Jacob Trouba being 'Sheltered'?

Jaffray15

Mar 12, 2008
Winnipeg
www.nhl94.com
Has anyone else noticed this, especially this season. All his Ice-Time stats are down and is now playing the 3rd pairing with Stuart.

Late in his rookie year and early last season, he was playing on the Number 2 PP and Number 1 PK.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I don't think he's being sheltered. I believe the players ( other than one particular player in one particular position in the past ) get to play based upon their performances and the deserving of playing that position in the roster.

This may not be popular, but Trouba does concern me. Maybe the fancy stats won't back this up and maybe they will.. don't know. Just me and some people I've talked to, and based on the ol' eye test, seem to think that the best hockey we have seen Trouba play was his first year.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He is playing with the same partner and they usually are out first to begin the the PK. Nothing changed there. Only Buff and Myers are getting PP time with the 4 forward umbrella setup on both PP units

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I posted a few weeks back that it looked like Trouba's game had plateaued, of course everyone here scoffed at that. He is still young and he is shouldering the Stu anchor.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Stuart has looked pretty bad this year. Making it even harder for Trouba. And all defensemen's ice times are down compared to previous years.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I posted a few weeks back that it looked like Trouba's game had plateaued, of course everyone here scoffed at that. He is still young and he is shouldering the Stu anchor.

I agree.

He hasn't been the same since his friend Bogosian was traded.

I wonder if he has other issues affecting him like an injury or something in his personal life.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I agree.

He hasn't been the same since his friend Bogosian was traded.

I wonder if he has other issues affecting him like an injury or something in his personal life.

[mod]

I'm not willing to hang up on Trouba just yet given he continually has a boat anchor around his neck. I'd like to see him play half a season with Enstrom as his partner to really see what he can do, but we won't see that happen. Both Buff and Myers get a shot with Enstrom but not poor Jacob. Most unfortunate.

Stuart frustrates me no end but I'm largely ok with him in a more traditional role of 3rd pairing defenseman where he can do less damage. I'm not ok with his partner being Trouba, especially during what are largely developmental years. There are things that Stuart does well like blocking shots and leadership in the lockerroom that hopefully Jacob can model. But I cannot help but feel that Trouba is playing with about half a defensive partner causing him to shoulder much more of the load because other teams know that Stuart is easier to hem into the zone.

#freetrouba

Last edited by a moderator:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets should try to implement that Top 4 plan they were thinking about - Enstrom/Buff/Trouba/Myers get big minutes and the next two best (Pardy/Postma?) get the sheltered 3rd pairing minutes.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
And all defensemen's ice times are down compared to previous years.
Perhaps I am way off but I thought Trouba played his best when he got big minutes (when there were multiple injuries), however it may be that he got big minutes previously because he was playing his best.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Perhaps I am way off but I thought Trouba played his best when he got big minutes (when there were multiple injuries), however it may be that he got big minutes previously because he was playing his best.

Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say. But there are players that get better with more and more ice time. We really need to find a way to get Toby and Jacob together for at least a week and see what happens. That pairing would probably get 25 mins a game.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
This whole thing about Stuart hold Trouba back is annoying as anything. Stu is a warrior and leader on the team and finds little love in these boards because some are hellbent on having a whipping boy for the sake of having a whipping boy. Both guys are +4 and leading the team in that category. Yes, Jacob has struggled but that is on Jacob. Players happen to go through turbulence and adversity in their career - it is what make them better people and players. That has nothing to do with his partner in Stuart. This whole thing about Stuart being an anchor to Trouba is absolute garbage. Both have had decent starts, but nothing spectacular, and I expect them to get better.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It looks like the Trouba/Stuart pairing is getting the toughest zone starts, and by ice time only Enstrom is getting noticeably tougher match ups. It could be that Trouba “looks worse†because he’s playing tougher min with a D partner who shouldn’t be facing those matchups.

http://war-on-ice.com/playertable.h...&end0=20152016&end1=2015-10-29&splitseasons=1

As the graph illustrates Trouba's deployment is the furthest thing from being sheltered. Once again he's being buried in the defensive zone with a a boat anchor and is beating the matchups with a 52.11 CF%. This is one indication where the eye test doesn't match the on ice results as Trouba has been very strong defensively all year. With regards to not showing offensive growth, well he's not being put into situations to put up points I. E no PP time and having to cover for his partner. Once we can get him a partner that can move the puck we will see more offense from him.

iceguy

Dec 8, 2011
[mod]

I'm not willing to hang up on Trouba just yet given he continually has a boat anchor around his neck. I'd like to see him play half a season with Enstrom as his partner to really see what he can do, but we won't see that happen. Both Buff and Myers get a shot with Enstrom but not poor Jacob. Most unfortunate.

Stuart frustrates me no end but I'm largely ok with him in a more traditional role of 3rd pairing defenseman where he can do less damage. I'm not ok with his partner being Trouba, especially during what are largely developmental years. There are things that Stuart does well like blocking shots and leadership in the lockerroom that hopefully Jacob can model. But I cannot help but feel that Trouba is playing with about half a defensive partner causing him to shoulder much more of the load because other teams know that Stuart is easier to hem into the zone.

#freetrouba

[mod]

You just don't see those confident hits, rushes, and overall aggressive game play. Hopefully it's a bump in the road and he gets his game back. Could be playing with an injury for all we know.

Last edited by a moderator:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Trouba's getting very difficult zone starts, 3rd highest QOC of the d-men, and he's beating those minutes with a 52% CF rating. He's not being sheltered, and his play has been fine, in my opinion.

Both from an eye test, and from the stats, IMHO.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Trouba's getting very difficult zone starts, 3rd highest QOC of the d-men, and he's beating those minutes with a 52% CF rating. He's not being sheltered, and his play has been fine, in my opinion.

Both from an eye test, and from the stats, IMHO.

Agreed.

My only complaint is they need to have him out more. He should play ahead of Myers and Chiarot, IMO.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Agreed.

My only complaint is they need to have him out more. He should play ahead of Myers and Chiarot, IMO.

Yep - agreed. I think what we're seeing is what others in this thread have mentioned. He's carrying Stuart, who's a reasonable 3rd pairing d-man, but now they're running other defensemen in the #1 and #2 pairings instead of Stuart - Trouba. His icetime is suffering for it.

I'd love to join the #freetrouba revolution, but I don't see how to fix this unless you move him away from Stuart, which I doubt will happen.

Jaffray15

Mar 12, 2008
Winnipeg
www.nhl94.com
Trouba isn't meant to be a defensive defenseman and was brought in to be more of an offensive one. He proved that his first year and half way though his second, but has since regressed into a defensive dman playing mostly in his own zone.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Trouba isn't meant to be a defensive defenseman and was brought in to be more of an offensive one. He proved that his first year and half way though his second, but has since regressed into a defensive dman playing mostly in his own zone.

Regressed, or forced into the position based on his defensive pairing?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
How can anyone who is forced to play with Stuart be considered sheltered?

That's like the opposite of sheltered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad