Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I'm the resident Jake DeBrusk stan. I agree with you lol. People hate me on here. Apparently he is my binky. I'm with you. I think the kid is going bounce back in a big way. I hope it's with us.

DeBrusks value seems so low right now. Combine that with the fact that we need one of our new wingers to now play center.
Keep Jake.
If he rebounds great, keep him or trade him while his value is higher. If he does not, rotate him with some kids in Providence.

The choice is mostly his at this point.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
I’ve always loved Jake and will always be by his side. He’s going to bounce back big time and I’m happy that Sweeney is most likely going to keep him around. You guys will all love him again by the end of next year.

#DontTradeJake

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
I think obviously this is a make or break season for Jake. He's had some time since the Kadri hit, he's had some time since he had covid, he should be fully rested...from here on out there should be no excuses.

If he doesn't perform this year then he's cooked IMO

Reactions: duffy

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I’ve always loved Jake and will always be by his side. He’s going to bounce back big time and I’m happy that Sweeney is most likely going to keep him around. You guys will all love him again by the end of next year.

#DontTradeJake

time will tell. For me it’s the lack of puck battle, the drive bys when a potential loose puck is up for grabs. I did think he played defensively/conservatively toward the end of the year and as such was not a defensive liability but this team now needs him to pot 18- 20 and wreak a little havoc.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
If we can use him in a deal to get an impact player, I likely do it in a vacuum not knowing who that player is, but assuming they fill the LD/2C void on this team.

But if not, then giving up on him and taking the highest bid would be a foolish move. I can absolutely see him bouncing back, and then he can either produce for us or we can flip him at the deadline.

Reactions: inactive user

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
I think obviously this is a make or break season for Jake. He's had some time since the Kadri hit, he's had some time since he had covid, he should be fully rested...from here on out there should be no excuses.

If he doesn't perform this year then he's cooked IMO

There's always going to be excuses. The question is will they be valid. For whatever reason the guy didn't take the season serious and took zero accountability for his short comings. Is what it is but it does say a lot about the player too.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think the contract is a big issue with trading him. His qualifying offer next year is $4.41M. Considering the flat cap, is that a qualifying offer you make even if he puts up a 20/20 season? I'd think he'd need to put up a 50 point pace like he did in his first two seasons in order to qualify him at that number.

Other teams are going to feel the same way. Think about how Ritchie didn't get qualified because of concerns about what he'd get in arbitration and how clearly no one wanted to trade for him at that number. It's the same situation with DeBrusk. I think anyone acquiring him is looking at him as a rent, don't buy, option, and that impacts the trade compensation.

Their best bet is hoping that he plays well enough to be worth his qualifying offer because I think you're getting pennies on the dollar if you trade him.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
At this point I would assume they’ve had a tough time getting anything decent in return for him.

Cement him on the third line left wing and let him earn his next contract. No more RW bs. I’m rooting for the kid but man has he dug himself a hole.

It’d be one thing if he played like a Craig Smith when he was in his slump -110 percent effort. Getting to the puck and body. Points will come. And they did for him.

We saw that kind of play once every like 10 games from Jake this past season

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
This is going to end badly, for JDB, for Sweeney, for the Bruins.

There is no roster spot for him, currently. He maybe slots in on the 3rd line, potentially on his off-wing, if Studnicka bombs again and Coyle ends up centering the second line. Otherwise, Stud and Coyle fill holes on the second and third lines in some fashion and JDB is out in the cold.

In the press box or on his off-wing, if he's not getting regular playing time, at his natural position, he's going to get sneaky pissed. We're going to start hearing some snarky comments; it'll turn into a shitshow.

I have a feeling Sweenius will hang on to him. We're all going to question how and where he fits. The above will take place.

I personally think he's a whiny bitch. However, I would take his 20+ goals if he could get himself on track. I just don't see it happening. He needs to go out as a minor/cap relief piece of a trade for something bigger at center or D.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
At this point, I think you have give him a chance to find his scoring touch again. I think it's just psychological with him. He has the tools.

But if he shows signs of life, starts popping in some goals in first 10 games or so, then what? I'd say if the new adds are looking good, and if Haula is looking like he's gonna give you 15-20 goals while also bringing a more feisty game, then you trade Jake. There will be a team that will see him as a bounce-back in the making, and a prime candidate for a change-of-scenery trade, and the Bruins will get better value for him than they would right now.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Cassidy just needs to staple Jake's skates to the ice within 2 feet of the crease, as that's where he scores nearly all of his goals. No more floating on the perimeter and no more trying to score from a distance with his mediocre shot. Instead, more tipped shots, wide open rebounds, and guiding in pucks that would be going in the net even if he didn't touch them. Problem solved.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Cassidy just needs to staple Jake's skates to the ice within 2 feet of the crease, as that's where he scores nearly all of his goals. No more floating on the perimeter and no more trying to score from a distance with his mediocre shot. Instead, more tipped shots, wide open rebounds, and guiding in pucks that would be going in the net even if he didn't touch them. Problem solved.

Even when he tipped shots in, that wasn't enough with people. Lots on here called them fake goals. So... he can't win either way.

I do expect him to bounce back this year hard. No doubt in my mind. Hopefully it's here. But even if it's not, he's going to rebound.

Reactions: inactive user

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think the contract is a big issue with trading him. His qualifying offer next year is $4.41M. Considering the flat cap, is that a qualifying offer you make even if he puts up a 20/20 season? I'd think he'd need to put up a 50 point pace like he did in his first two seasons in order to qualify him at that number.

Other teams are going to feel the same way. Think about how Ritchie didn't get qualified because of concerns about what he'd get in arbitration and how clearly no one wanted to trade for him at that number. It's the same situation with DeBrusk. I think anyone acquiring him is looking at him as a rent, don't buy, option, and that impacts the trade compensation.

Their best bet is hoping that he plays well enough to be worth his qualifying offer because I think you're getting pennies on the dollar if you trade him.
I’d say it’s exactly it.

Why a deal with him in it to Arizona is tricky if you are Arizona

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
When a player returns from benchings and plays with disinterest,there is a serious problem.
I watched his games from being benched this year. He played hard. Then he caught covid. Missed games. Then came back. Looked sluggish. Got the Vax, looked sluggish.

But you know what? We don't beat Washington without his goals and effort in that series. Period.

This year has been tough. He admitted the mental health aspect, I don't gotta go into that. Let's see what a full healthy non covid season he can do. I have no doubt he's going to do good things. If he's here? I'll be happy. If he's not? I'll be happy. Cause I know the kid ain't a "bust".

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Even when he tipped shots in, that wasn't enough with people. Lots on here called them fake goals. So... he can't win either way.

I do expect him to bounce back this year hard. No doubt in my mind. Hopefully it's here. But even if it's not, he's going to rebound.
It's maybe the only thing he does that makes him useful, so I'm sure people were just frustrated by his play last year. Ritchie basically did the same thing last year (albeit on the PP), and I was one of his biggest supporters early on. I knew he was limited with his scoring touch and that he wasn't a core player, but I didn't care how he scored goals given how desperate we were for scoring early on.

With Jake, he's also a limited offensive player and he's not a core player you build around. However, if he can continue to pretty much only score by being spitting distance from the net then I'm all for it. As long as he is somewhat consistent and isn't floating on the perimeter, I'll be content.

If people want to continue to blame him for being limited offensively, then place that blame at the feet of the coaching staff and management. He is what he is, and they should be working to maximize what he does that is useful.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I watched his games from being benched this year. He played hard. Then he caught covid. Missed games. Then came back. Looked sluggish. Got the Vax, looked sluggish.

But you know what? We don't beat Washington without his goals and effort in that series. Period.

This year has been tough. He admitted the mental health aspect, I don't gotta go into that. Let's see what a full healthy non covid season he can do. I have no doubt he's going to do good things. If he's here? I'll be happy. If he's not? I'll be happy. Cause I know the kid ain't a "bust".
I watched DeBrusk JFK & Vaakanainen in Providence quite a bit

I was impressed by them all

after being severely concussed none played like the did before

JFK was a shell - very sad

DeBrusk went from a swashbuckling type of player who was first to puck along boards and no fear of high danger areas to what we see now

Vaakanainen took awhile to get back but he didn’t look the same either

I saw the JFK & DeBrusk live and Vaakanainen on TV and all 3 were done by 3 bottom of the barrel humans

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
This is going to end badly, for JDB, for Sweeney, for the Bruins.

There is no roster spot for him, currently. He maybe slots in on the 3rd line, potentially on his off-wing, if Studnicka bombs again and Coyle ends up centering the second line. Otherwise, Stud and Coyle fill holes on the second and third lines in some fashion and JDB is out in the cold.

In the press box or on his off-wing, if he's not getting regular playing time, at his natural position, he's going to get sneaky pissed. We're going to start hearing some snarky comments; it'll turn into a shitshow.

I have a feeling Sweenius will hang on to him. We're all going to question how and where he fits. The above will take place.

I personally think he's a whiny bitch. However, I would take his 20+ goals if he could get himself on track. I just don't see it happening. He needs to go out as a minor/cap relief piece of a trade for something bigger at center or D.
At this point it isn't even about return just dump the contract and get some money to spend on a D or better center than Coyle.

Reactions: lopey and Deal Law

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Well,I disagree with your opinion of his effort,to me he might have had one or 2 good shifts,but his game was the same,ineffective,dispassionate hockey and always on his ass. The kid is a giant disappointment,and the team would not miss him,time for another prospect.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Well,I disagree with your opinion of his effort,to me he might have had one or 2 good shifts,but his game was the same,ineffective,dispassionate hockey and always on his ass. The kid is a giant disappointment,and the team would not miss him,time for another prospect.

We don't beat Washington without him. And I very much disagree with you saying the kid is a "giant" disappointment. Like he's a Zach Hamill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad