Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
giphy.gif
Brent Burns is horrendous defensively. The guy has a Norris.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Brent Burns is horrendous defensively. The guy has a Norris.

Burns has nothing to do with this discussion.

You just went from saying Trouba sucks defensively to Nobody is saying Trouba’s bad defensively.

I’m not entirely sure what point you’re trying to prove here.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

You just went from saying Trouba sucks defensively to Nobody is saying Trouba’s bad defensively.

I said he's not a bad defenseman.

I think you're just looking for an argument.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

The point is there are good defenseman that aren't good at defending. They make up with it in other aspects, according to the stats Machinehead is referencing Trouba is one of those players

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
His team giving up a considerable amount more goals when he's on the ice makes him kinda bad defensively. He gets away with it because of his physicality.

He's outstanding offensively and is a net positive player. I don't think anything I've said is outlandish. Trouba has never had the reputation of being a shutdown player or an all-situations bonafide #1.

Do you have a stat that breaks that down into winger/center responsibility to cover for him? (serious question)

Smart Head Coaches use their star players attributes to an advantage when coming up with a team/line core strategy.

Say if Trouba was on the ice a higher percentage of shifts through a season, as an RD, with Laine as a RW who has built himself a reputation as being a poor 3 zone player, that could affect Trouba's metrics, but doesn't necessarily make him a worse defenceman than the random 10 guys ahead of him league-wide in the numbers column, just because his coach isn't bright enough to send him out there with a defensively responsible winger/centerman and allow Trouba to do what he does best. (That statement is not advocating letting Trouba run wild himself.)

There are three types of coaches. Those who harness their thoroughbreds, those who shove square pegs into round holes, then there are those who can manage both on the fly.
Either Trouba plays "his" game, within reason of course, and gets help from Forwards, or he gets neutered and HFB complains he's not billed as advertised and is an overpaid bum.

Time will tell which way he is utilized.

Reactions: egelband

TheFuture06

Sep 14, 2019
I am a Jets fan and I will say you are getting a good D in Trouba but a good team guy not so much.

TheFuture06

Sep 14, 2019
Can you elaborate? Do you mean just because of the difficult contract negotiations or was he disliked in the lockerroom and not a nice guy?
This is just what I heard but he is somewhat of a selfish type of player. I guess not a great team player. I didn't hear that he was disliked in the locker room or anything like that.

TheFuture06

Sep 14, 2019
Is that because he didnt want to play for your team?
That could be so but there are many players that I think don't want to play for the team they are on and they don't take it to the ice. The bottom line is they sign the contract so they should go out and perform the best they can in my opinion and many people in our area didn't think he did that. I mean he still was a decent D player from the hype that comes with him he is surely not all that.

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010
That could be so but there are many players that I think don't want to play for the team they are on and they don't take it to the ice. The bottom line is they sign the contract so they should go out and perform the best they can in my opinion and many people in our area didn't think he did that. I mean he still was a decent D player from the hype that comes with him he is surely not all that.

So you are saying that Trouba didn’t play hard for the six years he was in Winnipeg?

TheFuture06

Sep 14, 2019
So you are saying that Trouba didn’t play hard for the six years he was in Winnipeg?
No of course not. What I am saying is Trouba came with a ton of hype behind him and he played like a selfish player that was more of a ME kind of player then a TEAM type of player. I think it is more playing up to his potential. All I am saying is be ready for the Rangers fan base to get quickly frustrated with him.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No of course not. What I am saying is Trouba came with a ton of hype behind him and he played like a selfish player that was more of a ME kind of player then a TEAM type of player. I think it is more playing up to his potential. All I am saying is be ready for the Rangers fan base to get quickly frustrated with him.
Thank you for your concern. I think we will be fine.

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010

Once again, how was he a ME player? If he gave maximum effort to the Jets for six years, he did his job. What potential are you taking about that he didn’t play up to?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
P
... he played like a selfish player that was more of a ME kind of player then a TEAM type ...

I dont recall that said about his play. He did get bad press for admitting it frustrated him playing behind both Buff and Myers after he had proven himself at NHL level

TheFuture06

Sep 14, 2019
Once again, how was he a ME player? If he gave maximum effort to the Jets for six years, he did his job. What potential are you taking about that he didn’t play up to?
Every player is expected to give their max effort every time they lace them up. I am not disputing that because there is no way I or anyone can really say he didn't. I think it is more the amount of hype that comes along with him. Sure last year he hit a 50 point season for the first time in his career and he could be ready to soar. I sure hope that happens for him. Like I said in my original post he is a very good D and it just may have taken him some years to hit his stride and his injury bugs will stay away.

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010
Every player is expected to give their max effort every time they lace them up. I am not disputing that because there is no way I or anyone can really say he didn't. I think it is more the amount of hype that comes along with him. Sure last year he hit a 50 point season for the first time in his career and he could be ready to soar. I sure hope that happens for him. Like I said in my original post he is a very good D and it just may have taken him some years to hit his stride and his injury bugs will stay away.

Do your heels hurt from all the back peddling?

You started out saying he was a good D, but not a team guy. Then you went to potential, then hype and finally injuries. To this point, you still haven’t supported how he isn’t a team guy.

He hit 50 last year because he had opportunity. The opportunity that he was looking for after his ELC. I’ll take players that want to push themselves to be the best they can be, over guys that just accept a role to be in the league, every day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad