Confirmed with Link: Jake Allen (4 years @ $4.35m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I was fearing something like 6-7 years for 5-5.5M AAV. These numbers are much better.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The contract is fine. I'm not thrilled at the possibility of him being our starter for the next five years, but it could certainly be much worse.

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
AKA, Armstrong basically admitted he's not a good evaluator of goalie talent.

He's a bad GM so why would you think he's a goalie guru.

I'm okay with this deal as it's only four years but Allen is not a no.1 goalie yet. It would have been best to ride Moose for next year, play a 1A/1B situation and have Allen continue to develop and work significantly on some of his shortfalls. He has quite a bit to work on from positioning to mental strength. This deal could work in year4 but for the next few years, there's going to be a lot of growing pains. It's been clear for some time that they feel Allen "is the future"/is the no1 goalie but I'm still very skeptical that he has the ability to backstop this team to the Cup.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
A little rich for my taste, but whatever. I still have zero faith in Allen as the goalie of the future, so any deal I'd probably not jump for joy over.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Banking on potential here. Hope it's a steal in the end, but it's a gamble right now.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm always amazed at the dislike for Allen.

I don't dislike him, but he has proven nothing. I think some get blinded by the fact that he has good technique, and it makes them more willing to overlook the fact he gives up more goals than he should.

Hopefully he'll get better in that regard, but he isn't a better goalie than Elliott today.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Paying a guy for things that haven't happened yet Armstrong 101.

No joke....one complete playoff meltdown gets you over 4 million aav? And, if he melts down again next year and we realize he just doesn't have the right stuff for high leverage situations, we have a 4.5 million albatross contract.

How about he actually post a decent playoff performance first????????

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Absolutely no need to extend him yet. As people pointed out, he hasn't proven anything. He would be an RFA after this season, so we'd wouldn't lose him. Should have waited to see how well he handled the sole #1 responsibilities and the playoffs. With Hutton as the back-up, Allen is definitely THE man. Unfortunately, I don't think he's up for us. This move means its 5 years until we have a shot in the playoffs.

I hope I'm wrong, or I hope Husso can develop quickly.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
elliott fanboys need to move on. its officially jake time and either embrace it or go root for the Calgary Elliotts.

one stone cold lock for this season: allen will put up better #s than elliott by a large margin.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
His resigning and Brouwer leaving are the only two things I really see as a positive today. I guess signing Perron is a small plus. Other than that, this whole last week has been a big step backwards.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
elliott fanboys need to move on. its officially jake time and either embrace it or go root for the Calgary Elliotts.

one stone cold lock for this season: allen will put up better #s than elliott by a large margin.

Possibly, but it won't be by a large margin. And it will be the first time in his career he has EVER put up better numbers than Elliott. I hope it makes you proud. He marginally puts up better numbers not because he improved his game, but because we shipped Elliott to a bad team.

Cheap if he really becomes the #1 he is supposed to be.

And expensive if he can't handle the starter load or improve in the post-season. Time will tell. But there was no reason to take the gamble.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Can't wait to see how this one turns out. Maybe he will crap the bed in the playoffs as bad as he did against minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad