Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk IV: The debate rages forth

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
while I try not to be super overreactive, I also see a player (young for sure) who this season, was put in spots to succeed and he was miserable from day 1. He was given PP time, loads of TOI, in my opinion, he was given far too much leash. What I think might happen is the B`s give him opportunity to prove himself again next year simply because his year has been so miserable this year, his value has to have been severely hurt by it

Kid has played over 200 games, it`s not like he`s played a handful, this habit of disappearing for long stretches isn`t new
All of this. No more excuses. Jake's time is up with the Bruins.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
while I try not to be super overreactive, I also see a player (young for sure) who this season, was put in spots to succeed and he was miserable from day 1. He was given PP time, loads of TOI, in my opinion, he was given far too much leash. What I think might happen is the B`s give him opportunity to prove himself again next year simply because his year has been so miserable this year, his value has to have been severely hurt by it

Kid has played over 200 games, it`s not like he`s played a handful, this habit of disappearing for long stretches isn`t new
Yup. Getting to the point where maybe they just tell him to shut it down and get right for next year. Whatever is off is waaay off. . .

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto

I dunno man, imagine being a young guy, not sure he has a GF or not. Can't see his family. Can't do much on road trips. Seems pretty isolated. I know it's back to "fairly" normal now in the US but still.

It doesn't seem to be the most fun. Maybe he's depressed and in a funk? Who knows. Like I said, this years been hard on a lot of people so to think pro sports players can just brush it off and go out and play to their best is asking a lot. Might not even be the situation but to write off a guy who's played great every year aside from this silly covid year is a little much IMO.

Lots of guys have played like junk this year. Some have got out of that funk (Wagner/Kuraly) Coyle's played brutal all year.

It's not like he's hurting the team and if he and that third line get going, watch the frig out!

Reactions: inactive user

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I totally agree with so much of what has been said above about COVID, difficulties for people in terms of isolation and not being able to see family and it sounds as if this has been particularly hard for Jake; especially with the extended time in protocol.

If people were to judge me on my job performance during the past 14 months, I know I have not been as effective as I was before COVID (Teaching...Zoom and hybrid learning have both required a learning curve) and I would love to see him put it together again and regain the form he had in the season and a half before the pandemic hit.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Hall is meshing well with Krejci and Smith

In his last post game interview, the coach wanted a big bodied third line, hence Kuraly moving up to center Ritchie and Coyle.

Bruce says each line has to have an identity. Two skilled lines that can score followed by a grinding, large line, and a 4th line that can bring speed and energy.

Judging by how the lineup is set, Jake needs to play with pace and tenacity, which use to be hallmarks of his game. Another first round pick, Curtis Lazar, centers that line and while he may not score like a 1st round pick, he works hard and makes himself useful. I think DeBrusk can help that 4th line produce some points with his level of talent, but if he's not working hard and bringing his skating game, he sits.

Im not a huge Kulhman guy, but he gets coach praise because he always keeps his motor running hot. Hopefully, he and Lazar rub off on DeBrusk and he finds his skating game again. He shows it in flashes, but consistency is lacking.

It's also way too soon to give up on him. A Hall injury and/or Ritchie spending 6 nights a week at Five Guys again will leave an opening for someone to step up.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I totally agree with so much of what has been said above about COVID, difficulties for people in terms of isolation and not being able to see family and it sounds as if this has been particularly hard for Jake; especially with the extended time in protocol.

If people were to judge me on my job performance during the past 14 months, I know I have not been as effective as I was before COVID (Teaching...Zoom and hybrid learning have both required a learning curve) and I would love to see him put it together again and regain the form he had in the season and a half before the pandemic hit.

Ok, but this young man gets 3.6m a year to skate hard for maybe 60 minutes a week. 1 hour a week to absolutely lose yourself in effort. He can practice at 75%, I don't care. But 60 mins a week? Let's not make too many excuses.

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
Maybe I’m on an island here but if Jake tops out as a high tier 3rd liner with 45 pts. I’d consider it a win. Drafting that kinda dude instead of trying to find him year after year via free agency/trade is ok with me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Hall is meshing well with Krejci and Smith

In his last post game interview, the coach wanted a big bodied third line, hence Kuraly moving up to center Ritchie and Coyle.

Bruce says each line has to have an identity. Two skilled lines that can score followed by a grinding, large line, and a 4th line that can bring speed and energy.

Judging by how the lineup is set, Jake needs to play with pace and tenacity, which use to be hallmarks of his game. Another first round pick, Curtis Lazar, centers that line and while he may not score like a 1st round pick, he works hard and makes himself useful. I think DeBrusk can help that 4th line produce some points with his level of talent, but if he's not working hard and bringing his skating game, he sits.

Im not a huge Kulhman guy, but he gets coach praise because he always keeps his motor running hot. Hopefully, he and Lazar rub off on DeBrusk and he finds his skating game again. He shows it in flashes, but consistency is lacking.

It's also way too soon to give up on him. A Hall injury and/or Ritchie spending 6 nights a week at Five Guys again will leave an opening for someone to step up.

Maybe Debrusk on LW with Frederic and Lazar. Two more well-rounded players that have some level of skill at least.

Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Ok, but this young man gets 3.6m a year to skate hard for maybe 60 minutes a week. 1 hour a week to absolutely lose yourself in effort. He can practice at 75%, I don't care. But 60 mins a week? Let's not make too many excuses.

On top of that, this has been going on with him pre-Covid. Sure. some will point to numbers, but his overall play and compete level has fallen off going back to last season. I am sure the Covid protocols are tough, but it is hard to put it down to that when this is a pre-existing condition.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010

Absolutely true but it seems like his drop off in play, while he was always a streaky player, really accelerated with the arrival of COVID last spring and especially his own bout with it this season.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
In trying to be fair to the player, I’ve stopped focusing on stats with him and am trying to gauge him just based on the eye test. After all, it’s the effort that I think most of us see as the problem.

With that being said, while he has certainly “looked worse” in the past than the most recent couple of games, I am still not seeing the fire one would come to expect out of a guy who hasn’t produced all season long and has been singled out by his coach multiple times for not bringing it. It would be one thing if he was getting shuffled around constantly, but the team basically penciled him in as a top 6 player and let him sit there for months even though he didn’t produce. It doesn’t help his case at all obviously that the center stapled to his side during all of these struggles looks completely reborn with him off the line.

The big swings in play have been a part of Jake’s game since he came into this league, but this isn’t a swing at this point. It’s a prolonged dwelling at the bottom. For both him and this team, it is a problem.

Last edited:

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I didn't love his first game back but he was better last night. Noticeable effort defensively on a number of shifts, some really good scoring chances. Still a few shifts where I felt he could have moved his feet a little more. It's a work in progress.

Still need to see the effort consistently game in and game out but there's some signs of life which is more than I could say a couple weeks ago. I like this spot for him with three productive lines ahead of him. It takes a lot of the pressure off to produce offensively so he can just focus on getting back to the basics and playing the right way.

Hopefully the gravity of his situation has finally dawned on him and he does what he needs to do to get his young career back on track. If they get an engaged DeBrusk for the playoffs their forward depth has to be among the best in the league.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
apparently it means he is playing well even though he really isn't if you watch the games and not just crunch the numbers. He was better last night, but we've seen that movie before.
we have indeed, I didn`t see the game so no comment on his last night though

Reactions: Dr Hook

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
apparently it means he is playing well even though he really isn't if you watch the games and not just crunch the numbers. He was better last night, but we've seen that movie before.
Let's see what he does tonight. He was better but he still had a few shifts that were less than ideal effort wise. Hoping that he builds on the positives from last night.

Like I said, I want him to be successful but I also need to see a consistent effort out of him every shift especially if he isn't producing,

member 96824

There is an old saying. The saying is "ignorence is bliss", which I believe is true when it comes to conjured up advanced stats like Expected Goals For.

It's literally just a measurement of creating scoring chances. For the crowd that says "he needs to be doing something if he's not scoring" that should be a very welcomed number. Shows that he is doing something when he's not scoring.

Your post is just saying "I don't understand it so it's stupid"

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2