Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk IV: The debate rages forth

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
1 shot, 0 hits. Played a bit of PK. I dunno, I guess he also didn't do anything bad. But not exactly shot out of a cannon today. I guess he did hit that post too.

Hit a post as well - a few posts this season. I saw him hit a player as well, that stat can be misleading.

I can only hope he stays off social media because fans here are practically giving him the Wideman treatment at this point. Waiting for anything they can blame Debrusk for.... never seeing the flashes. It's been one bad, Covid season.

He very well may be a 3rd line scorer rather than a player who, with Krejci, can drag Kuhlman around the ice. Unfortunate but it is what it is.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
He’s done in Boston and he knows it.
I think Sweeney wants him here as he’s one of his guys, but practically I don’t see the fit here long-term if Hall signs a 5-6 year deal and if he can’t play the right side. As of right now he’s not a top 6 forward. I expect Hall to stay and Smith to be protected, and you don’t bend over backwards to keep bottom 6 forwards. We learned that lesson the hard way from Chiarelli.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Assuming they bring back Hall and Krecji. I think they choose between Ritchie and DeBrusk. Assuming Ritchie is gonna make too much next year to put him on the 4th line and Jake really can’t play RW. I think it depends on how much Ritchie’s next contract is going to be. Not to mention who they lose in the expansion draft. I assume the decision will be made then.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Jake had a good chance or two yesterday (one off the crossbar), but I didn’t think he looked good. A lot of people in the GDT were saying he was bringing it but I didn’t see it.

He looks totally demoralized and I feel bad for him. Not here to assign blame to him or others for how things have gone. I just feel like the kid is down and out.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Jake had a good chance or two yesterday (one off the crossbar), but I didn’t think he looked good. A lot of people in the GDT were saying he was bringing it but I didn’t see it.

He looks totally demoralized and I feel bad for him. Not here to assign blame to him or others for how things have gone. I just feel like the kid is down and out.
only saw the first and at least he was moving his feet but I was disappointed to see the stats where he posted precisely 0 shots

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site

That’s been Jakes biggest problem since coming into the league. If they shot goes in he plays differently the rest of the game. He’s not alone is playing better if he’s getting points but his swings are bigger than any other player i can remember.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Assuming they bring back Hall and Krecji. I think they choose between Ritchie and DeBrusk. Assuming Ritchie is gonna make too much next year to put him on the 4th line and Jake really can’t play RW. I think it depends on how much Ritchie’s next contract is going to be. Not to mention who they lose in the expansion draft. I assume the decision will be made then.
I see them protecting DeBrusk and Frederic over Ritchie. Part of the reason is Ritchie's next contract and them not wanting to overpay for him.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I see them protecting DeBrusk and Frederic over Ritchie. Part of the reason is Ritchie's next contract and them not wanting to overpay for him.
an argument could be made that JDB is being heavily overpaid now:naughty:

I have little issues with Ritchie but I am not sure the B`s can`t find someone on the market. I look at a guy like Schwartz on the Blues, having a down year which might allow for a bit more negotiation leverage but a guy who can put the puck in the net, has loads of playoff experience posting some very good numbers

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I think Sweeney wants him here as he’s one of his guys, but practically I don’t see the fit here long-term if Hall signs a 5-6 year deal and if he can’t play the right side. As of right now he’s not a top 6 forward. I expect Hall to stay and Smith to be protected, and you don’t bend over backwards to keep bottom 6 forwards. We learned that lesson the hard way from Chiarelli.

I don't see the Bruins signing a 29 year old Taylor Hall, now on his fourth club, to a five or six year deal. Two or three, perhaps. Let's see how he does in the playoffs. That's the barometer.

I sincerely hope DeBrusk is done in Boston, because, contrary to another poster's assertion, he doesn't "get it." He's a ghost.

Reactions: Bodit9 and TCB

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I don't see the Bruins signing a 29 year old Taylor Hall, now on his fourth club, to a five or six year deal. Two or three, perhaps. Let's see how he does in the playoffs. That's the barometer.

I sincerely hope DeBrusk is done in Boston, because, contrary to another poster's assertion, he doesn't "get it." He's a ghost.

Well there's no universe where Hall should sign a 2 or 3 year deal imho. It's 4+ minimum and his agent would be nuts to let anything else happen.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Well there's no universe where Hall should sign a 2 or 3 year deal imho. It's 4+ minimum and his agent would be nuts to let anything else happen.

He’s on a 1 year deal currently...

But I do agree with you if he is a sizable contributor in the playoffs. Despite hesitations based on character, he’s been a pretty consistent point producer since coming into this league and it’s hard to see all 31 teams not willing to take some risk in term if he puts up big playoff numbers on a hopefully deep run.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

The same agent, presumably, who struck a one year, 8 million "show me" deal with Buffalo? The same Sabres who couldn't snag a first round draft choice for Hall? The same Sabres who ate half salary of his salary in moving Taylor for Andres Bjork?

Again, we'll see what Hall does in the playoffs. I wish him well. I am not signing him to a four year deal regardless.

Reactions: chizzler

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Bruce Cassidy's Message To Jake DeBrusk As Winger Returns To Lineup

I’ll admit I’m amazed this is where we are at after his first two years

Definitely falls under ‘sports sad’ category for me

I’m not even sure a Michael Ryder like 2011 playoffs will lead to a continuation as a Bruins
The format of that web page gave my eyes an instant case of glaucoma

I agree though, I never saw such a precipitous drop off coming. Or a guy who wears it as openly.

A fresh start might go a long way. Seems like a nice kid. Wish him the best no matter what happens

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Bruce Cassidy's Message To Jake DeBrusk As Winger Returns To Lineup

I’ll admit I’m amazed this is where we are at after his first two years

Definitely falls under ‘sports sad’ category for me

I’m not even sure a Michael Ryder like 2011 playoffs will lead to a continuation as a Bruins
This kind of pisses me off, assuming Cassidy is being straight.

If the Bruins were asking me to skate faster, there may be limited things I can do. Certainly in the short term -- without going to a skating coach in the summer, say.
If the Bruins were asking me to see the ice better and anticipate where the play is going to go, I may struggle more. Maybe my hockey mind struggles more with that.
If the Bruins were asking me to shoot more? Well, that should be manageable -- although we've seen players with mental blocks. Certainly workable though.

BUT SECOND EFFORT??????

There is not a single person on the planet that cannot put in more second effort in whatever it is they do. That's so god damn easy to do. That interview suggests that they don't see it consistently and that's their main issue. Again, if Cassidy is being straight then that pisses me off. If the Bruins are telling Jake they need more second effort -- well give them more second effort for God's sake, Jake. Jesus.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Say Jake is moved in the offseason, who do you target? I’m assuming a RW if Hall is back.

Maybe rights to Garland? Rakell?

Ekholm. I think DeBrusk and some picks/prospects would be enough and unless Krejci/Bergeron fall off the cliff it'd buy one more chance to contend for this core.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I think writing JDB off in this covid season is a bad call.

Sure, he hasn't played great but who knows how this has affected him.

I've been working from home for a year now and it's been tough mentally, can't imagine what it's like playing sports.

And yes, I get it hasn't affected everyone on the team but everyone's different. Can't chalk his first three years up as "lucky" and totally fall off a cliff when the world went to shit. Give the kid a break eh.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think writing JDB off in this covid season is a bad call.

Sure, he hasn't played great but who knows how this has affected him.

I've been working from home for a year now and it's been tough mentally, can't imagine what it's like playing sports.

And yes, I get it hasn't affected everyone on the team but everyone's different. Can't chalk his first three years up as "lucky" and totally fall off a cliff when the world went to shit. Give the kid a break eh.
while I try not to be super overreactive, I also see a player (young for sure) who this season, was put in spots to succeed and he was miserable from day 1. He was given PP time, loads of TOI, in my opinion, he was given far too much leash. What I think might happen is the B`s give him opportunity to prove himself again next year simply because his year has been so miserable this year, his value has to have been severely hurt by it

Kid has played over 200 games, it`s not like he`s played a handful, this habit of disappearing for long stretches isn`t new

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad