Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk III: Signs 2 Years 3.675 AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
My guess is 3 years @ 3m per season offer from Bruins

And he wants similar to what Andre Burakovsky/Toffoli received 4M-4.5M per season

Reactions: Over the volcano

member 96824

Give me 6 years at $5M per

Cheap bridge leaves too much of a window open for Sweeney to sign Justin Abdelkader to a 4 year, $20M deal.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I think what's interesting was the rumor that his name was being floated around for a 1st rounder at the draft. Was it Sweeney really wanting to get into the 1st round, or are the Bruins ready to move on?

We know he can score. There is a willingness and a persistence in his game. He will back check, get in the right areas, take pucks to the net, and chase after pucks.

However he is also inconsistent, has tunnel vision or lack of creating opportunities for his linemates, and seems to have lost his physicality (board battles, checks, etc.). The latter two could be because of not playing with a consistent higher caliber winger during his time on Krejci's line and his concussion respectively. He hasn't looked the same since he was concussed by Kadri. He's also the square peg trying to fit in the round hole on Krejci's line. He is a north-south player whereas Krejci is more east-west. Add the fact that DeBrusk was leaned on to be the physical presence on that line and retrieve pucks along the boards, most of their chances and opportunities were one and done. That's why I think he fits really well with Coyle. Coyle's game thrives on puck possession and working along the boards and net. It allows DeBrusk to play his game and not be relied on to be the physical presence on his line.

If he stays a Bruin, there are still some question marks going into next season especially if the expectation is that he starts as the 2nd line LW. I wonder if what is turning off potential suitors for DeBrusk is his agent saying how much DeBrusk is looking for. If the Bruins are able to sign DeBrusk to a sub $4M AAV contract, is there potential there for a sign and trade or do the Bruins just keep him?

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think what's interesting was the rumor that his name was being floated around for a 1st rounder at the draft. Was it Sweeney really wanting to get into the 1st round, or are the Bruins ready to move on?

We know he can score. There is a willingness and a persistence in his game. He will back check, get in the right areas, take pucks to the net, and chase after pucks.

However he is also inconsistent, has tunnel vision or lack of creating opportunities for his linemates, and seems to have lost his physicality (board battles, checks, etc.). The latter two could be because of not playing with a consistent higher caliber winger during his time on Krejci's line and his concussion respectively. He hasn't looked the same since he was concussed by Kadri. He's also the square peg trying to fit in the round hole on Krejci's line. He is a north-south player whereas Krejci is more east-west. Add the fact that DeBrusk was leaned on to be the physical presence on that line and retrieve pucks along the boards, most of their chances and opportunities were one and done. That's why I think he fits really well with Coyle. Coyle's game thrives on puck possession and working along the boards and net. It allows DeBrusk to play his game and not be relied on to be the physical presence on his line.

If he stays a Bruin, there are still some question marks going into next season especially if the expectation is that he starts as the 2nd line LW. I wonder if what is turning off potential suitors for DeBrusk is his agent saying how much DeBrusk is looking for. If the Bruins are able to sign DeBrusk to a sub $4M AAV contract, is there potential there for a sign and trade or do the Bruins just keep him?
He and Krejci have never been a good match. But Krejci is our clear 2nd best center and Debrusk is our clear 2nd best LW (and best winger overall after Marchand/Pastrnak) so they just by default have had to play together. But yeah, Krejci is an east-west passing playmaker and Debrusk is a north-south goal mouth jammer with an okay shot. There's no shooter on that line and no one getting open.

Stylistically, I think Bjork-Krejci-Smith and Debrusk-Coyle-Kase would be better.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Personally, I hope they move him for a player with at least an ounce of snarl in his game. We have enough passengers as it is and that's what Jake is on way too many nights.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Personally, I hope they move him for a player with at least an ounce of snarl in his game. We have enough passengers as it is and that's what Jake is on way too many nights.
According to the leafs he’s a greasy SOB. Maybe we could pull another Raycroft for Rask deal and send him north for Nick Robertson

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Did you know.....

That during the 2019-20 season, David Krejci had the primary assist on just TWO Jake Debrusk goals?

One was a rebound/scramble off a Krejci shot.

Another was a short-pass in the neutral zone to a streaking Debrusk down the left-wing, he skates in and fires a bad angle wrister past the goalie.

That's it. Not a single time did Krejci feed Debrusk for a shot that resulted in a goal.

Players who did feed Debrusk for a immediate shot and goal included:

Coyle (twice), Heinen, Kuraly, Pasta, and Kuhlman.

Debrusk scored 3 break away goals off loose pucks, and 4 goals off deflected shots.

Debrusk is a finisher, no question. Can finish in multiple ways. But the chemistry with Krejci, a premium playmaker, just isn't there.

member 96824

Did you know.....

That during the 2019-20 season, David Krejci had the primary assist on just TWO Jake Debrusk goals?

One was a rebound/scramble off a Krejci shot.

Another was a short-pass in the neutral zone to a streaking Debrusk down the left-wing, he skates in and fires a bad angle wrister past the goalie.

That's it. Not a single time did Krejci feed Debrusk for a shot that resulted in a goal.

Players who did feed Debrusk for a immediate shot and goal included:

Coyle (twice), Heinen, Kuraly, Pasta, and Kuhlman.

Debrusk scored 3 break away goals off loose pucks, and 4 goals off deflected shots.

Debrusk is a finisher, no question. Can finish in multiple ways. But the chemistry with Krejci, a premium playmaker, just isn't there.

Very interesting.

Leads me to wonder if Krejci should be the one dealt in this whole half in/half out thing Sweeney has going on..though you and I have already had that debate around return :) and realistically I imagine it’s not and either/or but both suiting up next year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Very interesting.

Leads me to wonder if Krejci should be the one dealt in this whole half in/half out thing Sweeney has going on..though you and I have already had that debate around return :) and realistically I imagine it’s not and either/or but both suiting up next year.

I don't see the point of moving Krejci. The return will be minimal. Your more likely to get better value out of a Krejci deal at the deadline when most of his contract is paid out. Even then the return won't be significant.

The analysis of Debrusk's goals from last year did show some chemistry with Coyle (2 nice feeds for immediate goals + another short pass where Debrusk skater down the wing and sniped it top corner).

Assuming Debrusk isn't dealt, I'd attached Debrusk to Coyle's hip starting next season and end the failed Debrusk-Krejci experiment.

member 96824

Justin would be a great addition to our press box and at the price would join the greats like Belesky Hayes Backes..did I miss anyone?

cut.jpg

Reactions: maxl7 and Dr Hook

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I’d hope DeBrusk gets signed for a short term deal around 3m per.

He has his warts but he’s a valuable player. Similar to Marco Sturm, lacks consistency but has the ability to score in bunches at opportune times

Reactions: JCRO and BruinDust

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Very interesting.

Jesse Gabrielle should have been the one tried on Krejci's wing from the get go. :)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
wheeler would hurt, riley smith comparison not too worried he is a too soft.

"too soft" yet has more hits and PIM per year than DeBrusk.

the biggest myth going is that DeBrusk has snarl or plays physical. He doesnt. He floats and doesn't engage in board battles. His play style is very similar to Michael Ryder

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

the biggest myth going is that DeBrusk has snarl or plays physical. He doesnt. He floats and doesn't engage in board battles. His play style is very similar to Michael Ryder

Who says this? Genuinely asking because I have never heard that about him and anyone that has watched him play knows that isn't so.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

I think he skates harder than Ryder, when he wants it, but doesn't have half the shot that Ryder did.

But I guess they both turn to disinterested floaters when the points dry up. I still hold room for Michael Ryder though. Always will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad