Jaden Schwartz’s next contact

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
My point is that the same leadership supervises both efforts. The head scouts answer to the same person. It’s not like the each have to invent their own wheel. It makes no sense to think that they use no common tools and techniques.

Bill Armstrong is gone. Tony Feltrin has been the head of amateur scouting for almost a year now. Was there much other turn-over when Bill went to Arizona? Did he take his staff with him? If not, I don’t expect a sudden drop off. Time will tell on that.

It has been fashionable on this forum to venerate the amateur scouting and complain about the pro scouting, but I don’t see much to distinguish them one from the other in terms of effectiveness over the past 5+ years. If not for some favorable trades using Blues prospects as currency, we’d probably view amateur scouting more negatively.
I had not heard about Bill taking guys with him. So, I would imagine most of the scouting staff is the same on the amateur side of things. But even if the staff is mostly the same, there is no guarantee that the talent evaluation priorities would be the same. When we transitioned from Jarmo to Bill, there seemed to be a shift in emphasis from tenacious and smart to size and skill (although not necessarily requiring both to be found in the same player). It’s unclear what the difference will be between Bill and Tony (assuming he stays in that role). It will be interesting to see how our drafts look with him at the helm.

I think there are quite a few around here that have questioned Bill and some of his more recent selections. And, yes, I think trading off the guys not working out helped make him look better. He was still good in comparison to other scouting directors, although he certainly had room for improvement.

Reactions: Thallis and Brian39

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Would keep him in a heartbeat as long as it isn't for more than 4 years at no more than 5 mil. He's at the age where he'll be looking for long term though. I'm a huge fan of his, but I'm not convinced he'll be the kind of player who can make it into his mid thirties and still be effective with the style he plays.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Love Schwartz and feel he is a “must re-sign” especially if Tarasenko get traded (even if he doesn’t). Crazy he just turned 29, time flys!

You would think he would return similar to Scheen but Scheen was around 2 years younger at the time he signed? So I’d do 4-5 years somewhere in the low 5M range

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Would keep him in a heartbeat as long as it isn't for more than 4 years at no more than 5 mil. He's at the age where he'll be looking for long term though. I'm a huge fan of his, but I'm not convinced he'll be the kind of player who can make it into his mid thirties and still be effective with the style he plays.
If Armstrong makes him a 4 year offer, he'd probably be wise to test UFA waters and maybe circle back if he doesn't get long term that he likes. Will the Blues fans start to melt down if he lets him walk like that? Its totally an Armstrong type of play.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If Armstrong makes him a 4 year offer, he'd probably be wise to test UFA waters and maybe circle back if he doesn't get long term that he likes. Will the Blues fans start to melt down if he lets him walk like that? Its totally an Armstrong type of play.

Fan reaction should depend on the circumstances. What is the contract he eventually signs? What do we do with the cap savings? What rumors swirl about how Armstrong screwed up the negotiations? Some fans will get mad regardless, some fans have their mouths so firmly planted on Armstrong's rear-end that they won't even notice. The rest of the fans it will depend.

In my opinion, there are a variety of situations where letting Schwartz walk is the right move. Schwartz is not as much of a no-brainer re-signing as the guy we let walk last off-season. Now I reserve the right to complain if he signs elsewhere for a reasonable contract. However, what will upset me the most if Schwartz walks is that we didn't trade him before he could. We should have known whether he was going to walk months ago. If so, we should have traded him and others at the deadline. Everyone and their grandmother could predict how the Blues season ended. We gained nothing by staying pat at the deadline. Anybody we didn't feel we could re-sign should have been traded.

Last edited:
Reactions: fcpremix88

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Fan reaction should depend on the circumstances. What is the contract he eventually signs? What do we do with the cap savings? What rumors swirl about how Armstrong screwed up the negotiations? Some fans will get mad regardless, some fans have their mouths so firmly planted on Armstrong's rear-end that they won't even notice. The rest of the fans it will depend.

In my opinion, there are a variety of situations where letting Schwartz walk is the right move. Schwartz is not as much of a no-brainer re-signing as the guy we let walk last off-season. Now I reserve the right to complain if he signs elsewhere for a reasonable contract. However, what will upset me the most if Schwartz walks is that we didn't trade him before he could. We should no whether he was going to walk months ago. If so, we should have traded him and others at the deadline. Everyone and their grandmother could predict how the Blues season ended. We gained nothing by staying pat at the deadline. Anybody we didn't feel we could re-sign should have been traded.
“Let walk” denotes to me a situation like Maroon where no serious effort to sign the player is made. That’s not remotely true of Pietro last year.

I agree it would have been better to sell at the deadline, but it was a tough call and I understand why they didn’t. Add Perron and have a guy like Makar knocked out instead of Faulk, maybe the result looks a bit different. It was reasonable to think they could make it a competitive series. And if they could beat Colorado, they could beat any given team.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

In my opinion, there are a variety of situations where letting Schwartz walk is the right move. Schwartz is not as much of a no-brainer re-signing as the guy we let walk last off-season. Now I reserve the right to complain if he signs elsewhere for a reasonable contract. However, what will upset me the most if Schwartz walks is that we didn't trade him before he could. We should no whether he was going to walk months ago. If so, we should have traded him and others at the deadline. Everyone and their grandmother could predict how the Blues season ended. We gained nothing by staying pat at the deadline. Anybody we didn't feel we could re-sign should have been traded.

We got Playoff revenue. This is a business, and if we don't bring in any big $$ players with the cap savings, I would totally understand. Been a tough year for businesses. I don't think in October, people would be able to predict what type of ticket sales would be generated in February, March, April, and May.

I will say the Army historically has traded UFAs (Stas comes to mind), but we don't know what pressures he was under or financial constraints.

Honestly, prior to this season, Schwartz was a no brainer to resign. Now, with his father passing and him having his worst season - I am not so sure. He may want to move on just for a refresh. Or he may want to stay with his lockerroom family.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
giphy_s.gif

But, yeah, you got the "broken record" part right anyway...

Great, now I have Jeff Goldblum's voice stuck in my head...

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I’ve had the feeling that the Blues and Schwartz have already agreed on a extension but are waiting until after the expansion draft so they won’t have to protect him.

Unless I’m missing a rule that newly signed players don’t need to be protected? It seems like there have been little to no pending UFA contract extensions around the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad