Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk III: Signs 2 Years 3.675 AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I like DeBrusk but when it comes to toughness, he is not it. Which is fine. I do wish he was a little more gritty. He has the size and speed to be.

Jake has no problems crashing into boards. He does need to add a little bite into his game; he gets pushed around way too often.
When he's at his best, he's tenacious with his skating and puck pursuit. Like with a lot of middle 6 wingers, his consistency is streaky. I do think if there was a stable right wing on that line, we'd get more out of DeBrusk.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Jake DeBrusk is 29th in Goals/game since he broke into the league. Anyone saying he’s a 3rd liner has no clue what there talking about or has a massive case of grass is greener mentality.

Sorry but when a winger getting exclusively played with our leading playoff scorer (Krejci) ends up with ZERO assists in 13 games, you have to seriously question whether that player is a legit Top 6 winger or not.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Jake has no problems crashing into boards. He does need to add a little bite into his game; he gets pushed around way too often.
When he's at his best, he's tenacious with his skating and puck pursuit. Like with a lot of middle 6 wingers, his consistency is streaky. I do think if there was a stable right wing on that line, we'd get more out of DeBrusk.

Well said. DeBrusk showed signs of that but after the Kadri incident has not seemed to regain it.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
While missing 19 games in the last 2 regular seasons, he's scored:

9.5% of the Bruins goals
17% of the goals not scored by Pastrnak/Marchand/Bergeron
22% of the goals not scored by Pastrnak/Marchand/Bergeron + the D
29.3% of the goals not scored by Pastrnak/Marchand/Bergeron/Coyle/Krejci + the D

In the last 3 playoffs, he's scored:

9.4% of the Bruins goals
14.9% of the goals not scored by Pastrnak/Marchand/Bergeron
20% of the goals not scored by Pastrnak/Marchand/Bergeron + the D
25% of the goals not scored by Pastrnak/Marchand/Bergeron/Coyle/Krejci + the D

That's a lot of production to replace for secondary scoring that is bone dry. What's the alternative here?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

9.5% of the Bruins goals
29.3% of the goals not scored by Pastrnak/Marchand/Bergeron/Coyle/Krejci + the D

9.4% of the Bruins goals

That's a lot of production to replace for secondary scoring that is bone dry. What's the alternative here?

Admittedly, that is pretty solid production for a guy who only bothers to show up a fraction of the time. Imagine if you got a consistent effort level out of him.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

9.5% of the Bruins goals

9.4% of the Bruins goals

Great post.

I'm not opposed to trading the guy, but then you still have the same depth scoring issues. The Bruins are better off keeping him and either getting a better RW to play with him (could be Pasta or an FA) or you find a true 2nd line LW and bump him to line 3 where Coyle's style is a better fit and he has better matchups.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'd argue he's the 3rd best North/South player on the team after Pastrnak/Marchand. His speed is a ton to handle in transition, he's a menace hunting down loose pucks he shouldn't have a shot at getting, and he pairs it with excellent finish around the net. He struggles in most other aspects of the game, but there's still absolute value in what he brings to the table. You just have to find a fit where it works more consistently. I like what I've seen of him with Coyle.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Did Ty Anderson say DeBrusks agent thinks he’s a 6 mil guy in a interview?
Edwards said the same on WEEI.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
the guy has yet to play opposite a reliable winger. Kase showed flashes in the first round, but ultimately didn't look like a legit 2RW.

You don't trade a guy like Debrusk who has been pretty productive until you see him used in an actually favorable situation.

Now if you can find a better LW and then trade Debrusk for a comparable RW then you have my interest.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
the guy has yet to play opposite a reliable winger. Kase showed flashes in the first round, but ultimately didn't look like a legit 2RW.

You don't trade a guy like Debrusk who has been pretty productive until you see him used in an actually favorable situation.

Now if you can find a better LW and then trade Debrusk for a comparable RW then you have my interest.

It would be like trading Reilly Smith all over again.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Not a bad analogy.

very similar players. To start, Smith didn’t seem to display any leadership qualities here but he’s an assistant in Vegas. DeBrusk to me has leadership qualities. He’s a pick you up kind of guy. You can see the emotion from him on the ice whether he scored or a teammate scored. He loves this game. He has some big goals in his young career so far. He has experience.

They’re both good sized wingers 6’0”- 6’1” 190 lbs. They have shown they can both score and dish in this league but putting it together for DeBrusk has been the issue. Also both have good sticks and good defensive qualities. DeBrusk, his first few years especially, seemed to have an excellent defensive stick.

They both can score a number of different ways as well in this league and their speed is evident.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
the kevin labanc contract is a good flagpole marker for debrusk

lebanc is 24... a year older... in 284 games labanc has 149 points
debrusk is a year younger... in 203 games, already 120 points

debrusk scores more goals... is a bit more physical

4.75 mill x 4 years for labanc

its less than guys like this were getting before covid… but, it is still going to be a good payday for debrusk. im prediciting now a 2 year bridge deal at around 4.5.

should we trade him for picks/prospects and use his money to sign hall to a short term 2 year deal? we got the cap room so in my heart I think its possible it might happen.

but if we bring debrusk back... he is going to get a decent contract

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
the kevin labanc contract is a good flagpole marker for debrusk

lebanc is 24... a year older... in 284 games labanc has 149 points
debrusk is a year younger... in 203 games, already 120 points

debrusk scores more goals... is a bit more physical

4.75 mill x 4 years for labanc

its less than guys like this were getting before covid… but, it is still going to be a good payday for debrusk. im prediciting now a 2 year bridge deal at around 4.5.

should we trade him for picks/prospects and use his money to sign hall to a short term 2 year deal? we got the cap room so in my heart I think its possible it might happen.

but if we bring debrusk back... he is going to get a decent contract

Seems awful high on a bridge deal. Charlie McAvoy coming off a year when he was the top pair RD on a cup finalist team only got 4.9 on a bridge deal that went one year longer.

Meanwhile, Jake Debrusk is coming off a fairly streaky season where he didn't produce much in the RTP tournament (4 goals and ZERO assists in 13 games).

I'd say 3.0 to 3.5 on a two-year bridge is more likely. Maybe even less.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Seems awful high on a bridge deal. Charlie McAvoy coming off a year when he was the top pair RD on a cup finalist team only got 4.9 on a bridge deal that went one year longer.

Meanwhile, Jake Debrusk is coming off a fairly streaky season where he didn't produce much in the RTP tournament (4 goals and ZERO assists in 13 games).

I'd say 3.0 to 3.5 on a two-year bridge is more likely. Maybe even less.
I think it might be shifted up a little, instead of a little less... Not that I don't agree with you, it's just the nature of the market right now.

Josh Anderson just got 5.25 long term deal after scoring 4 goals last season (albeit being injured).

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think it might be shifted up a little, instead of a little less... Not that I don't agree with you, it's just the nature of the market right now.

Josh Anderson just got 5.25 long term deal after scoring 4 goals last season (albeit being injured).

I don't know Anderson's deal is an outlier IMO. It seems crazy but Montreal clearly is paying him for his 2019 season performance banking on him getting back to that. Almost as if they totally disregard his performance last year.

But as far as the market pushing upward you may be right, we'll have to see how other comparable RFAs coming off their ELCs are handled.

To me, if Jake wants 4 million AAV +, I need to see more term than two years.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I don't know Anderson's deal is an outlier IMO. It seems crazy but Montreal clearly is paying him for his 2019 season performance banking on him getting back to that. Almost as if they totally disregard his performance last year.

But as far as the market pushing upward you may be right, we'll have to see how other comparable RFAs coming off their ELCs are handled.

To me, if Jake wants 4 million AAV +, I need to see more term than two years.
(also welcome back, man! hope you are well).

I think Bruins are trying to do bridge. In my opinion, ideally give or take 250k over/under 3.5M

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
(also welcome back, man! hope you are well).

I think Bruins are trying to do bridge. In my opinion, ideally give or take 250k over/under 3.5M

Thanks! Everything is good, just super busy. I shouldn't even be here today haha.

I'd like to see a bridge at 3 years around 3.75. That would be ideal IMO.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Thanks! Everything is good, just super busy. I shouldn't even be here today haha.

I'd like to see a bridge at 3 years around 3.75. That would be ideal IMO.
I could definitely live with that. Honestly... not sure how serious they think they are in the Hall sweepstakes, but I think once that happens, the other decisions will be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad