NFL: Jaguars will pick first in the 2021 NFL Draft

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Andrew Luck was more of a given to go 1OV in the draft he was in than Peyton Manning was.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If the Jets land 1st overall and draft Lawrence. They would trade Darnold.

Darnold is good enough for the league and he is still enough. I think they could get a 2nd round pick for him.
I feel the Colts would be a good landing spot for him.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Jets would be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for Darnold. He's really not that good and Gase has done a really good job at ruining his strengths which will tough for him to overcome unless he goes to a proven QB developer. They'll most likely get a mid round pick, maybe a 2nd if there's a bidding war but most teams know he has warts and that the Jets have to get rid of him if they get the #1 pick. It all affects his value.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Jets would be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for Darnold. He's really not that good and Gase has done a really good job at ruining his strengths which will tough for him to overcome unless he goes to a proven QB developer. They'll most likely get a mid round pick, maybe a 2nd if there's a bidding war but most teams know he has warts and that the Jets have to get rid of him if they get the #1 pick. It all affects his value.
And he has shown enough flashes and Gase simply killed all his confidence.

As a Jets fan myself I would not be upset at all if he remains the Jets QB for a long time. I really like his tools and with better coaching I could foresee him becoming a top QB in the NFL.

As for "getting rid of him", I would not do that UNLESS you get Trevor Lawrence. Any other QB available would not be worth it. If they don't get Lawrence then you use all your draft capital to build a decent supporting cast around Darnold.

Fun fact Darnold is still younger than many top QB drafted last year.

Sep 19, 2008
Giants with the edge over WFT after today's events.

WFT firmly in contention for Trevor.

Jets still winless.

Would Bengals be in the mix?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Bengals would trade the pick for a king's ransom, I think.

They are still 1 and 1/2 games ahead of the Jets. A massive gap with how putrid and poorly coached NYJ is. Jets schedule is absolutely brutal too. The Bengals don't play the Jets for those wondering.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I’d imagine the Giants, Bengals, and Dolphins would all trade the pick should they happen to get it. WFT, Jets, Jaguars, and Falcons would all take him. I predict he goes to one of the latter 3 teams, either by them landing the pick or trading for it.

Sep 19, 2008
upload_2020-10-18_17-35-12.png

Nice

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I’d imagine the Giants, Bengals, and Dolphins would all trade the pick should they happen to get it. WFT, Jets, Jaguars, and Falcons would all take him. I predict he goes to one of the latter 3 teams, either by them landing the pick or trading for it.
I could see the thinking on the bengals and dolphins trading it away, but if I’m the giants, he’s definitely an upgrade over Jones, no?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I could see the thinking on the bengals and dolphins trading it away, but if I’m the giants, he’s definitely an upgrade over Jones, no?
I just have a very hard time seeing a team spend 2 top 10 picks on quarterbacks in a 3 year span. Especially when the first doesn't look like an outright bust.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I just have a very hard time seeing a team spend 2 top 10 picks on quarterbacks in a 3 year span. Especially when the first doesn't look like an outright bust.
Even the Jets.

They need talent everywhere and Sam Darnold is good enough IMO. If they could get a king ransom for the top pick and build around Darnold I would not be against it.... but it is very risky when you consider that Lawrence is possibly a once in a generation type of talent and the state of the current Jets.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah Im not sure the Giants would take him. He would get killed just like Daniel Jones is right now on that team. Definitely a better QB but they have much bigger problems.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I think guys like Josh Rosen show teams are willing to cut/trade 1st round QBs if they get a chance at drafting a QB they like better especially if they're bringing in a new coaching staff and front office. Granted Rosen has looked pretty bad in his small amount of opportunities and he was drafted slightly lower but he was still a pretty high 1st round pick.

But yeah, it'd be peak Giants/Jets for them to pass on a guy like Trevor Lawrence because they already sunk a high cost into inferior QBs like Jones and Darnold.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Andrew Luck was more of a given to go 1OV in the draft he was in than Peyton Manning was.

Peyton would have been #1 with roller skates in '97, there was no other QB to contend with him at the top of the draft the way there was in '98 when you had Leaf with all the 'measurables'. Problem was Parcells skirted around whether he'd have taken him (he would have, but didn't want to run afoul of the NFL even more after the contract snafu in NE so he was purposefully vague to the Mannings) so that influenced the decision to stay in school

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think guys like Josh Rosen show teams are willing to cut/trade 1st round QBs if they get a chance at drafting a QB they like better especially if they're bringing in a new coaching staff and front office. Granted Rosen has looked pretty bad in his small amount of opportunities and he was drafted slightly lower but he was still a pretty high 1st round pick.

But yeah, it'd be peak Giants/Jets for them to pass on a guy like Trevor Lawrence because they already sunk a high cost into inferior QBs like Jones and Darnold.
The change in coach and scheme was a bigger factor

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Peyton would have been #1 with roller skates in '97, there was no other QB to contend with him at the top of the draft the way there was in '98 when you had Leaf with all the 'measurables'. Problem was Parcells skirted around whether he'd have taken him (he would have, but didn't want to run afoul of the NFL even more after the contract snafu in NE so he was purposefully vague to the Mannings) so that influenced the decision to stay in school
Like Peyton Luck would have been the first pick if he come out after year 3 out of HS. Peyton could have been a Jet while Luck could have been a Panther.

It’s the Jets in the lead then followed by 6 single win teams in Giants, Falcons, Vikings, chargers, Washington and Dolphins via the Texans.

of this group of 1 win teams I’d say Washington, Giants and Falcons will be in the mix.

then you ask whether their current QB is good enough or whether they would trade their guy in for Fields or Lance.

falcons should given Ryans’s age. I suspect Washington would dump Haskins. Vikings would move Cousins. Giants may be better off trade the pick for extra draft capital. Don’t think the Texans were be in the bottom 5 where the QBs would go to give the Fish a legit shot to move up.

but if Tua doesn’t see the field then maybe they move up with say the Giants and flip Tua to say NO or something.

member 157595

Bengals would trade the pick for a king's ransom, I think.

They are still 1 and 1/2 games ahead of the Jets. A massive gap with how putrid and poorly coached NYJ is. Jets schedule is absolutely brutal too. The Bengals don't play the Jets for those wondering.

Bengals trade the hypothetical pick 100%. Burrow isn't the reason they suck, it's a pitiful offensive line, depleted defense and lack of elite playmakers. But they're a playoff contender compared to the Jets.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bengals trade the hypothetical pick 100%. Burrow isn't the reason they suck, it's a pitiful offensive line, depleted defense and lack of elite playmakers. But they're a playoff contender compared to the Jets.
I can’t see the jets winning 2 games to pass the bengals and don’t see Cincy losing all of their remaining games either.

but if Cincy is in position to draft Fields or Lance they should move the pick for extra picks or picks and an OL upgrade.

Sep 19, 2008
Even at 1-5, Washington's Trevor Lawrence hopes remain slim

But, unfortunately for Washington, it currently is one of several teams firmly in the mix for the No.1 pick. Through six weeks of the NFL season, there are an incredible 10 teams that have one win or fewer.
And of those 10 clubs, a good fraction of them will likely be in the quarterback market should their seasons continue on the trajectory they're on. Besides Washington, the Jets, Giants, Jaguars, and maybe even the Falcons or Vikings, could all be looking to select a signal-caller in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Redskins landing Lawrence and then coming out with a new nickname would be great for them after the year they've had.

However the Jets look to be to ones who land him, hopefully it gives them a chance to reboot again and get rid of Gase.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For the teams that traded up to get a QB like the Rams, Eagles, Bills, Jets, Washington into the top few picks of the draft has it worked out given the package needed? It worked out for KC and Houston who both gave up an additional first rounder (but for Houston Watson got hurt and their pick was like fourth overall).

buffalo made several moves that season including guys like Darby, Woods, Glenn to acquire extra picks and move up in the draft to secure Allen.

Lawrence would cost an insane package of draft picks and a roster player on a rookie deal IMO.

would you as the acquiring team have enough to surround him on his rookie deal before you had to pay him top 3 QB money? Draft picks you hope equal cheap starters.

member 157595

I can’t see the jets winning 2 games to pass the bengals and don’t see Cincy losing all of their remaining games either.

I'll guess that the Bengals go 3-12-1 this year. They are a more competitive team than last year but they have a long, long way to go.

There's no realistic path for the Jets to win more than 1 game, if any. If they keep Gase all year, I think they go 0-16. They aren't bad, they are generational bad.

but if Cincy is in position to draft Fields or Lance they should move the pick for extra picks or picks and an OL upgrade.

If I'm the Bengals and I end up with the #2 or #3 pick and Pernei(sp?) Sewell is available, I don't trade the pick for anything less than a king's ransom. The OL must be the top priority for this team, full stop.

If Sewell isn't available, Ja'Marr Chase is also a great add if Green doesn't re-sign (which he likely won't) but OL is more important than WR. I believe in building QB/OL/DL in that order, so if they end up with Chase in the draft they need to actually spend money and improve that OL dramatically through trades and/or FA. Actually, they should do that even if they DO get Sewell, to be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad