Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk III: Signs 2 Years 3.675 AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Something I noticed with Debrusk this year so far is that his top gear is just not there. It seems like he is struggling to get up to speed. Now whether that's a conditioning or injury issue remains to be seen.
I don’t see him being out of breath or anything, but McAvoy said on Spittin Chiclets that his diet isn’t the greatest and he loves McDonald’s. :laugh:

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Something I noticed with Debrusk this year so far is that his top gear is just not there. It seems like he is struggling to get up to speed. Now whether that's a conditioning or injury issue remains to be seen.
If it’s an injury then it’s been lingering since the bubble play.

Im leaning more towards conditioning if those are the two choices.

On a slightly brighter note, I thought the last few games have been some of his more noticeable. He’s definitely been more efficient on the forecheck. Getting there. Getting some chances

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I think it's time to ship him out and address other needs.
I don't disagree, but I have to say, Debrusk's value is probably lowest it's been since he's been here.

Question for anyone, and hypothetically: Are we selling low? Or will his value get even lower?

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I don't disagree, but I have to say, Debrusk's value is probably lowest it's been since he's been here.

Question for anyone, and hypothetically: Are we selling low? Or will his value get even lower?

Absolutely.

Unless the return equals that of a young 25 goal winger, you sit back and cross your fingers he finds his game.

Reactions: Lo97 and 13Hockey

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Just don’t see the spark from him - This year has been a tough ride for anyone and hits different people in different ways. It’s been real bad for some young folks and maybe it’s playing a role with him too. He seemed like a pretty bright, social and upbeat kid, and he seems to be fighting it all right now. Hope he’s alright.

Last edited:
Reactions: GordonHowe and kjpm

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Absolutely.

Unless the return equals that of a young 25 goal winger, you sit back and cross your fingers he finds his game.
I still think he gets dealt because if Sweeney goes with the 7-3-1 protection model, DeBrusk isn't worthy of being protected. Ritchie and Frederic have done much more to warrant being protected. Might as well get something for Jake now.

Reactions: Kalus and Bodit9

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I still think he gets dealt because if Sweeney goes with the 7-3-1 protection model, DeBrusk isn't worthy of being protected. Ritchie and Frederic have done much more to warrant being protected. Might as well get something for Jake now.
I understand, but what will we realistically get for a struggling streaky winger?

Brett Connolly (albeit a few years older) with a similar contract and similar numbers is on waivers today.

Best case scenario would be taking another struggling player from an different organization and swap, if that's the route they go. Can't see him being a centerpiece on bringing back something we need.

Reactions: ChuckSurette

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

Who do you have them protecting?

I know this is a "what have you done for me lately" place, but he's basically been the only player proven to be capable to putting the puck in the net outside the top line since entered the league.... He's younger than Ritchie and a year older than Frederic.... You don't have to make a decision now. There's lots of time.

Brett Connolly (albeit a few years older) with a similar contract and similar numbers is on waivers today.

Best case scenario would be taking another struggling player from an different organization and swap, if that's the route they go. Can't see him being a centerpiece on bringing back something we need.

If you pick up Connely & send him to taxi squad:

Does he go through waivers again?
If he gets to taxi squad - does he count against cap?

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I understand, but what will we realistically get for a struggling streaky winger?

The Oilers would bite. Edmonton needs quality wingers, and Debrusk, an Edmonton native, would flourish playing alongside McDavid (or even Drai). Sending Debrusk as part of a package could fetch an interesting return, including any of, for example, a first-round pick, Bouchard or Broberg.

It seems time for Boston to move on from him. He needs a change of scenery and a kick in the ass.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
The Oilers would bite. Edmonton needs quality wingers, and Debrusk, an Edmonton native, would flourish playing alongside McDavid (or even Drai). Sending Debrusk as part of a package could fetch an interesting return, including any of, for example, a first-round pick, Bouchard or Broberg.

It seems time for Boston to move on from him. He needs a change of scenery and a kick in the ass.
I have a little skepticism thinking Debrusk could fetch the two bolded options currently. But maybe I'm really underrating Debrusks value.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Who do you have them protecting?

I know this is a "what have you done for me lately" place, but he's basically been the only player proven to be capable to putting the puck in the net outside the top line since entered the league.... He's younger than Ritchie and a year older than Frederic.... You don't have to make a decision now. There's lots of time.
Pastrnak, Marchand, Bergeron, Coyle, Ritchie, Frederic, and the forward they get back for DeBrusk. I'm convinced they move him before the deadline. He's a total ghost when he's not in front of the net tipping in shots and putting home rebounds. He's also not a core player or someone you build around, much less someone you go out of your way to protect from an expansion draft, from reaching free agency, etc. Not that Ritchie and Frederic are such players, either. I just don't see him here in Boston long-term.

Another aspect is his contract situation. He only has 1 year left and he has a delusional agent who likely won't want to settle for another "discount." Sweeney did the right thing by not giving him an asinine contract in terms of years and money. I think Sweeney did that because of DeBrusk's streaky play. It was a "prove it to me" deal where if he killed it on his bridge deal he'd be extended, and if he became a passenger or continued to be streaky the contract would be easy to move. Basically, it'd be the opposite of trying to move a Backes type contract.

But I could be wrong and maybe Sweeney will be hesitant to trade him and protect him. Friedman and Marek said on their podcast that Brad Treliving is hesitant to trade Sam Bennett because he was his first draft pick and he has an affinity for Bennett. DeBrusk's was Sweeney's 2nd draft pick. Maybe Sweeney feels the same way as Treliving? Keep in mind that Donato and Heinen were technically Chiarelli's draft picks.

Reactions: Bodit9

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Pastrnak, Marchand, Bergeron, Coyle, Ritchie, Frederic, and the forward they get back for DeBrusk. I'm convinced they move him before the deadline. He's a total ghost when he's not in front of the net tipping in shots and putting home rebounds. He's also not a core player or someone you build around, much less someone you go out of your way to protect from an expansion draft, from reaching free agency, etc. Not that Ritchie and Frederic are such players, either. I just don't see him here in Boston long-term.

Another aspect is his contract situation. He only has 1 year left and he has a delusional agent who likely won't want to settle for another "discount." Sweeney did the right thing by not giving him an asinine contract in terms of years and money. I think Sweeney did that because of DeBrusk's streaky play. It was a "prove it to me" deal where if he killed it on his bridge deal he'd be extended, and if he became a passenger or continued to be streaky the contract would be easy to move. Basically, it'd be the opposite of trying to move a Backes type contract.

But I could be wrong and maybe Sweeney will be hesitant to trade him and protect him. Friedman and Marek said on their podcast that Brad Treliving is hesitant to trade Sam Bennett because he was his first draft pick and he has an affinity for Bennett. DeBrusk's was Sweeney's 2nd draft pick. Maybe Sweeney feels the same way as Treliving? Keep in mind that Donato and Heinen were technically Chiarelli's draft picks.

If that's the case, sure. Assuming that player is the top-6 forward they are seeking.

Past Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, and Coyle, I think there's a whole lot up in the air in terms of who gets protected.

I'm just looking at DeBrusk's 1 goal on 30 shots. The previous three seasons he's averaged 25 goals/82. Age 21-23. His shots/game this year is virtually the same as his career average.

He's a notoriously streaky player. At least let him get through an up streak. Would be a poor asset management to let him go for whatever you can get due to expansion after 14 games.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I think it's time to ship him out and address other needs.

Only issue is you are trading him when his value is INSANELY low. I don't like the body language/effort/results at all.... but I feel trading him now would yield a less than pleasing return. I'm all for moving him in the return is right however.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
If it’s an injury then it’s been lingering since the bubble play.

Im leaning more towards conditioning if those are the two choices.

On a slightly brighter note, I thought the last few games have been some of his more noticeable. He’s definitely been more efficient on the forecheck. Getting there. Getting some chances

Then he follows it up with a bit of a stinker today

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Absolutely.

DeBrusk's compete level is terrible right now. If they could get Palmieri and say a 3rd for him and a 5th I would do it. I think DeBrusk has some type kf issue dealing with the Kadri headshot.

Maybe see if San Jose would bite on DeBrusk and Boston's #1 for Leonard and SJ #1.

Reactions: Bodit9

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
he's sucked all over the ice for years -- it has zero to do with position nor linemates.

That is a rediculous take. He's been worst case a good
3 LW on a Cup contender. Something significant
physically or emotionally has happened to DeBrusk
nit a doubt IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad