Confirmed with Link: Jagrwatch over - traded to Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Florida's fanbase isn't rock solid. perhaps its an effort to make the playoffs and stabilize it a bit. Young guys they have could learn a ton from him too...
Good point. A playoff berth *right now* might mean more to the Panthers than other teams.

Of course there's an interesting debate about which forces in South Florida actually *want* the team to stay and which ones are working to break the lease to move the club to Quebec... but I digress.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
That's all right for those who wanted Jagr back can hope next year when he is a spry 44 year old.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't understand why some people are questioning why Florida made this deal.

They're just outside the playoffs, well within striking distance. They have 2 metric tons of youth, so it's not like they need all of their draft picks. Jagr is the veteran leader at the deadline teams with youthful cores always bring in. Plus he can play on the top 2 lines and can still score.

From everything I've heard about Jags since he came back from the KHL is how he sets an awesome example for the younger players. This sounds like a very good player for Florida to bring in to make their push.

Florida's number one (and arguably only, unless you want to talk about the backup goaltender) problem is that they can't score. More specifically, their powerplay is goddamned awful.

This is an excellent pickup for them and he fits the team philosophy of being overwhelmingly strong at most positions.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm glad the Penguins didn't pay that for him. Even if they could.

But it always amuses me how smug Penguins fans are re: Jagr. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he still has something left for Florida. I will also say that if the Penguins meet the Panthers in the post season, somehow... it could be a lot like '96 all over again. Except this time with Jagr on the other team.

I think it's a good move, overall, for the Panthers. But then, I never let all of Jagr's half-invented "transgressions" against the Penguins blind me to the fact that he's still a pretty damned good hockey player, even at his advanced age.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
He must owe Madden money for Madden to be wanting him here so badly. Nothing against him but he just is not the player that will hold up on Malkins wing. He just about died in Philly with a modest workload. He is down to some 7 minutes in Jersey.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
He must owe Madden money for Madden to be wanting him here so badly. Nothing against him but he just is not the player that will hold up on Malkins wing. He just about died in Philly with a modest workload. He is down to some 7 minutes in Jersey.

I see this being more of marketing move than anything else. Another way to fill some seats.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
He believes he was being treated unfairly with his ice time since the coaching change.

Last edited:

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
He seems to believe he was being treated unfairly with his ice time since the coaching change.

If we were so willing to believe that Kovalev was treated unfairly by Bylsma as a coach, why is it so hard to believe that Jagr could be by Oates? They played on the same team. Kovalev and Jagr are both the better players.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If we were so willing to believe that Kovalev was treated unfairly by Bylsma as a coach, why is it so hard to believe that Jagr could be by Oates? They played on the same team. Kovalev and Jagr are both the better players.
I'm not saying he was lying or wrong, just talking about what he said. I didn't need the 'seems' in the sentence, I suppose.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's really not bad for Florida. Already have a ton of youth so a 2nd and 3rd is nothing to them and...
Erik Cole isn't gonna put butts in the seats there and he CAN help their PP.

member 51464

Maybe Florida will lay an egg in their games before the deadline and we can trade for Jagr at the last minute for a discount ;)

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
if Jagr helps the Panthers make the playoffs over both the Bruins and Flyers I'd laugh and love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad