Jake calling out deadhead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It's replaced +/- as the most grotesquely abused stat

I agree. What I despise is when people treat Corsi as a definitive evaluation metric, ignoring that 4 of the top 6 teams in the stat missed the playoffs, & the team that ranked 24/31 won the Cup.

They are both +/- stats. And I like to look at Corsi with context. But many look at it both in a vacuum & as if it is magical.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Several people tried to date her
719.gif

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
If Jake really does read this, he’ll score a goal tonight and give us a little shoutout celly. I’m thinking beard stroke into bow and arrow. Something outlandish enough that we knows it’s real. And outlandish enough to enshrine as a gif on here.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I agree. What I despise is when people treat Corsi as a definitive evaluation metric, ignoring that 4 of the top 6 teams in the stat missed the playoffs, & the team that ranked 24/31 won the Cup.

They are both +/- stats. And I like to look at Corsi with context. But many look at it both in a vacuum & as if it is magical.
Corsi means f*** all.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I didn't even know that people were down on Jake. He's been pretty much our best player outside of Giroux since he got here, certainly from a statistical standpoint.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

I feel like most advanced stats are pretty flawed from an argument standpoint. Hockey has a lot of random variables that don't translate well unlike say baseball.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why? It's not AMac's fault that Holmgren is a dunce. Would you have turned down that contract?

I judge AMac for what he is, a 3rd pair veteran defenseman who is a stabilizing influence (Flyers season turned around last year when he returned from injury) with the young defensemen. He's the kind of player who fills in while young player develop, there's no question of effort, just limited talent. If Morin was healthy and Myers was ready, he might already be gone, but Myers didn't show enough in preseason (yes, he looks like Tarzan, but played like Cheetah).

He should be on a Schultz type contract (2 year, $4M or so), in which case there would be limited vitriol.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Why? It's not AMac's fault that Holmgren is a dunce. Would you have turned down that contract?

I judge AMac for what he is, a 3rd pair veteran defenseman who is a stabilizing influence (Flyers season turned around last year when he returned from injury) with the young defensemen. He's the kind of player who fills in while young player develop, there's no question of effort, just limited talent. If Morin was healthy and Myers was ready, he might already be gone, but Myers didn't show enough in preseason (yes, he looks like Tarzan, but played like Cheetah).

He should be on a Schultz type contract (2 year, $4M or so), in which case there would be limited vitriol.

If you consider him a 3rd pairing dman, then you must surely consider it to be bad coaching when he is played as a second pairing dman over superior players.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you consider him a 3rd pairing dman, then you must surely consider it to be bad coaching when he is played as a second pairing dman over superior players.

If there were superior players.
MacDonald is a better PK player than Sanheim right now, and that's the difference in minutes between them.
When Sanheim plays up to his talent, he'll play more TOI than Amac.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If there were superior players.
MacDonald is a better PK player than Sanheim right now, and that's the difference in minutes between them.
When Sanheim plays up to his talent, he'll play more TOI than Amac.

Sanheim is superior to MacDonald. Has been for a while.

So do you believe it is good coaching to play bad players over better players?

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim is superior to MacDonald. Has been for a while.

So do you believe it is good coaching to play bad players over better players?

That's your amateur opinion, devoid of context.
I don't respect your hockey judgement, so why should I take your opinions seriously?

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I absolutely agree that AMac is overpaid but can you actually deny he doesn't make costly mistakes?

For everyone's reading pleasure:

"When MacDonald was on the ice, the Flyers allowed 50.87 CA/60, the second highest mark among Philadelphia defensemen, which suggests that shot suppression might not be his strong suit after all. Shocking, I know. Something that some fans and analysts have used to defend MacDonald and argue in his favor is that he does well at boxing players out and keeping their shots to the outside. How accurate is that though?
macdonald_shots_allowed_with.png

macdonald_shots_allowed_without.png

Not very, so it seems. These with or without you heat maps look even worse for MacDonald when you remember that he primarily played on the right side of the ice this season, the side in which the Flyers gave up the majority of the scoring chances while he was on the ice. This isn’t exactly surprising given that his expected goals against per 60 is the second highest on the team at 2.24. It goes without saying that MacDonald struggled to suppress both shot quantity and shot quality this season."

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Mac sucks, but he doesn’t suck on purpose, just to be a contrarian. At least he can’t help it.

Are you suggesting that because AMac is doing his best, he can't be blamed for stinking? That's participation trophy level apologizing

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I absolutely agree that AMac is overpaid but can you actually deny he doesn't make costly mistakes?

For everyone's reading pleasure:

"When MacDonald was on the ice, the Flyers allowed 50.87 CA/60, the second highest mark among Philadelphia defensemen, which suggests that shot suppression might not be his strong suit after all. Shocking, I know. Something that some fans and analysts have used to defend MacDonald and argue in his favor is that he does well at boxing players out and keeping their shots to the outside. How accurate is that though?
macdonald_shots_allowed_with.png

macdonald_shots_allowed_without.png

Not very, so it seems. These with or without you heat maps look even worse for MacDonald when you remember that he primarily played on the right side of the ice this season, the side in which the Flyers gave up the majority of the scoring chances while he was on the ice. This isn’t exactly surprising given that his expected goals against per 60 is the second highest on the team at 2.24. It goes without saying that MacDonald struggled to suppress both shot quantity and shot quality this season."

Now that we know that

a) this is a performance of a 3rd pairing Dman
b) there was no better option to start on the 2nd pair

I can only imagine how horrible these charts would look for other Dmen! haha

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's your amateur opinion, devoid of context.
I don't respect your hockey judgement, so why should I take your opinions seriously?

That you're throwing this sad little tantrum indicates you have nothing to stand on. You know Sanheim is better, deep down. But you have to keep lying to continue your defense of Hakstol.

Reactions: FlyersMania2

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Now that we know that

a) this is a performance of a 3rd pairing Dman
b) there was no better option to start on the 2nd pair

I can only imagine how horrible these charts would look for other Dmen! haha

They don't, he is SECOND highest shots against while on the ice for dmen and third highest TOI for all defenseman. Doesn't sound like a third pairing to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad