Value of: Jacob Trouba to DET

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i wonder what sort of deals with Edmonton were passed up. I don't think a Trouba to Detroit scenario is likely.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Wings fan here. Is there anything other than Larkin that Winnipeg fans would want? Could Tatar be the starter for a deal? What's his value? Would love to have him in DET.

As the Hall Larson deal shows defensemen are so hard to find that it took a proven top 5 wingers to get a a defensemen with potential of being a top 4 d-man

I am a Jets fan and I would say Larkin is not even a starting point. Larson and Trouba are not that far a part in value and Larkin is not at Hall's value.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
As the Hall Larson deal shows defensemen are so hard to find that it took a proven top 5 wingers to get a a defensemen with potential of being a top 4 d-man

I am a Jets fan and I would say Larkin is not even a starting point. Larson and Trouba are not that far a part in value and Larkin is not at Hall's value.

This Larsson Trouba thing is getting old. Larsson is better numbers wise and better in a eye test to any unbiased fan. Larsson is on a nice long term deal.

Trouba is not and is not close in value.

The overrating of him by Jets fans is out of control. Hopefully he holds out.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
This Larsson Trouba thing is getting old. Larsson is better numbers wise and better in a eye test to any unbiased fan. Larsson is on a nice long term deal.

Lulz. I promise you Larsson wasn't Chiarelli's first choice. One of the reasons that he'll be wearing copper and blue this year is that Trouba among other players couldn't be had for a similar price.

A good number of your fellow wings fans believe your team doesn't have the assets to acquire Trouba at all. Either things are really ugly in Detroit, or he's a little better than you're giving him credit for.

Considering how many Superstar X for Trouba threads get started here by non-Jet fans, I think I know which it is.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Lulz. I promise you Larsson wasn't Chiarelli's first choice. One of the reasons that he'll be wearing copper and blue this year is that Trouba among other players couldn't be had for a similar price.

A good number of your fellow wings fans believe your team doesn't have the assets to acquire Trouba at all. Either things are really ugly in Detroit, or he's a little better than you're giving him credit for.

Considering how many Superstar X for Trouba threads get started here by non-Jet fans, I think I know which it is.

I'm not a Wings fan or a Jets fan.

I'm sure Larsson wasn't his first choice but I'm also sure Trouba was lower down in his list, if he's on it at all.

If he traded Hall for Trouba Edmonton would rightly riot. He'd have to be a complete idiot.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

What numbers are these? From what I can see their numbers are near identical but Trouba has a slight edge in both P/60 and zone start adjusted shot metrics.

Same for the eye test? I like Larsson and I think he's a low end #1 D, and only a few W will return more than that. To my eye test, however, he doesn't skate well enough to be more than a low end #1D. Trouba plays with more risk in his game but is much more dynamic

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010
I'm not a Wings fan or a Jets fan.

I'm sure Larsson wasn't his first choice but I'm also sure Trouba was lower down in his list, if he's on it at all.

If he traded Hall for Trouba Edmonton would rightly riot. He'd have to be a complete idiot.

Do you think that Edmonton had others including, Shattenkirk, Barrie, or Trouba that were either RFA or on a short term contract that wouldn't commit to Edmonton long term. Therefore he had to find somebody with term to trade for and the necessary piece was Hall.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Yet his name seems to pop up on a trade thread every second day...seems pretty contradictory to your bold statement don't you think? obviously the masses from other teams disagree with you. I can certainly say Jets fans are not the one's proposing these offers.

So his name appearing on a message board by massive hockey fans but none of us are in any actual control of the NHL means he's not overrated?

While It's true, there are faults.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Alright. Trouba has been overrated for a long time now but to this degree that some people do in this thread? Astonishing!

Keep him :laugh:

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Alright. Trouba has been overrated for a long time now but to this degree that some people do in this thread? Astonishing!

Keep him :laugh:

Keeping him is the best plan. He's what we need. Trading him for anything fair value makes no sense given the make up of our team right now. Even if for whatever reason he refuses to sign here, our need would basically be replacing him with an equivalent D-man..

snake schneibler

May 4, 2016

The overrating of him by Jets fans is out of control. Hopefully he holds out.[/QUOTE]

Now, now, that's not a "Family Matters" like attitude

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
What numbers are these? From what I can see their numbers are near identical but Trouba has a slight edge in both P/60 and zone start adjusted shot metrics.

Same for the eye test? I like Larsson and I think he's a low end #1 D, and only a few W will return more than that. To my eye test, however, he doesn't skate well enough to be more than a low end #1D. Trouba plays with more risk in his game but is much more dynamic

Larsson played against the other teams top line every night, first pair. Trouba did not. I question whether Trouba is even a #1 at all when it is said and done. That is far from a sure thing.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Larsson played against the other teams top line every night, first pair. Trouba did not. I question whether Trouba is even a #1 at all when it is said and done. That is far from a sure thing.

The thing is, we have nothing else that's even close. After Trouba, the level of our U23 defensemen drops hard. We need Trouba very badly, which many fans of other teams don't seem to understand. And Trouba has had to carry Stuart and be in a team with Buff, which obviously limits his ice time.

I don't think I've seen a Winnipeg fan who wants to trade Trouba. 99,5% of the Trouba proposals are made by other teams' fans - and pretty much every single one of them is a lowball/a bunch of needless stuff. So call him overrated if you want, but it seems like Trouba is very hot commodity here...

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
The thing is, we have nothing else that's even close. After Trouba, the level of our U23 defensemen drops hard. We need Trouba very badly, which many fans of other teams don't seem to understand. And Trouba has had to carry Stuart and be in a team with Buff, which obviously limits his ice time.

I don't think I've seen a Winnipeg fan who wants to trade Trouba. 99,5% of the Trouba proposals are made by other teams' fans - and pretty much every single one of them is a lowball/a bunch of needless stuff. So call him overrated if you want, but it seems like Trouba is very hot commodity here...

Morrissey??? The guy is good.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Larsson averaged 22:30 a night last season, Trouba averaged 22:03. Trouba put up more points and had much better shot metrics. Trouba played with a far worse partner (Mark Staurt vs Andy Greene)

Larsson started a higher percentage of his shifts in the defensive but played with much better teammates. Both faced similar quality competition.

Trouba is a year and a half younger and is already at worst equal to Larsson. If anything Trouba is getting massively underrated on these boards. :laugh:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Larsson averaged 22:30 a night last season, Trouba averaged 22:03. Trouba put up more points and had much better shot metrics. Trouba played with a far worse partner (Mark Staurt vs Andy Greene)

Larsson started a higher percentage of his shifts in the defensive but played with much better teammates. Both faced similar quality competition.

Trouba is a year and a half younger and already better than Larsson. If anything Trouba is getting massively underrated on these boards. :laugh:

NO kidding how many guys this age play this kind of minutes with this kind of responsibility with as well rounded of a game. Not many. I also believe that his O numbers would be greater but coaching is holding that back they want more responsible play.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
With a grand total of what, two NHL games, I do not consider him to be anywhere near Trouba.

Well you were saying just that nobody is available but Morrissey can step up next season :) I'm expecting him to take a spot on the starting roster this year in fact :)

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I know you're the Buffalo guy who lives in Winnipeg and hates all things Jets, but I don't think you are really being as objective as you say about these two. Trouba has more offensive upside as Larsson and they're about the same defensively.

Goose312

May 15, 2015

Trouba is a year and a half younger and is already at worst equal to Larsson. If anything Trouba is getting massively underrated on these boards. :laugh:

Well minutes aside, Larsson faced the toughest competition on his team, Trouba was 4th. Of guys who played significant time this year Larsson faced about the 15th hardest competition in the league, Trouba about 65th. Trouba got fairly balanced starts, slightly favoring offensive starts, Larsson got literally the worst starts in the league. I would certainly hope Trouba had better shot metrics. It's also not like we are talking Trouba's offensive upside is Burns level. He might be a consistent 30 point guy, but given the same easy starts I don't doubt Larsson could be equal.

Also Trouba statistically digressed in 15-16 while Larsson at worst maintained.

I think Larsson is getting seriously **** on because of the Hall trade. He's by far the better player and I doubt that extra year is going to make Trouba the better player.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Well minutes aside, Larsson faced the toughest competition on his team, Trouba was 4th. Of guys who played significant time this year Larsson faced about the 15th hardest competition in the league, Trouba about 65th. Trouba got fairly balanced starts, slightly favoring offensive starts, Larsson got literally the worst starts in the league. I would certainly hope Trouba had better shot metrics. It's also not like we are talking Trouba's offensive upside is Burns level. He might be a consistent 30 point guy, but given the same easy starts I don't doubt Larsson could be equal.

Also Trouba statistically digressed in 15-16 while Larsson at worst maintained.

I think Larsson is getting seriously **** on because of the Hall trade. He's by far the better player and I doubt that extra year is going to make Trouba the better player.

I'm not really looking to challenge your conclusion or anything, but I think it's worth pointing out that Trouba was used as a tool to further shelter Stuart.

It's kinda hard to find that in the numbers, but it really is a unique situation.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

Trouba is better than Larsson numbers wise.

http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/

I don't think the Wings have what the Jets are looking for. Trouba is already a #2 defenseman. Assuming contract talks reach an impasse and the Jets are forced to trade him, I think he only ends up in Detroit if it is part of a 3-way deal that includes a D-man.

I could possibly see a deal in which the Jets trade for a lesser d-man than Trouba if:

1. the D-man is at least a proven top-4 D-men with at least 3 years left on his contract (obviously not a top-2 d-man like Trouba).
2. the Jets get a first round pick and/or a blue-chip prospect preferably also a D-man.

Reason being, is that a D-man the Jets would pick up in the trade will have already topped out as no more than #3 or #4 with no more room to grow whereas Trouba again has shown his ability to play on the top line and has plenty of room to grow. He has a very good chance to be an elite #2 D-man in the league or a reasonable chance of becoming a #1 d-man.

The gap between Trouba and this hypothetical #4 defenseman would have to be compensated in the form of a blue chipper and/or a #1 draft pick - if the Jets feel the pick would have a very good shot of being in the 10-15 range that may be enough, but if the team ultimately trading for Trouba is a Stanley Cup contender drafting in the bottom-10 a blue chipper may be required to solidify the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad