NFL: Jaguars will pick first in the 2021 NFL Draft

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Did you watch Tampa when Morris was the coach there? Looking at their schedule, I see 3 wins at best.

There is nothing I want more than to see them get the #1 pick and being stuck with Matt Ryan and the 3rd worst cap situation in the NFL.
That is probably two more wins than the Jets, dont see them getting the first pick.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
If the Jets land 1st overall and draft Lawrence. They would trade Darnold.

Darnold is good enough for the league and he is still enough. I think they could get a 2nd round pick for him.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yup. You and I have had this conversation already but if I'm Lawrence and the Jets have the #1 pick I don't declare.

That said, I didn't necessarily say I'd risk injury and actually play another year at Clemson either...
I think if Lawrence stay in college I don't think it's because of the Jets. It is because he loves it there or wants a college degree or some kind of football records.

In term of Football he has nothing to learn and a lot to lose to stay one more year.

He would be idiotic football/business wise to stay one more year. And next thing you know the Jets land first overall next year too.

I don't recall a player heralded as surefire 1st overall stay one more year in college?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Seems odd to bench Darnold but in this modern age of social media the tolerance for rookie QBs is very low. Suddenly teams have more pressure to win and keyboard analysts everywhere crown picks a bust after 5 or 6 games.

Ya'll know Troy Aikman started off his career terribly right? He went 1-11. Peyton Manning was terrible his first year.
Darnold is injured.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I think if Lawrence stay in college I don't think it's because of the Jets. It is because he loves it there or wants a college degree or some kind of football records.

In term of Football he has nothing to learn and a lot to lose to stay one more year.

He would be idiotic football/business wise to stay one more year. And next thing you know the Jets land first overall next year too.

I don't recall a player heralded as surefire 1st overall stay one more year in college?
There's a very legit possibility it happens. Dabo is unreal at convincing potential high picks to come back. There was Etienne this year and Christian Wilkins and Clelin Farrell in 2018. A few others as well. But I think Lawrence still comes out and if anything forces the first trade since Eli. Especially if Atlanta or Jacksonville are close to #1 and willing to trade for him.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
There's a very legit possibility it happens. Dabo is unreal at convincing potential high picks to come back. There was Etienne this year and Christian Wilkins and Clelin Farrell in 2018. A few others as well. But I think Lawrence still comes out and if anything forces the first trade since Eli.
Also to point out.

I don't think it is that catastrophic for the Jets if Lawrence stay in college instead of declairing for the draft. I know you lose a potential all-star QB but you can also draft a potential all-star LT instead and build around Darnold who clearly has talent.

member 157595

Atlanta has played like hot ass but with Quinn gone i have to imagine they can probably put a few wins together. They'll probably do what they did last year; start like garbage, win a bundle towards the end and screw themselves out of a pick. Same with Houston. The rest are your run of the mill bad like the Giants (were close to being 2-3 so far), Football Team and the Jags.

The Jets though? The Jets are a special type of trash. A type of trash that you only see once in a lifetime.
If the NFL were a universe, the Jets would be a gamma ray burst of just pure awfulness. An awfulness so terrible that the rest of the universe just has to stare at the majesty of how brightly the trashfire burns. I don't think anyone outsucks the Jets this season. It's a combo of horrible personnel outside of Crowder, Bell (i truly believe he'd be still a solid lead back in another uniform), Beckton and then the league's worst coaching staff by a light year.

That hilariously bad stretch where the Jets needed 1 stinking yard to get a first down only to come up short on both 3rd and 4th was a perfect demonstration of both. I know we say this every year about somebody but i would be impressed if they actually manage to win a game. They're that bad.

Adam Gase's record: 30-39

30 wins

30 losses by double digit points (!!!) and only 9 by single digits

I have never heard anyone liken a GRB to the New York Jets before, and that is why I love this post so much.

I didn't say he was going to do it, I was saying that's what I would do if I was him.

I'd rather sit out a year than play for the Jets as assembled.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I have never heard anyone liken a GRB to the New York Jets before, and that is why I love this post so much.

I didn't say he was going to do it, I was saying that's what I would do if I was him.

I'd rather sit out a year than play for the Jets as assembled.

I feel like I needed a more dramatic description for just how bad the Jets are. That and my younger cousin is now terrified of GRBs because the history Channel told him one will hit us so it was kinda on my mind lol.

Its pretty apt I feel like. A GRB is so bright its basically impossible to ignore for a few thousand light year radius. Much like how the Jets are so god damn bad the rest of professional sports basks in the the sheer amounts of suckitude the team puts out

Reactions: OmniCube

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
There's a very legit possibility it happens. Dabo is unreal at convincing potential high picks to come back. There was Etienne this year and Christian Wilkins and Clelin Farrell in 2018. A few others as well. But I think Lawrence still comes out and if anything forces the first trade since Eli. Especially if Atlanta or Jacksonville are close to #1 and willing to trade for him.
Unless the Jets can convince Dabo to be their coach!

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Jets are going to get the first overall two years in a row. That's how bad they are. Then what?
Lawrence can run but he can't hide.

Reactions: jcs0218

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Regarding the Jets, I am not sure the NFL is that hard of a league to get relevant again.

I mean everybody agree that the 2 most important pieces are the coach and the QB.

I do believe that just by changing the coaching staff with a competent one would improve them. Then, either with Darnold or Lawrence you use all the other high available picks to improve the offense. It is horrible to watch right now because the whole team have stopped playing for Gase and it is very obvious... that will hopefully change in the short term when they eventually fire his ass.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Also to point out.

I don't think it is that catastrophic for the Jets if Lawrence stay in college instead of declairing for the draft. I know you lose a potential all-star QB but you can also draft a potential all-star LT instead and build around Darnold who clearly has talent.
But isn't the window of a low cap hit for Darnold closing soon? A new QB would fit in much better with this full-scale rebuild - if the Jets were to achieve such thing.

Gruß,
BSHH

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
But isn't the window of a low cap hit for Darnold closing soon? A new QB would fit in much better with this full-scale rebuild - if the Jets were to achieve such thing.

Gruß,
BSHH
What is exactly the point to always go for a new QB with low cap hit? I mean Darnold negotiation power right now is not that great and eventually all good QB are getting paid top dollars.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Is this kid legit or is it mostly hype because of his name?

Both. He turned heads playing high school ball as a freshie to the point ****ing ESPN will be televising his next game nationally. The name however, is definitely pushing him more into the spotlight too.

Still a longggggg way to go in determining if he ends up following in his dad and uncle's footsteps but he's certainly no slouch either.

Reactions: irunthepeg

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Both. He turned heads playing high school ball as a freshie to the point ****ing ESPN will be televising his next game nationally. The name however, is definitely pushing him more into the spotlight too.

Still a longggggg way to go in determining if he ends up following in his dad and uncle's footsteps but he's certainly no slouch either.
I hate this. We really should not be putting all these spotlights on any high school football players. They are far more crapshoots than basketball prospects.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

He is a sophomore so he would finish HS in 2023. This earliest he would qualify for NFL draft is 2026. 5 seasons away.

way too early to be showing his games on ESPN channels.

given how Eli and the chargers played out the Manning family isn’t afraid to make a power play. So they likely would not sit back and just go to a perennial bad team like Jax for example.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I hate this. We really should not be putting all these spotlights on any high school football players. They are far more crapshoots than basketball prospects.

Agreed. Reminds me of Andrew Wiggins, the most hyped High School hoops player I've seen since LeBron.

Most hyped HS football player I've seen was Clowney. I live not far from where he grew up so I remember the local media touting him, but ESPN televised his college decision live and they did a round-table discussion about it afterwards. I know they've done that since but prior to Clowney I don't remember anyone getting that much attention.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad