Confirmed with Link: Jake Allen (4 years @ $4.35m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Don't look now, but, in a month's time, he's gone from .896 save % to .910.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Don't look now, but, in a month's time, he's gone from .896 save % to .910.

He finally caught up with Elliott! :laugh:

In all seriousness, Jake has looked a lot better since Corsi left and Brodeur took over. Hopefully he can keep it up.

That said, he's still 27th in the league with a .910 SV%

Last edited:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
He finally caught up with Elliott! :laugh:

In all seriousness, Jake has looked a lot better since Corsi left and Brodeur took over. Hopefully he can keep it up.

That said, he's still 27th in the league with a .910 SV%

caught up? as bad as allens was, hes been better than elliott the entire year while playing more games too.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Ya, remember that time Elliott was so ****ing bad that the team went on a road trip and didn't tell him? Ya neither do I, that was Jake Allen.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Ya, remember that time Elliott was so ****ing bad that the team went on a road trip and didn't tell him? Ya neither do I, that was Jake Allen.

yeah i do actually.

i remember elliott having the same issue jake had this year during the lockout shortened season a few years back and the blues had to send him down to Peoria to get his head and game straight.

The only difference is how the Blues handled it, they never sent Jake down and instead gave him a break.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Elliott and Allen have had very similar seasons, they've both been on fire after the all-star break.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I really don't get the Allen hate on this board. He's shown stretches of brilliance and stretches of suckage (copyright). Elliott took a long time to get his **** together, and he's no longer here. You'd think we'd back our goaltender, but there were people saying to put him on waivers just a few months ago. He's a young goaltender and is going through the pains of going from a two goalie system to the number one guy. As long as he continues to stay square to the puck and uses his athleticism as a last resort, he could be an elite goaltender in this league. I think Brodeur has tapped into his potential.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's had stretches like this before, last season from October to December in 29 starts, he had a sv% of 92.7%. He's always had that level of talent, it comes down to mental strength for him. He's had struggles in big games throughout his career and mental lapses in regular games. If he can find a way to over come that then he'll be at least an above average starter. Most starting caliber goalies are capable of elite stretches, but it's about extending those stretches and minimizing the lows.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
He's had stretches like this before, last season from October to December in 29 starts, he had a sv% of 92.7%. He's always had that level of talent, it comes down to mental strength for him. He's had struggles in big games throughout his career and mental lapses in regular games. If he can find a way to over come that then he'll be at least an above average starter. Most starting caliber goalies are capable of elite stretches, but it's about extending those stretches and minimizing the lows.

I remember with Allen he was the "guy" going into early January. He was playing really well. Then he got hurt. Elliott started but then caught on fire vs Montreal when he wore a mask that was designed similarly to CuJo's and stayed hot pretty much the rest of the season.

Assuming Allen doesn't get hurt, I don't think people would have been complaining as much about the Elliott trade, even though I think it was a fair trade and Elliott wanted out.

On a tangental note, I wonder how bad Hitch handled the goalie situation in his time in St. Louis. I feel like the only season that he handled the goalies really was 2011/2012 and last season. 2012/2013 was Elliott starting out like crap then Allen having to play OK, then the year after that was the trade for Miller in which Elliott should have started in the POs because Miller was hot garbage going into the playoffs, and then 2014/2015 Hitch said Elliott was the starter going into the playoffs only to change his mind.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I really don't get the Allen hate on this board. He's shown stretches of brilliance and stretches of suckage (copyright). Elliott took a long time to get his **** together, and he's no longer here. You'd think we'd back our goaltender, but there were people saying to put him on waivers just a few months ago. He's a young goaltender and is going through the pains of going from a two goalie system to the number one guy. As long as he continues to stay square to the puck and uses his athleticism as a last resort, he could be an elite goaltender in this league. I think Brodeur has tapped into his potential.

Before this year, the questions surrounding Allen, at least for me, centered more on his ability to step up his game in the playoffs. I wasn't particularly concerned about his workload stepping into the starters role with a solid veteran backup behind him. He's been a very good goaltender for about 80% of his regular starts since he turned pro. The critics who said the contract was horrendous when he was in the heart of his slump were in major knee-jerk mode.

However, to take the next step he needs to have a good showing if the Blues make the playoffs. The warranted criticism of Allen has to do with a fairly decent sample size of underwhelming performances when it matters most. After a mediocre 2015 series against Minnesota (and he was pretty bad in the game that mattered most...Game 5 at home...we all remember the first goal), Allen was given the opportunity to start one of the biggest games of the last decade last year against San Jose, another Game 5 (a decision I completely disagreed with at the time btw) and it was a terrible showing. I was at the game and his performance played a central role in that loss in my opinion. I was a very big Allen fan but that game started to turn things for me. I think I started to buy the criticism of him from his detractors.

But he's a young guy and hopefully will build on these experiences. But it's time for him to step up in the big games for me to truly trust him. I think most of the fanbase, even the Allen fans, are probably in agreement on that notion.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Before this year, the questions surrounding Allen, at least for me, centered more on his ability to step up his game in the playoffs. I wasn't particularly concerned about his workload stepping into the starters role with a solid veteran backup behind him. He's been a very good goaltender for about 80% of his regular starts since he turned pro. The critics who said the contract was horrendous when he was in the heart of his slump were in major knee-jerk mode.

However, to take the next step he needs to have a good showing if the Blues make the playoffs. The warranted criticism of Allen has to do with a fairly decent sample size of underwhelming performances when it matters most. After a mediocre 2015 series against Minnesota (and he was pretty bad in the game that mattered most...Game 5 at home...we all remember the first goal), Allen was given the opportunity to start one of the biggest games of the last decade last year against San Jose, another Game 5 (a decision I completely disagreed with at the time btw) and it was a terrible showing. I was at the game and his performance played a central role in that loss in my opinion. I was a very big Allen fan but that game started to turn things for me. I think I started to buy the criticism of him from his detractors.

But he's a young guy and hopefully will build on these experiences. But it's time for him to step up in the big games for me to truly trust him. I think most of the fanbase, even the Allen fans, are probably in agreement on that notion.

I agree with most of what you said. The highlighted, for me, is what I focus on. The team, in general, has been a no show in the playoffs. They play so well, until it comes to the playoffs, and then they **** the bed. I was at the games for that series. Tarasenko was the sole contributor for that series. I agree that Jake didn't play well, but you're not spreading the blame, as it should be.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
blaming jake for the sj series is as dumb as blaming elliott for that series. neither one of em cost us that series.

that series was LOST because tarasenko didnt score until game 6 when it was a blowout, because backes did not score, because steen did not score, because schwartz did not score.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
It's not about blaming someone for a series, stay out of that rabbit hole.

It's about Allen stepping up when it matters most - which he's not reliably done yet. You can get off topic with "the team wasn't playing well too" or "i blame X", but he's still going to have to show up to earn the fans and probably somewhat the team's trust. A mediocre playoffs this year will turn his current play into nothing more than a hot streak. He needs to prove he's more than that.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016

It's about Allen stepping up when it matters most - which he's not reliably done yet. You can get off topic with "the team wasn't playing well too" or "i blame X", but he's still going to have to show up to earn the fans and probably somewhat the team's trust. A mediocre playoffs this year will turn his current play into nothing more than a hot streak. He needs to prove he's more than that.

So if Jake gives up one goal per game, for all four games in the playoffs, but the rest of the team puts up no goals, it will be Allen's fault? Go back to the beginning of the season when the team averaged barely over a goal per game and we were still over .500. That was because Allen was playing well. No one was complaining about his playing then.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014

as far as im concerned, allen DID step up. let me ask you a question, how many times did elliott win a game in a series where the blues trailed? because to me, nothing says more about a goalies mental toughness than getting his team back into a series where they trail. the answer is ONCE (dallas series game 2). Jake has done it THREE times in a shorter track record (minnesota game 2 and game 4, sj game 4).

saying allen cost them the SJ series or didnt step up is so laughable. the reason he even got into that series is because the team was playing like a joke and hitch was looking for a spark. he got it in game 4 and got it again in game 5 until pavelski took over and players like tarasenko/backes/schwartz did nothing to respond themselves.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
as far as im concerned, allen DID step up. let me ask you a question, how many times did elliott win a game in a series where the blues trailed? because to me, nothing says more about a goalies mental toughness than getting his team back into a series where they trail. the answer is ONCE (dallas series game 2). Jake has done it THREE times in a shorter track record (minnesota game 2 and game 4, sj game 4).

saying allen cost them the SJ series or didnt step up is so laughable. the reason he even got into that series is because the team was playing like a joke and hitch was looking for a spark. he got it in game 4 and got it again in game 5 until pavelski took over and players like tarasenko/backes/schwartz did nothing to respond themselves.

Elliott won 2 series in which the Blues trailed, not 1. He played in Game 2 vs San Jose in 2012 after the Blues were down 1-0 after the first game once Halak went down and the Blues won that series.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Elliott won 2 series in which the Blues trailed, not 1. He played in Game 2 vs San Jose in 2012 after the Blues were down 1-0 after the first game once Halak went down and the Blues won that series.

Oh ya true. so 2

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Brodeur has transformed Allen.

Even in the previous stretches where Allen played well, he still showed some erratic positioning and, for lack of a better word, got lucky at times.

The new Allen is very square to the shooter and is closing the 5 hole MUCH more quickly and consistently than he has in the past. He always has his stick on the ice, is not oversliding, and is sealing the short side.

The nice thing about relying on positioning is that it provides a solid foundation for confidence. Allen looks more confident and refined every game and probably will be better able to bounce back from the unlucky bounces and goals. There will be unlucky goals and simply some skill plays that beat a goaltender, but the bad goals (such as 5 hole goals and some short side goals) are the ones that sap confidence. Great goals on bang-bang plays won't hurt him...he is trusting his defense to limit those attempts.

I have a feeling that it is easier for Allen to trust Brodeur....for very obvious reasons. If one of the greatest goaltenders of all time tells you it's the proper way to play, he is probably correct.

Kudos to Jake...and to Marty!

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Brodeur has transformed Allen.

Even in the previous stretches where Allen played well, he still showed some erratic positioning and, for lack of a better word, got lucky at times.

The new Allen is very square to the shooter and is closing the 5 hole MUCH more quickly and consistently than he has in the past. He always has his stick on the ice, is not oversliding, and is sealing the short side.

The nice thing about relying on positioning is that it provides a solid foundation for confidence. Allen looks more confident and refined every game and probably will be better able to bounce back from the unlucky bounces and goals. There will be unlucky goals and simply some skill plays that beat a goaltender, but the bad goals (such as 5 hole goals and some short side goals) are the ones that sap confidence. Great goals on bang-bang plays won't hurt him...he is trusting his defense to limit those attempts.

I have a feeling that it is easier for Allen to trust Brodeur....for very obvious reasons. If one of the greatest goaltenders of all time tells you it's the proper way to play, he is probably correct.

Kudos to Jake...and to Marty!

Very solid post.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Oh ya true. so 2

Exactly it was 3, Game 2 vs LA, Dustin Brown scored in the 1st. Kings led until the 3rd before Bergie tied the game. So same amount as Allen.

Allen's positioning has been near perfect most of the time. Last night was a solid testament to that. Shot went off he was screen and last split second he went down and his thigh rise covered his five hole. I'm so impressed with how much he has came around over the past month and a half.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Exactly it was 3, Game 2 vs LA, Dustin Brown scored in the 1st. Kings led until the 3rd before Bergie tied the game. So same amount as Allen.

Allen's positioning has been near perfect most of the time. Last night was a solid testament to that. Shot went off he was screen and last split second he went down and his thigh rise covered his five hole. I'm so impressed with how much he has came around over the past month and a half.

No its 2. Blues already had a 1-0 lead in that series.

BTW neither Jake's or Elliott's totals is impressive in the big picture, Crawford had 3 alone last year. But Jake has not had as many chances as Elliott has had.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
No its 2. Blues already had a 1-0 lead in that series.

BTW neither Jake's or Elliott's totals is impressive in the big picture, Crawford had 3 alone last year. But Jake has not had as many chances as Elliott has had.

Ah series leads but games. My bad, I stand corrected.

I agree Jake hasn't but that is purely out of age, I wholeheartedly believed that if he plays like he does now in the playoffs there is no reason why he can't provide that support to claw back into series, even prevent elimination. Crawford is just good. Yeah he has some great offense in front of him but I think he is just underrated by so many. He took over as #1 at 26 years old, same age as Jake is now. Crawford stumbled plenty before establishing himself. If Jake solidifies his mental game there is no reason he won't be the same type goalie that wants big games on his shoulders.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Far, far too early to tell either way. After the playoffs we will have a better picture of where Jake Allen is. Bringing up Elliott or comparing the two doesn't make sense and is pretty unfair to Allen. The best time to compare the two of them is when Allen's contract is up. At that point Allen will have played long enough to be able to get a solid sample size and progression.

You're comparing a guy with south of a hundred games and a playoff series played against a guy who owns three Blues franchise records, an All-Star appearance and what, three playoff series victories? Can't do that right now.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I love having Marty in the organization, but i think Conklin is probably getting overlooked a bit. He has also been working with the goalies and Allen played great in the AHL when he worked with Conklin. I'd be surprised if Allen's (and Hutton's) recent success isn't partially due to Marty and Conklin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad