Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
My impression is that on a well-built team Trouba (right now) is a 1B or 2A guy. So I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm given he's probably the Rangers best defenseman. He's 25 though and definitely has room to grow into a true 1A talent. Great pick up for an organization that's 2-3 years away from the window being wide open.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
My impression is that on a well-built team Trouba (right now) is a 1B or 2A guy. So I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm given he's probably the Rangers best defenseman. He's 25 though and definitely has room to grow into a true 1A talent. Great pick up for an organization that's 2-3 years away from the window being wide open.

And that's ultimately how I feel.

I do have some concerns about Trouba, and the expectations that will be placed upon him. Some of the latter are magnified by tendencies of fans to get too high during a good stretch, and too down during a bad stretch. But I can't complain about the price we paid for him, which goes a long way toward tempering some concerns.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Picturing again that perfectly place wobbly bomb from the point, off the cross bar and in. *Pinnngggggggg*.....*CROWD ROARS*

Don't ask me to stand up.
Gotta love those goals. Even better when Doc calls them. “Passes to Trouba ... the shot ... <ping> SCAAAAWWWRRR!”

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
And that's ultimately how I feel.

I do have some concerns about Trouba, and the expectations that will be placed upon him. Some of the latter are magnified by tendencies of fans to get too high during a good stretch, and too down during a bad stretch. But I can't complain about the price we paid for him, which goes a long way toward tempering some concerns.

I think Trouba might be the one player that I have a divergent view from you on. I just see him as the type of Dman this team hasn't really ever had, from my recollection.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Trouba might be the one player that I have a divergent view from you on. I just see him as the type of Dman this team hasn't really ever had, from my recollection.

And I do agree that he's a valuable player. The divergence ultimately comes down to how valuable.

I've often used the Camry vs. Cadillac line when describing how I feel about Trouba, compared to others who might see him as a bit more.

A Camry is a damn good car that you can have for a long time. But you wouldn't want to pay a Cadillac price for it, nor would you really consider it a fair comparison.

With Trouba, I've always felt that there's an expectation on here that he's a Cadillac, and I've never really felt that way. I think he can be a high-end Camry, but I'm not quite sold on him being quite on the same level that others might suggest. I still worry about that to an extent. I think he's the guy who pairs with your top guy, or slides onto the next line if he's a RHD, but he isn't necessarily the guy.

However, for the price we paid, I have no qualms. My concerns were magnified a bit when ideas about a much higher retail price were debated on here. But for the 20th pick (which we owned for a couple of months) and Pionk? No complaints there.

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
LOL
What would Staal be?
upload_2019-10-5_16-27-15.jpeg

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I'm from the school of thought that we haven't seen the very best of Trouba yet. This is his D+8 year. That's the same year we all started to consider Mika a #1 center. Development doesn't stop at 21 or 22. He says there's another level for him to reach. I'm betting he gets there.
Getting out of a place he hated may also help him. It's not an excuse, but if you dislike your environment it's hard to be your best.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Early verdict is that I was very, very wrong on Trouba.

I knew he was a good player but two things that always concerned me were the cost to acquire him and the cost to retain him. So far I am beyond thrilled with this acquisition. If he can keep up this level of play, his contract will begin to look better and better.
It is very, very early. I had the same concerns, with the added fear of injury. But the extremely early returns have been great.

One thing that I have really liked about him on the point of PP1 is that he is not looking to overpass. He is looking to shoot and that is something that has been missing for quite a while.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
when the Rangers traded McDonagh I worried it would be a long time before we saw another defenseman as good as him in a Rangers uniform.

If Trouba keeps playing like he did against Ottawa then that time will be far shorter than I thought...

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
when the Rangers traded McDonagh I worried it would be a long time before we saw another defenseman as good as him in a Rangers uniform.

If Trouba keeps playing like he did against Ottawa then that time will be far shorter than I thought...
Meh a @Machinehead - @Killem Dafoe pairing could shut down the current Ottawa Senators and Killem is way past his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad