Confirmed with Link: Jake Allen (4 years @ $4.35m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I don't think Allen's past failure in the Minnesota series tells us much about how he will do in the 2017 playoffs.

For you guys who keep reminding us of Allen's past failures, it seems to me that you are forgetting how life works. Success doesn't always come to people all wrapped up in a bow. Sometimes you have to overcome failure, dedicate yourself and keep at it till you succeed.

The problem with the past is that it can haunt you mentally.

I'm worried about what happens when Allen lets in that first weak goal in the playoffs. It is going to happen. Happens to every goalie in a 4-7 game series. The best ones brush it off and make the next 10-20 saves and win the game. The mentally weak ones let it stay in their mind and then they give up more. Allen let up more vs. Minnesota in Games 5 and 6. By the time he was pulled in Game 6 his mind had just imploded. He may have given up 10 more goals in that game. Will it happen again this postseason?

I certainly hope not! I'm 100% on board Allen carrying us to the Cup. He has been hot for 2 months and has all the talent to win in the playoffs. He just needs to maintain focus. I'll believe he can when he does. His playoff numbers at every single level he has played at are terrible.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville

I'm worried about what happens when Allen lets in that first weak goal in the playoffs. It is going to happen. Happens to every goalie in a 4-7 game series. The best ones brush it off and make the next 10-20 saves and win the game. The mentally weak ones let it stay in their mind and then they give up more. Allen let up more vs. Minnesota in Games 5 and 6. By the time he was pulled in Game 6 his mind had just imploded. He may have given up 10 more goals in that game. Will it happen again this postseason?

I certainly hope not! I'm 100% on board Allen carrying us to the Cup. He has been hot for 2 months and has all the talent to win in the playoffs. He just needs to maintain focus. I'll believe he can when he does. His playoff numbers at every single level he has played at are terrible.

For some reason, call it gut instinct, I think he's on a real short leash and Hutton will play with his usual meth-head level of intensity to right the ship. Goaltending will be OK.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

If he can turn it around after the first half of this season, he can shake off a bad goal.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Allen was solid today in what was a playoff type game. Blues team did show up and play a great game offensively in front of him even though they were being outshot. Allen did a great job facing two 5 on 3 PPs, only giving up one goal. If he keeps playing like today in the playoffs, the Blues could surprise a lot of teams.

nonzerochance

May 16, 2016
Doesn't Brodeur make the call on who gets the start? I remember Yeo commented to that effect. That was still pretty early on though, may be no longer the case. Either way, I feel in Brodeur and Conklin's time as the goalie coaches, Brodeur has had an effect on Allen's mindset.

I don't necessarily agree Allen's on a short leash right now, but I think if he needs to be pulled it'll happen. I think he's earned the team's trust with his solid recent history though and is capable of bouncing back and not imploding. No need to yank him too quickly or have a playoff goalie controversy. Not giving Jake the chance to make some saves after he lets one bad goal in/has a bad game would just show the lack of fortitude of the team in general and particularly behind the bench.

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Allen was solid today in what was a playoff type game. Blues team did show up and play a great game offensively in front of him even though they were being outshot. Allen did a great job facing two 5 on 3 PPs, only giving up one goal. If he keeps playing like today in the playoffs, the Blues could surprise a lot of teams.

Solid? Id say he was much better than solid.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Easily the best NHL starter since Hitch was fired.

Last 10:
.946sv%
1.3GAA

From worst to best. Allen has been fantastic. I dont know if he's had a bad game since the coaching change

Maybe Brodeur gave him some of his blood.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
From worst to best. Allen has been fantastic. I dont know if he's had a bad game since the coaching change

Maybe Brodeur gave him some of his blood.
Personally I agree, he has had not what I would call a "bad game". The team has played a couple clunkers though.

I'm not picturing an IV in Jake's arm with Brodeur laying in a bed next to him getting blood drawn. :laugh:

And he's 12th if restricted to have the top 30 goalies in starts. He'll finish as an above average starter, with a realistic chance of cracking the top 10.

That would be insane. At the end of January he was one of the worst.

I feel confident saying that if Allen can play as good as he has since Feb 1st the Blues have a legit shot at being a sleeper team to go VERY deep into the playoffs.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Since I have been critical of Jake, credit where credit is due. Allen has been absolutely outstanding for us since the coaching change. It is insane how big the difference is. We've gone from questioning how we can cope with his contract to now comparing him to the best goalies in the league. Neither is an exaggeration based on his play at the time (although arguably a exaggeration based on sample size). His positioning, poise and reactions are infinitely better than they have been. He is staying square to the shooter and most importantly not over-reacting to the puck. His movement is controlled. I am curious to see how he does come playoff time. However, if he keeps this up, we could very well be looking at a decent run, not in spite of Jake, but because of him. We have a chance to beat any team in a series if we receive goaltending of the caliber he has put up lately. Kudos to Jake and the coaching staff for the turn around. Fingers crossed he can keep it up into the playoffs and beyond.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The key with Allen, as it always has been and will be, is his ability to play with composure. He's playing some great positional hockey. He's always had great reflexes and athletic ability, but at times in his career he's gotten himself in trouble by trying to do to much. He's at his best when he's staying steady and letting the game come to him and reacting. He has the athletic ability to do that.

Hopefully he keeps this up in the playoffs. He does that, and we could make some serious noise. I'll be interested in seeing how he responds next season.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I think it is also worth mentioning that a big part of the reason we are seeing his numbers rise is because of the defense he is now getting in front of him. I don't think it is any coincidence that his played turned around the minute Hitch left and we reverted to a zone defense. I was critical before Hitch was fired of the defense (Dmen and forwards) allowing passes right to the front of the crease, 10 feet out, with no Blues player in sight to box out or challenge the shooter. We were also seeing 3, 4 and sometimes more odd man rushes and breakaways per game with the previous defensive scheme. Jakes GAA and svp% suffered in large part due to that.

Jake has, of course, been showing better position as well. I think it is a combination of both. As others have mentioned, we can be fickle as fans when things aren't going smoothly and it is quite funny to look back just about 6 weeks ago when we were all wondering if we could break top ten in the draft or get a lottery pick. I'm excited to see our young guys get some playoff experience. A top 6 C and RW in the offseason and this team couple eclipse the level it had last year. Jake is a big part of that going forward. Should be fun watching the playoffs this year going in without all the pressure we've had in the previous seasons being classified as a top contender.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think it is also worth mentioning that a big part of the reason we are seeing his numbers rise is because of the defense he is now getting in front of him. I don't think it is any coincidence that his played turned around the minute Hitch left and we reverted to a zone defense. I was critical before Hitch was fired of the defense (Dmen and forwards) allowing passes right to the front of the crease, 10 feet out, with no Blues player in sight to box out or challenge the shooter. We were also seeing 3, 4 and sometimes more odd man rushes and breakaways per game with the previous defensive scheme. Jakes GAA and svp% suffered in large part due to that.

Jake has, of course, been showing better position as well. I think it is a combination of both. As others have mentioned, we can be fickle as fans when things aren't going smoothly and it is quite funny to look back just about 6 weeks ago when we were all wondering if we could break top ten in the draft or get a lottery pick. I'm excited to see our young guys get some playoff experience. A top 6 C and RW in the offseason and this team couple eclipse the level it had last year. Jake is a big part of that going forward. Should be fun watching the playoffs this year going in without all the pressure we've had in the previous seasons being classified as a top contender.

It's definitely a combination of the two. The Blues are unquestionably playing better in front of him, but Jake is also much more stable and under control in the net. For me rock bottom with Jake this season was the Capitals game at STC. That game was one where the defense played reasonably well and Jake was simply awful. It came after several games when our team was playing poorly and both goalies were letting in all kinds of goals(both bad goals and not). Jake was all over the place. He clearly had no confidence in himself or the guys in front of him. I think that was right before Copley was called up for that one game against the Jets where he actually played pretty well but still allowed 5 goals because our team defense was just abysmal. Such a rough time. The firing of Hitch/Corsi and hiring/adjusting role of Yeo/Brodeur might have saved Jake's career, or at least his time here. He's done a remarkable job turning his whole season around. I'd like nothing more than for him to shut me up and play lights out in the post season.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The defense might be playing better, but the Blues are still allowing a ton of shots. Look at the last 2 games vs the Preds and Avs.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
The defense might be playing better, but the Blues are still allowing a ton of shots. Look at the last 2 games vs the Preds and Avs.

I feel like the Preds shot total was inflated by the two 5 on 3s. The Blues outplayed Nashville for the most part at even strength.

The Colorado game was a gong show though, Blues just played awful.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

We are 9th in shots against per game since Yeo took over on 2/1, with 29 shots against per game.

We also have the 2nd most points in that same stretch, 2 behind Chicago, and the least goals given up, 15 better than 2nd.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015

Dont underestimate the power of Blues Legend(TM) Marty Brodeur coming in and telling Allen that he is good. We've all seen Allen make incredibly athletic plays, and is at his best when he is challenging shooters out from the net. The tools are there, but it's a mental obstacle holding him back. If Allen can learn how to stay in the zone from Brodeur, Allen could be a perennial top 10 goalie.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Avs game was telling on how much he has adjusted. Blues were playing like Hitch was the bench boss again. But Allen did not welt, He wasn't sliding around and just getting lucky. His positional soundness made things look easy for him.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
if the blues do some damage this spring it will be because of allen.

correct

BTW this deal is gonna look amazing if allen takes off like I expect him to now with a stellar postseason run. the total opposite of the Lehtera deal.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
correct

BTW this deal is gonna look amazing if allen takes off like I expect him to now with a stellar postseason run. the total opposite of the Lehtera deal.

Most of the criticism on this board was based off of past postseasons. If there are any doubters now, it's because they were being disingenuous to begin with. Allen was the MVP of this team this postseason.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Disingenuous how? He's given all of us a lot of confidence, but we've still yet to see him put a complete season together.

There were a substantial number of posters whose main gripe was that Jake seemed to "choke" in big games/series. Judging by your comment, that does not appear to be the sole reasoning for you so my post wouldn't apply in your specific instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad