Confirmed with Link: Jake Allen (4 years @ $4.35m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Brodeur has transformed Allen.

Even in the previous stretches where Allen played well, he still showed some erratic positioning and, for lack of a better word, got lucky at times.

The new Allen is very square to the shooter and is closing the 5 hole MUCH more quickly and consistently than he has in the past. He always has his stick on the ice, is not oversliding, and is sealing the short side.

The nice thing about relying on positioning is that it provides a solid foundation for confidence. Allen looks more confident and refined every game and probably will be better able to bounce back from the unlucky bounces and goals. There will be unlucky goals and simply some skill plays that beat a goaltender, but the bad goals (such as 5 hole goals and some short side goals) are the ones that sap confidence. Great goals on bang-bang plays won't hurt him...he is trusting his defense to limit those attempts.

I have a feeling that it is easier for Allen to trust Brodeur....for very obvious reasons. If one of the greatest goaltenders of all time tells you it's the proper way to play, he is probably correct.

Kudos to Jake...and to Marty!
Agreed.

Allen seemed to really like Marty when he was originally brought in as a goalie too, so I think the relationship between the two is very strong. And like you said, Brodeur certainly knows a thing or two about how to play.

It's just a great situation all around. We have seen Allen play well for stretches before in the past so he's not completely done proving himself, but this is a great step in the right direction for sure.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Elliott and Allen have had very similar seasons, they've both been on fire after the all-star break.

Statistically, their careers are almost identical.

Also, it's a shame Allen didn't get those 2 SO's the past week that he should have got. He would be tied with Turek! :laugh: At the pace he is going though, he will lead the franchise in Shutouts if he is here till the end of his contract.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Last 10 starts for Jake Allen:
GAA - 1.50
SV% - .948
Record - 7-3
SO - 2

Even in those losses his sv% was .919. and allowed only 7 goals total.

I found Allen after the game and wanted to get a few words but he didn't say much. Snapped a candid photo of him though!

new-brick-wall.jpg

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
dont worry the allen haters will turn on him as soon as we lose a game by 1 goal in a 1-0 loss.

jake has been fine since the ASG. he had same issue elliott had during the lockout season, just needed a few weeks to get his head straight. also to be fair the blues have been padding their leads alot which is big difference.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Jake Allen | St. Louis Blues #34 G 6'2" 203lbs | Born Aug 7, 1990 in Fredericton, NB, CAN 2016-17 | STL | GP 54 | GS 53 | MIN 2999 | W 29 | L 19 | OT 3 | SO 4 | GA 122 | GAA 2.44 | SA 1408 | SV 1286 | SV% 0.913

Brian Elliott | Calgary Flames #1 G 6'2" 209lbs | Born Apr 9, 1985 in Newmarket, ON, CAN 2016-17 | CGY | GP 42 | GS 39 | MIN 2446 | W 23 | L 14 | OT 3 | SO 2 | GA 102 | GAA 2.50 | SA 1140 | SV 1038 | SV% 0.911

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Jake Allen | St. Louis Blues #34 G 6'2" 203lbs | Born Aug 7, 1990 in Fredericton, NB, CAN 2016-17 | STL | GP 54 | GS 53 | MIN 2999 | W 29 | L 19 | OT 3 | SO 4 | GA 122 | GAA 2.44 | SA 1408 | SV 1286 | SV% 0.913

Brian Elliott | Calgary Flames #1 G 6'2" 209lbs | Born Apr 9, 1985 in Newmarket, ON, CAN 2016-17 | CGY | GP 42 | GS 39 | MIN 2446 | W 23 | L 14 | OT 3 | SO 2 | GA 102 | GAA 2.50 | SA 1140 | SV 1038 | SV% 0.911

It really is amazing how similar their seasons have been both statistically and the timing of good/bad play.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'll give Allen big respect tap on his shoulders when he win one playoff series as a starter.

Regular season games are totally different then playoff games.

These video will haunt that long until Allen proves to win a series. He single handedly lose that series.

I miss @Fred Murtz and where is our aussie aussie aussie friend and Elk. :(

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Only difference is that Elliott pushed us last year WCF. Allen hasn't ever done that. Never. I doubt he will. He hasn't prove nothing in playoffs. If he can do it then the story is totally different.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
if the blues do some damage this spring it will be because of allen.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
if the blues do some damage this spring it will be because of allen.

Yes if Allen let softies this team will go down quickly like previous videos show us, but if he really can step another level we've change for win series or two. Beyond that our bottom 6 players need to play a decisive role.

Interesting to see how far this team could go if Allen is brickwall and give team to change a win. I really hope he can play high level like he has done recenlty, b/c current team relies so much how well goaltender is playing. And win a series would give huge boost Allen's game, knowing he can be winning goaltender.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Only difference is that Elliott pushed us last year WCF. Allen hasn't ever done that. Never. I doubt he will. He hasn't prove nothing in playoffs. If he can do it then the story is totally different.

Allen has only been given 1 real shot at a playoff run, lets give him the benefit of the doubt here.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
This is where I'm at right now. He's playing some incredible hockey. Hopefully he keeps it up into the playoffs, because we'll be dangerous if he does.

He should still be good on the square shots. The worry would be better competition creating cross-crease one timers that throw off his game. OFC, it's on the defense, not Jake, to prevent those opportunities.

In sum, if Jake stops the ones he should stop and our D keeps playing well, we could be dangerous assuming good refs and equal puck luck.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
2 can play that game

The Penner goal was clearly deflected by our own defenseman. For some reason, it feels like this has been explained to you before but you can't comprehend it.

The Voynov goal was pretty bad but still nothing compared to Allen.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
The Penner goal was clearly deflected by our own defenseman. For some reason, it feels like this has been explained to you before but you can't comprehend it.

The Voynov goal was pretty bad but still nothing compared to Allen.

here comes the excuse train. both garbage goals, just like both ones posted with allen in net are garbage.

the difference is i dont defend GARBAGE goals, period.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Allen with another good game. I have a feeling that Brodeur reminded him to keep his stick on the ice after that deflection 5 hole goal :), but Jake continues to progress and look steady.

The speed with which he is closing the 5 hole on square shots is better and more consistent than it has ever been in the past...I have a feeling thet Marty worked on square to the shot, close the 5 hole and stick on the ice.....Jake appears more comfortable and ingrained with it every game. He should get better and better laterally but the foundation must be sqaure to the initial shot and close the 5 hole.

BTW, he also has been stellar on hugging the post and seem to be more confident than ever tracking the puck from behind the net on blitz pass one timers. His tracking through traffic also seems to be getting better.

Jake playing great. Marty is the goalie whisperer.

Let's be honest..when your goalie is one of your best players on a consistent basis, the entire team changes and becomes more aggressive. Kudos to Jake!

Last edited:

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Yeo's decision to switch back to zone D was huge. Pucks are being kept out of the center of the ice and funneled to the perimeter now. The number of pucks that ended up between the circles, 10 feet out with no defender within sticks reach, were ridiculous before the change. No goalie in the league is going to do well when your coughing two or three of those up a game. I think the improvement is as much a team effort as effort by any one individual.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
It really is amazing how similar their seasons have been both statistically and the timing of good/bad play.

Heck their entire career's are almost identical.

Allen: 2.38GAA, .915sv%
Elliott: 2.41GAA, .914sv%

Give Allen a few years and he will probably have the Blues SO record (he should have 2 more this year) but I don't know if he will get to the sv% and GAA records Elliott had. Not trying to trash Ells here but he never got starter number of games played in a season here and Allen will most likely always get that as long as he is healthy. If Elliott played that much he probably wouldn't have those records here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad