Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk III: Signs 2 Years 3.675 AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
You may be right but look at the same stuff from Marchand. The first several years of his career here you can say the same thing. I don't go on other teams boards but I wonder what Avs fans think of Kadri?
'==

Fair enough.

I would say, I'm not certain Brad cost the Bruins as dearly as Kadri did the Leafs. He did a lot of sketchy stuff, and did so quite deliberately. Doing so, he has said, allowed him to gain a foothold in the NHL.

As Howe observed, "A little rough play gives you a little respect, and a little more room."

I don't see that from Kadri. But, that's me and maybe I'm wrong.

We can yet agree that passion is part of the game we love. :nod:

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
What has happened to Jake? He looks really bad this year.
When he's not in front of the net tipping in shots and putting home rebounds he doesn't bring much to the table. He's the JBJ of the Bruins. A quality, albeit very streaky player. I think he gets dealt at the deadline. If by some miracle he is still here, he'll get dealt this offseason or sometime next year (if they protect him). Although I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle passes on him if he continues to play like he has for the majority of this season, in addition to his contract status.

Reactions: Bodit9

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It pains me to say this, but I think I'm ready to move on. I was banging that JDB drum after he scored a couple big playoff goals against Toronto, and was skating by the bench pounding the B on his chest. It was beautiful, raw, Bruins erotica, but that is the ghost of Jake Debrusk.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
When he's not in front of the net tipping in shots and putting home rebounds he doesn't bring much to the table. He's the JBJ of the Bruins. A quality, albeit very streaky player. I think he gets dealt at the deadline. If by some miracle he is still here, he'll get dealt this offseason or sometime next year (if they protect him). Although I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle passes on him if he continues to play like he has for the majority of this season, in addition to his contract status.

You’re out to lunch on DeBrusk being exposed for the expansion draft. Add into it thinking Seattle would pass on it?

Delete this take. It’s that bad. Haha

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
You’re out to lunch on DeBrusk being exposed for the expansion draft. Add into it thinking Seattle would pass on it?

I don't think it's unrealistic.

He's currently sitting on 7 goals in his last 40 games. Isn't tremendously physical or defensively aware.

What is he?

Would Seattle really take him if he's available -- especially over a Lauzon, Zboril, possibly Grzelcyk or Smith?

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I don't think it's unrealistic.

He's currently sitting on 7 goals in his last 40 games. Isn't tremendously physical or defensively aware.

What is he?

Would Seattle really take him if he's available -- especially over a Lauzon, Zboril, possibly Grzelcyk or Smith?
Lauzon and Zboril have a combined 2 goals in 68 games while Grzelcyk has 10 in 203. I also doubt they pick Smith considering he is 31.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Lauzon and Zboril have a combined 2 goals in 68 games while Grzelcyk has 10 in 203. I also doubt they pick Smith considering he is 31.

Well, if they're choosing defensemen based on how many goals they score, they're probably doing it wrong.

I'd think if Lauzon, Zboril, Grzelcyk, DeBrusk and Smith were all available -- DeBrusk would be their third or 4th choice.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well, if they're choosing defensemen based on how many goals they score, they're probably doing it wrong.

I'd think if Lauzon, Zboril, Grzelcyk, DeBrusk and Smith were all available -- DeBrusk would be their third or 4th choice.

All of this depends on who else is available for Seattle to take from other teams. That is the big unknown right now.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
All of this depends on who else is available for Seattle to take from other teams. That is the big unknown right now.
Hard for me to agree with this more than I do. Truly impossible to predict what Seattle will do with our list, whatever it is.

Who is on other teams lists?
Who gets injured on any team’s list and becomes less attractive?
What team offers what deals?
And as Wally says, what players on all teams lists get offered by Seattle as trade bait to other teams?

In a vacuum I have my own thoughts as to what I’d want from Boston, based on an assumption of who will be on that list.

However, making guesses based on assumptions using incomplete information now..... as opposed months from now when things become a bit clearer (almost all of which we won’t be privy to)? Fun, but not anything more than that.

All that said? I have slightly more confidence in who will be grabbed from Boston than I do in my ability to predict tonight’s Lotto number.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007

This would be a great outcome for Boston. He sucks and I really don’t want to lose zboril or Lauzon who look like they can play

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
This would be a great outcome for Boston. He sucks and I really don’t want to lose zboril or Lauzon who look like they can play
I'd still be stunned if Sweeney opts to protect 4 D. In the small chance, IMO, that DeBrusk is not traded by the deadline I wouldn't be shocked if Sweeney opted to keep him from Seattle. I was listening to 31 Thoughts a few weeks ago and they mentioned that Brad Treliving is hesitant to trade Sam Bennett because he was his first draft pick and he has an affinity for Bennett. I'm not saying I know for sure, because I don't, but maybe the same thing would take place here because DeBrusk was his 2nd draft pick. I still suspect that he was briefly bumped up with Marchand and Bergeron in order to inflate his stats and make him more appetizing in trade talks.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I'd still be stunned if Sweeney opts to protect 4 D. In the small chance, IMO, that DeBrusk is not traded by the deadline I wouldn't be shocked if Sweeney opted to keep him from Seattle. I was listening to 31 Thoughts a few weeks ago and they mentioned that Brad Treliving is hesitant to trade Sam Bennett because he was his first draft pick and he has an affinity for Bennett. I'm not saying I know for sure, because I don't, but maybe the same thing would take place here because DeBrusk was his 2nd draft pick. I still suspect that he was briefly bumped up with Marchand and Bergeron in order to inflate his stats and make him more appetizing in trade talks.
I hear you. It would be a major defeat if another of the 2015 draft picks fell through given the amount of franchise players that were available. Having said that, it would be the right move at this point.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What are you an idiot ... wait? Hmmm....so you can keep Zboril, Grzelcyk, Frederic, Lauzon ???
On the face of it, it seems ridiculous but it’s actually not at all it’s a great question Matt

I can’t see him being exposed - maybe traded but it’s something to think about

as for DeBrusk what is the problem

He was best player against Rangers because he made a conscious effort

to me it’s motor

he’s cruising around but you need to be Guy LaFleur to play that way

I like him I root for him but he needs to get back to that guy on Providence who had 2:1 assist ratio and battled all 3 zones

He’s got the tools and in a funk but he needs to string multiple strong games together

one positive he was better then Pastrnak last night

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
as for DeBrusk what is the problem

He was best player against Rangers because he made a conscious effort

to me it’s motor

he’s cruising around but you need to be Guy LaFleur to play that way

I like him I root for him but he needs to get back to that guy on Providence who had 2:1 assist ratio and battled all 3 zones

He’s got the tools and in a funk but he needs to string multiple strong games together

one positive he was better then Pastrnak last night

This is the problem though- since that post-season after his second year this what we have gotten from the guy- one strong game that reminds you what he can do if he brings the "motor." But if he brings that every 4 or 5 games (or less), he's not much use to the team.

How long do you give him get to get back to that guy he was in Providence or his first two seasons?

Does he goes to the press box for a while? Do the Bruins move him for another struggling young player in a 'change of scenery' deal a la Heinen-Ritchie? Something needs to happen as Jake is going to run out of rope even with a coach who seems to still really believe in him.

Reactions: Bodit9

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
This is the problem though- since that post-season after his second year this what we have gotten from the guy- one strong game that reminds you what he can do if he brings the "motor." But if he brings that every 4 or 5 games (or less), he's not much use to the team.

How long do you give him get to get back to that guy he was in Providence or his first two seasons?

Does he goes to the press box for a while? Do the Bruins move him for another struggling young player in a 'change of scenery' deal a la Heinen-Ritchie? Something needs to happen as Jake is going to run out of rope even with a coach who seems to still really believe in him.
Something I noticed with Debrusk this year so far is that his top gear is just not there. It seems like he is struggling to get up to speed. Now whether that's a conditioning or injury issue remains to be seen.

Reactions: Dr Hook and kjpm

kjpm

May 28, 2011
Something I noticed with Debrusk this year so far is that his top gear is just not there. It seems like he is struggling to get up to speed. Now whether that's a conditioning or injury issue remains to be seen.

I noticed this as well. Also looks really tired when he's coming back after a rush. He did have that lower body injury earlier but even before that he looked slower than he used to. Wouldn't surprise me if his conditioning is poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad