NFL: Jaguars will pick first in the 2021 NFL Draft

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I'll guess that the Bengals go 3-12-1 this year. They are a more competitive team than last year but they have a long, long way to go.

There's no realistic path for the Jets to win more than 1 game, if any. If they keep Gase all year, I think they go 0-16. They aren't bad, they are generational bad.

If I'm the Bengals and I end up with the #2 or #3 pick and Pernei(sp?) Sewell is available, I don't trade the pick for anything less than a king's ransom. The OL must be the top priority for this team, full stop.

If Sewell isn't available, Ja'Marr Chase is also a great add if Green doesn't re-sign (which he likely won't) but OL is more important than WR. I believe in building QB/OL/DL in that order, so if they end up with Chase in the draft they need to actually spend money and improve that OL dramatically through trades and/or FA. Actually, they should do that even if they DO get Sewell, to be honest.
The Bengals have no need for Chase even without Green. Chase will probably be a NYG. I expect Bengals go Oline to protect their stud QB.

member 157595

The Bengals have no need for Chase even without Green. Chase will probably be a NYG. I expect Bengals go Oline to protect their stud QB.

I would definitely go OL if there's an available player that warrants the high pick. If Sewell somehow falls to them I'd run to the podium to draft him but with so many bad teams in the league that is questionable. Haven't watched much college football this year so I'm not sure who else is out there.

Chase has familiarity with Burrow and contributes to the concept of surrounding your potential franchise QB with weapons, but you and I are in agreement that the OL is the real priority (I've stated this as such before.)

member 157595

Better yet, steal an idea from Uncle Gary Bettman & include the 2 extra wild card teams (7 seeds)in the lottery; the Pats are the AFC's 7th seed; they win the lottery; draft Trevor & extend their dynasty another 15 years! :laugh:

No one loves Boston teams more than the NHL!

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The absolutely awful
Jets (0-7)

Very bad
Giants (1-6)
Jaguars (1-6)

Bad but should win a few more games
Falcons (1-6)
Dolphins from HOU (1-6)
Vikings (1-5)
Bengals (1-5-1)

Need to lose out and unlikely to do so

Cowboys (2-5)
Football Team (2-5)

I don't see 2 win teams like NE, DEN and LAC being in the 3 win range so I am not counting them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That would be dumb especially with all the uncertainty around COVID and the potential for continued economic fallout in years to come from it

To go back to school would be major risk on so many factors
Let's put it this way. Say the NFL allowed players to come out after 2 seasons away from HS instead of 3.

So, most people would have told Lawrence to skip out on Cincy. Now this year, they would say the same about NYJ. Face, it there is a reason why bad teams are bad. Very rare for a team to bomb out like Indy to draft Luck who stayed in school for a RS JR season rather than come out and get drafted by Carolina.

Lawrence can force a trade out. But, the compensation to get him is going to leave Lawrence's new team with a bare cupboard in terms of draft picks. So, for any success on his rookie deal, Lawrence's new team would have to have drafted well up to this season.

You are looking at a steeper price than what Washington paid for RG3.

NYJ still winless. Jags, NYG, MIN, ATL, Mia (via Hou) have 1 win. Cincy has 1 win and 1 Tie.

Let's say one of the other bottom feeders has to trade up for Lawrence. Lawrence is from Georgia, so what would ATL have to deal? Top 5 pick in 2021, their 2nd in 2021, plus 2022 and 2023 1st round picks. Probably a 2nd in one of those 2 years as well. And likely a roster player to include who is on a rookie contract? AJ Terrell at CB or one of their 2 OL that they took in 2019?

So, what would Lawrence have to start off with in 2021? Matt Ryan, even if moved would have so much dead cap space that there is no help in free agency whether he is or is not on the roster. Julio, what is the dead cap charge if they trade him?

Won't be a win/win situation for Lawrence either way.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Like I said prior, any top prospect (top 5 guaranteed) skiping a pro draft to come back to college should never be based on the team that land them but the benefits in staying another year in college. Like winning a championship or breaking records. It is not not the wisest decision financially with all things considered (injuries, covid, others)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
The absolutely awful
Jets (0-7)

Very bad
Giants (1-6)
Jaguars (1-6)

Bad but should win a few more games
Falcons (1-6)
Dolphins from HOU (1-6)
Vikings (1-5)
Bengals (1-5-1)

Need to lose out and unlikely to do so

Cowboys (2-5)
Football Team (2-5)

I don't see 2 win teams like NE, DEN and LAC being in the 3 win range so I am not counting them.
it was cute to see WFT fans think they were in the mix for Trevor

They never were that bad. They were ALWAYS a 4 win team at least.

Plenty of winnable games in the next 4.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Giants will win another at least. The Jags could very easily lose out but the Jets winning one is a big ask.

Fields looks like a darn good consolation prize though.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Yikes at his new comments for Jets fans. He’s totally staying unless the Jets trade the pick to a team he’s willing to go to by the deadline for him to announce, and everyone is going to lose their minds.

I really want to see him end up in NE for all the salt and hysteria but it ain’t gon happen
Belichick is too good of a coach even if the Patriots had the Jets roster for them to contend for #1 overall. He’d literally have to leave for a season for that to happen.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Yikes at his new comments for Jets fans. He’s totally staying unless the Jets trade the pick to a team he’s willing to go to by the deadline for him to announce, and everyone is going to lose their minds.

Belichick is too good of a coach even if the Patriots had the Jets roster for them to contend for #1 overall. He’d literally have to leave for a season for that to happen.
Wasn't it remarkable that Lawrence mentioned he might go "somewhere close"? If I were a Falcons fan, I would get very nervous now.

Gruß,
BSHH

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wasn't it remarkable that Lawrence mentioned he might go "somewhere close"? If I were a Falcons fan, I would get very nervous now.

Gruß,
BSHH
For any team, it would cost 3 first round picks, 1 or 2 second round picks, plus a player on a rookie contract to land Lawrence.

it will take some time to surround him with talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad