook and Bodit9

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
When you work in a multi-billion dollar business, and you are a multi-million dollar investment, there isn't much room for excuses. Mental illness or not, this is a results-based business, and DeBrusk isn't cutting it.

While it may sound harsh, he has guaranteed money; it doesn't matter if he plays in Boston, Providence, or another franchise. While it might be sad for him to leave Boston, that's what a seven-figure salary covers.

I think you can sympathise with what, if anything, DeBrusk is suffering from while at the same time acknowledge he hasn't performed well enough and the team should move on. Sometimes business relationships don't work out, and it isn't working out for both parties.

If they go their separate ways, the Bruins think they found someone better, and DeBrusk gets paid - nobody loses here. Nevertheless, if he is suffering from some issues, I hope he gets the help and support he needs, but the Bruins supporting his hockey career is over.
Agreed... and... let's not act like he hasn't had stretches like this before. This is not new to him.

* that is why it feels a little convenient to me IF he's throwing the season under the covid mental health flagship. Everybody at this point understands that mental health is real thing but JDB not sacrificing his body in the corner is for playing like he gives a s*** is ALSO a very real thing (that we have seen more and more of the last few years, pre-Covid).

Last edited:

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Another small puck moving D... not what they need.... I would be livid

Dunn isn't really that small. He's like Chuck's size. Either way they aren't trading for LHD unless its someone who would be a significant upgrade on Gryz. They just signed the other 2 to UFA contracts and we already know Gryz and Mac is an elite pairing. You can argue if that works in the playoffs or not, but they'd be crazy to downgrade that slot. Dunn isn't the guy. Neither is Soucy. It's probably no one tbh.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'm just throwing crap into the wind here, but does any team have a young C around the same age as Jake that could use a change of scenery?

I have a strong feeling Jake will bounce back from last years shit show either here or somewhere else.
Would Tyson Jost be of interest in a swap for DeBrusk?

Sakic currently has $5.5m in capspace to fill one more forward spot, but with no decent options in UFA a trade is a logical move for a top 6 forward. Having traded Timmins and a 1st for Kuemper there aren't really many ideal trade chips, but given Newhook's potential to fill the 3C spot it might make sense to move Jost in a trade for a top 6/middle 6 forward.

Fwiw Jost is an arbitration eligible RFA. His QO is ~$1m but if he elects for arbitration he probably has a case for ~$2m based on comparables.

Alternatively if you prefer JT Compher that would work too.

upload_2021-7-30_0-4-41.png

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Setting aside the for what, how about the when?

Does he see training camp? Does he see next Thursday as a Bruin?

what’s are the issues with the hold up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce