Jaden Schwartz’s next contact

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Schwartz is ranked 207th in P/GP with .52. He has 4 goals in 27 games with 2 coming in the same game. He has 1 power play point. That’s not a typo.

He’s probably asking for a Schenn type deal and if the Blues agree to anything close to that kind of money it’ll be a boat anchor before the ink dries.

I’d be ok with 3.5 to 4 million per season.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Schwartz is ranked 207th in P/GP with .52. He has 4 goals in 27 games with 2 coming in the same game. He has 1 power play point. That’s not a typo.

He’s probably asking for a Schenn type deal and if the Blues agree to anything close to that kind of money it’ll be a boat anchor before the ink dries.

You'll be OK with watching him walk off and go to some other team, then.

3.5-4 million ... you're kidding, right?

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

I would also be ok with that but I also know that he will get bare minimum 5.5M.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Schwartz is a corsi god and is usually putting up points well within his career averages, but this year he is on pace for his second lowest point totals. He used to be a pretty dynamic scorer, but has fallen off goal wise (don't know if this is a Mike Green kinda thing or a bum wrist or what) so I'm not sure how that's going to affect his next contract. He's also for sure injured each season which is something he and Armstrong are going to have to factor in despite the fact that Schwartz is an effective player when he's healthy. If I had to guess, if he stays it'll be on like a 6 mil per year deal, but idk if it'll be much more than that.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Reminder of what this forum said after Schenn got extended. Summary: AAV is fantastic, better than expected. We may regret term, but great to see us going all-in for the next 3-5 years.

Yes, Schwartz is "only" 4-10-14 this season. If we're just staring at raw stats, fine - Schwartz is a what ... lower 2nd-tier, high-3rd tier guy according to some? All that time missed, all that underachieving, and he's still outscoring forum favorite Sammy Blais who's hitting on his shots 3x as often as Schwartz is right now and semi-regularly gets lobbed on the Perron-ROR line to ... be a spectator, grind away, very occasionally get involved in an offensive chance - mostly by accident. If you watch Schwartz on the ice on a nightly basis, you see a guy whose presence on the ice doesn't show up on the score sheet. He plays smart, rarely takes a penalty. He's willing to play defense, and his defensive game is if anything underrated. The last few years should have taught everyone that this team is completely different with Schwartz is playing vs. when he's not, and when he's not we're a huge step down.

You may not like the comparison, but Schenn set the mark for where Schwartz is going to want to land - especially after Schenn got paid for being here 2 years. Schwartz has been here his entire career, and got dragged on his first contract off being RFA. If people think that's off, you might want to start coming up with a convincing list of reasons why Schwartz should take less and other teams won't give him Schenn-type money either, and start mailing them to Enterprise Center and see if you can sway him.

You want to lob $4-5 million at that and point to his stat line and say "you're not worth any more than that?" The rest of the league will jump at the chance to snap him up. For the money we could use to re-sign Schwartz, we're going to replace him with ... what, some 31+ guy who's likely not coming here in the first place? RNH? Zach Hyman? Brandon Saad? (For the love of God, do not suggest Taylor Hall. He's not signing here for $5 million or so. Not when someone else will lob signing bonus money and likely some form of NMC at him - things he won't get here.)

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Yeah I cannot imagine Schwartz taking a dime less than Schenn and I can't really blame him. If you want to point at a flat cap, his injuries, etc. I think that is all fair and valid. And I think Schwartz's response would be a polite "you can take a flat cap and shove it" and go out on the open market and get what Schenn got + more. My preference would be to pay Schwartz higher AAV for less years, but that runs directly counter to Armstrong's strategy of paying guys until they're 35 to keep AAV down. At a certain point we have to stop paying guys $6+ million until their late 30's but I don't know that Schwartz is the guy to let walk, but that is probably a whole separate discussion.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
This man basically carried the team out of the Winnipeg series, led the team in goals, 2nd in points, and was tied for 1st in +/- in the cup run. He deserves at least Schenn money lol

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
This man basically carried the team out of the Winnipeg series, led the team in goals, 2nd in points, and was tied for 1st in +/- in the cup run. He deserves at least Schenn money lol
he didnt carry them vs WPG, he was a ghost for the first 4 games of that series. It was only during Game 5 onwards that he turned it on.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Pre-covid, I figured he’d get an identical contract to Schenn. Now, I’m not sure where his contract ends up. I think he probably gets under $6mil AAV assuming max term

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
6.5mill.-7.5mill.$ x 6-8 years.

And Army will squeeze on Schwartz balls few years of contract and mod-NTC rest of contract.

I think Schwartz will walk away in Canadian team or he will end up to Florida.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
6.5 mil X 4 years. I'd take 6 mil X 5 years if he wants longer term, but the term is what really worries me with him. He's injury prone and he's about to hit his 30's. The very things that have allowed him to thrive being a smaller forward are going to start to become a boat anchor. There's no way I give him anything over 5 years.

Reactions: simon IC

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
people who think hes worth more than schenn are forgetting hes made of glass and usually misses half the season every year and the other half is hit or miss whether he performs or not.

personally i think 6 is too much and I think anything over 5 is pushing it.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I am less concerned with the AAV than the term. I have no issue with Jaden Schwartz at 5-6m, I just would prefer a 3 yr deal. I would go 5 max.

6m/5 sounds about what it will take, and I'd be ok with that

he'll ask for 7 or 6 yrs I would guess, but that's called 'wiggle room'

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
There’s pros and cons you have to weigh. I pointed out some stats that are definitely in the negative column. That doesn’t mean his stats are the only thing which defines him as a player. They also can’t be dismissed as a form of valuation.

Schwartz will be 30 years old when he signs. It’s extremely likely his best hockey is behind him. He’s definitely having a bad year which is worse because it’s a contract year. Over the last 3 years (this year included) he’s a .64 p/gp player. If he could play 82 games his total would be 52 points. He never does play 82 games.

These are his numbers before hitting 30. He’s not going to improve over the next 3-4 years let alone 6-7 years. Taking into account all the intangibles I can’t justify anything close to 6 million per season.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad