Jaden Schwartz’s next contact

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
I personally don't believe Schwartz is good enough right now to be a core player.

I made a mistake.

He reminds me of someone like Patrick Sharp, you don't build the team around him, but he is very helpful when he gets going when paired well with other forwards. I mean that cup run year he was abysmal and then finally everything clicked when his linemates started getting him the puck in the playoffs.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I’d be fine bringing Schwartz back, but at a number and term that I am sure Schwartz and his representation would scoff at. If it’s signing him for 5+ years or letting him walk I hope they choose to let him go.

As long as Army isn't doing some knee-jerk reactions, he should handle Jaden fine.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I’d be fine bringing Schwartz back, but at a number and term that I am sure Schwartz and his representation would scoff at. If it’s signing him for 5+ years or letting him walk I hope they choose to let him go.
I think it was Lou Korac who made the point in a tweet in saying that Schwartz at his age, after winning the Cup will likely be looking for is home run deal in terms of the dollar amount. And although he didn't have a great year, looking at his stats overall it is likely an anomaly.

kagei

Apr 14, 2014
STL
I hope Schwartz is having conversations with Perron about signing a contract with the Blues

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I think it was Lou Korac who made the point in a tweet in saying that Schwartz at his age, after winning the Cup will likely be looking for is home run deal in terms of the dollar amount. And although he didn't have a great year, looking at his stats overall it is likely an anomaly.
I think that Strickland is right. And while I think Schwartz can still be a useful player, I have little desire to see the Blues hand Schwartz a "home run" deal, especially given the money/term already tied up in Faulk/Krug/Schenn. Like I said, I would be totally fine bringing Schwartz back but not at what he will (rightfully) be looking for.

Reactions: mk80 and Meatball

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I have little faith that he can bounce back next year, but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back in a lesser role perhaps.

He wants to get paid like a top six player, and those days are gone, I'm afraid.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
toodaloo jaden

not worth the money a likely losing team will overpay him for

REZERO

Mar 19, 2019
I’d like to see Schwartz resign at 5-6 for 4 years and we let Bozak go. We have about 2 years after this left as contenders and I’d like to see him both on that contending team and part of the core that we can trade for prospects/use to build up younger guys like Kostin after those 2 years.

The problem I have with that logic is the Bozak even at his age was equally as productive, won face offs, and costs much less than what Schwatrz will demand. I would not go higher than $5M/4yrs as that would be the ceiling.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
5x5 is the max I’d go and Im a little reluctant for that
No way AAV is going to be that low. Schwartz will ask Schenn money if not he will walk.

Change of scenery could be right move from Schwartz's point of view.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I'm thinking Toronto.

No cap room. They will have to move players out to bring him in. Edmonton may throw a lot at him, but not sure he would want to go there.

I would bring him back at 5 per for 5, but not much beyond that. He has a bit of a Backes feeling to him, but he is younger then Backes at UFA so.

How many years until Little Walt is a UFA?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm honestly not sure I'd even go up to 5. Were the injuries more impactful on his production, or losing his dad? And even if he bounces back, his decline will be sooner than most based on his injury history and style of play. If you get him on a good deal, and can transition him to a bit of a lesser role, maybe that will help him be more effective in those minutes.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
You guys happy with Krug 6.5mill.$?

And banking on Bluenote who was impact player in Cup run and always play best games at playoffs.

You keep Schwartz and trade the f*** away plugs like Krug 6.5mill.$ and Scandella 3.275mill. $ =9.275mill.$

Think of that

giphy.gif

Imagine keeping Faulk, but Krug + Scandella out you have 9.275mill.$ money to spend for real player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
You guys happy with Krug 6.5mill.$?

And banking on Bluenote who was impact player in Cup run and always play best games at playoffs.

You keep Schwartz and trade the f*** away plugs like Krug 6.5mill.$ and Scandella 3.275mill. $ =9.275mill.$

Think of that

giphy.gif

Imagine keeping Faulk, but Krug + Scandella out you have 9.275mill.$ money to spend for real player.

You're not being realistic about Schwartz and the over the top hate for Krug isn't warranted.

Schwartz's impact on the game is in decline. He's really suited more for a 3rd line role now and he's probably looking for a contract more in line with top 6 players. He had his worst year during a contract year and he'll turn 29 on June 25th. Was last year an anomaly? Will he bounce back to previous year's performances? These are questions that have to be asked and somewhat guessed on by management. Personally my ceiling for Schwartz might be 4.5 million per year. Another thing not helping Schwartz is the Covid flat cap. I doubt he wants a 2-3 year deal betting on himself after that time to get even a bigger deal.

You really have to just abort the Faulk hate. He was great this year. I don't expect him to be this good for the duration of his contract but the same could have been said about Pietrangelo if he'd signed here for 7-8 years.

You have to accept Krug for what he is. He's not Parayko. He's not going to become a shutdown D. He's an offensive D and has been one of the best in the league at it. From the 2016-17 season through this 20-21 season he is 5th in scoring among all D during the regular season. That's why he got a contract for 6.5 million per season. He puts up points. You may not like it, but when a player is in the top 5 in scoring among all his peers GM's are going to overlook other weaknesses in their game. Every player isn't the same. They each have strengths and weaknesses so you have to stop looking at Krug through a lens expecting him to be something he's not.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
You really have to just abort the Faulk hate. He was great this year. I don't expect him to be this good for the duration of his contract but the same could have been said about Pietrangelo if he'd signed here for 7-8 years.
First 14 games:
5-3-8, +14 (0.57 PPG)

Last 29 games:
1-7-8, -6 (0.27 PPG)

Pacing for 21 points, and leading the team in ice time/game. A definite improvement over last season, but still a problem-contract that should be dumped at it's soonest opportunity. Playing big minutes is admirable and I can see why the coach loves him; but MY GOD, how low has the bar been set if Blues fans and management are hopeful that the current level of play is what will be delivered over the remaining SIX seasons?

It's becoming pretty clear that the hot start was an aberration, and that the last 2/3rds of the season-to-date or more indicative of his ability than the opening third. I guess for what he is though, a veteran 2nd-pairing defenseman, the Blues could be doing worse. But the concern is when he inevitably becomes a veteran 3rd-pairing defenseman making that kind of jack, which I suspect will happen in the next two or three season. Before that happens though, I hope Army is able to offer Ron Francis something compelling enough to have him take him (or Krug) off of our hands.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Your biggest beef with Faulk is his point production? Do you watch him play defense? It just feels like you are grasping at straws.

He is. Or trolling. Can’t always tell.

My biggest issue with the Faulk is terrible crowd is they won’t accept his last season where he was very very good. Where fans can’t admit to that then you can’t really have a logical conversation.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Krug sucks.
Faulk was Okay.
Team did what everyone figured they would do.
We got a Cup, so yay.

Over on the Habs board on the bandwagon since the start of the Toronto Turnaround, hell of a ride so far.

Ranksu - Don’t matter what you say, too many turn to Lemmings anyway lol.

Y’all enjoy your summers!

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
I would probably go ahead and let Jaden walk if the number is what I think it is gonna end up being. Then again, I trust Army so whatever he decides to do I will support.

Reactions: Blueston

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Jaden can get someone to pay 6 mil X 5 yrs (or more) in free agency. That pretty much spells out that if he's looking to score his retirement contract he's gone. We simply don't have the money to pay him that and stay competitive if we pay what he's most certainly going to be looking for. I personally don't think he's worth that at this point. His consistency has been that he's inconsistent. Between his inconsistency and his tendency to be injury prone I'd just as soon let him walk unless he's just in love with St. Louis and would take a Perron type deal. He's been one of my favorite Blues. I even bought an away jersey his first year here. I appreciate what he's contributed over the years, but he's no longer in his prime and I am thankful for the fact that we have a GM that can make the tough decisions without getting too emotionally attached. I hated to see Backes go, but DA absolutely made the right decision. Unfortunately, this is a business and the players sometimes price themselves out of their current team with their contract demands. I don't blame them at all for doing so, both sides are just doing what they can to protect their own interests.

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
Does the RNH contract of 8 x 5.125 contract help set the bar for what to expect for the Schwartz contract at all?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00