Value of: Jacob Trouba at the draft

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don’t think he will be a “sign and trade” player. I think the team acquiring him will have a year to try and get a deal solved before he hits UFA which is reasonable.

Essentially he is a 1 year rental.

What are Winnipeg’s needs? Any deal from the flyers I would easily begin with the 1st rounder (12-14 range) and then work it from there.

Reactions: Meeqs and north49er

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I don’t think he will be a “sign and trade” player. I think the team acquiring him will have a year to try and get a deal solved before he hits UFA which is reasonable.

What are Winnipeg’s needs? Any deal from the flyers I would easily begin with the 1st rounder (12-14 range) and then work it from there.
A first in the 12-14 range + a top prospect is likely what it’ll take... depending on leverage it could be more.

One of those prospects WPG would be looking for is Farabee. I don’t think the flyers, at the moment, are a Touba away from being legitimate contenders, but I’d definitely be interested in Trouba.

PHI is a T2 RHD, Great Coach, and a 2C away from being considered contenders. We have the resources available now to make that happen. It just depends how Fletchers does it.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Bobby Mac has said in the past that if Trouba is traded it's safe to assume Chevy has given the other teams the right to discuss a contract before any trade is done.

Jets needs are:

- Zero wingers or goalies, don't bother offering

- Young or prospect top 4 D (left or right, but prefer right)

- Young or prospect 2C

- Picks

- Possible a package deal including an older top 4 RHD as a bridge solution including some of the other piece(s) above or some combo of the above depending on the quality of the pieces offered. While not a sure thing, he likely traded out east and to American team......but that's not a sure thing just likely. I also think Chevy will keep Seattle expansion in mind when asking for a return, the majority of the value will be future based (no need to protect)......possible with a bridge 1 yr older top 4 RHD thrown in.

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Well if he’s going to wait until UFA anyway the flyers could just try for Panarin and EK and if they miss out wait for trouba the next year. Flyers obviously are not in a 1 year rental territory.

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
I can see Detroit based on the fact hes from Michigan, what kind of package could Detroit offer, and what will their cap situation look like.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I can see Detroit based on the fact hes from Michigan, what kind of package could Detroit offer, and what will their cap situation look like.
Detroit has tons of cap space probably in the $20M to $23M range with both Zetterberg and Franzen on LTIR Detroit could package Madison Bowey he's a Winnipeg kid not sure what else Winnipeg would want. They don't need Wingers or Goalies so that's out. Detroit potential #2C would be Joe Veleno and he's pretty much untouchable as of now.

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
Im not sure Bowey is a player Chevy would look at, he would want a top RHD, to future compliment the loss of Trouba.

Reactions: Winston2018

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Detroit really doesn't have a deal for Trouba, they are stuck in the waiting for UFA or they could lay a tough offer sheet on Winnipeg in terms of Trouba, but that is really all they can do in my opinion.

Part of moving him at the draft I think would be jumping the line on Detroit, who I am sure is desperate to see him hit UFA status. They would back up a brinks truck for him if he makes it to Free agency in my opinion and I think other teams have to know that. You want to hammer out an extension right now with him and not wait is my guess and I think Winnipeg is going to leverage that if they are able to in terms of value.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Im not sure Bowey is a player Chevy would look at, he would want a top RHD, to future compliment the loss of Trouba.

Bowey? Nope, certainly not as any main piece.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Big fat no on a 1st+Farabee for Trouba. I'd consider any other prospect except him or Frost.

No need for Farabee so he wouldn't even be part of any ask, Frost fills a need possible not saying he would be available.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

It would essentially have to mean that Trouba has like a NTC since he doesn't have to sign a deal if he doesn't want to go to that other team, since he can always go to arbitration again and hit ufa in 2020. Not sure many teams would do a SJ for Karlsson move and bank of him signing with them unless Winnipeg wants that type of return.

It would have to be Trouba negotiating with the other team and Winnipeg ultimately being the one to sign the contract if Trouba wants an 8 year deal, which at age 25, it would take him to 33. He'd also have to be confident that the team acquiring him won't deal him again prior to any NTC/NMC kicking in on July 1, 2020 and thus he loses it like PK Subban did when MTL dealt him to Nash.

Winnipeg is a win now team so it's got to be a hockey deal. Plenty of teams want a 25 year old RHD who can log 22-24 minutes a game.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

scratch the 1st..... what about Sanheim with a minor add for Trouba with extension (similar to the Stone trade at the TDL)

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Leafs can afford to add a 7-8 million cap hit next year? You know the Jets wouldn't be taking any dumps back, I don't think the Leafs can afford Trouba.

You are right. We'd have to shed a lot of cap first which is very difficult with all things considered.

A guy can dream, though.

Reactions: Hunter368

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Sign and trade

Why does this forum continually act like this is a thing that even happens? Players now want more control over their futures than ever- the very last thing they want to do is sign their future over to a team they don't want to stay with and let them decide.

Yes, sometimes players sign deals with their new teams immediately after... that is not a sign and trade. That's merely allowing other teams to discuss contracts with the players camp during trade negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad