Value of: Jacob Trouba at the draft

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Apparently Barkov wouldn't have been either. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Well even accounting that Barkov was younger than Patrick, and put up better stats, I doubt he'd have been more valuable than a young right shot D that plays solid defense and just put up 50 points

People strongly overvalue 'potential' on these boards

Reactions: Snowman

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Well even accounting that Barkov was younger than Patrick, and put up better stats, I doubt he'd have been more valuable than a young right shot D that plays solid defense and just put up 50 points

People strongly overvalue 'potential' on these boards

Of course that's your argument seeing as how outside Yakupov, top 2 drafted forwards typically go on to fulfill their potential...

Reactions: Weiss1604

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I think it is very unlikely that Trouba is traded with an extension in place with his new team with him being traded at or just before the draft. There has been absolutely no leaked info that the Jets have given teams permission to negotiate an extension at this time. Also, the extension can't be finalized before July 1st so there is that obstacle.

Having said this I think a trade of Trouba will a) return far less than most Jets think as he WOULD be just a rental or b) he's traded after the draft (around July 1st) and it will include 2020 pick(s) plus (value of pluses depend on whether an agreement for an extension can be worked out with Trouba).

There is no way he'd return the 11th pick plus Myers from the Flyers at or before the draft since there would be little to no chance of the Flyers having him extended at the time of the trade

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think it is very unlikely that Trouba is traded with an extension in place with his new team with him being traded at or just before the draft. There has been absolutely no leaked info that the Jets have given teams permission to negotiate an extension at this time. Also, the extension can't be finalized before July 1st so there is that obstacle.

Having said this I think a trade of Trouba will a) return far less than most Jets think as he WOULD be just a rental or b) he's traded after the draft (around July 1st) and it will include 2020 pick(s) plus (value of pluses depend on whether an agreement for an extension can be worked out with Trouba).

There is no way he'd return the 11th pick plus Myers from the Flyers at or before the draft since there would be little to no chance of the Flyers having him extended at the time of the trade

FYI Trouba is/was free to sign any extension after Jan 1st 2019, nothing is currently blocking him to agreeing or signing any extension at this point.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I think it is very likely that Trouba is traded with an extension in place with his new team with him being traded at or just before the draft. There has been absolutely no leaked info that the Jets have given teams permission to negotiate an extension at this time but they wouldn't do that during their playoffs. Obviously that wouldn't happen until after their season is done. Also, the extension can be finalized before July 1st so there is no obstacle.

Having said this I think a trade of Trouba will return the 11th pick plus Myers from the Flyers at or before the draft since the Flyers will have him extended at the time of the trade

Went ahead and fixed it for you.

It's super simple. Jets will either trade Trouba to a team he's willing to extend with and they will have hammered out an extension before the draft or Trouba is kept as our own rental. Any post arguing for rental value of a trade makes zero sense. It would never happen. It's either he's extended & traded or he's kept. There is no traded as a rental scenario that makes any sense while we're in our cup window unless at next years' trade deadline we find ourselves out of the playoffs. Then he obviously would be a rental and the asking price would change.

Flyers are an interesting team to potentially trade with as they have Couts, Patrick, Frost down the middle and Myers who just broke in at RD plus an almost top 10 pick. I prefer to trade with Detroit, but if they said no, we'll take our chances in free agency I think the Flyers would be my next call followed by Florida, Rangers, Islanders and Sabres. (assuming Trouba signs all these places and his desire to go to an eastern U.S. team is real) If nobody wants/can't come to contract terms with him then I keep him. Easy peasy, no hard feelings.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
In 5 years trouba has 2 complete seasons and cracked 35 pts once yet he wants a guaranteed top pairing spot and top pairing money. As is the case with most 25 year olds hes still more potential than production. If hed take 6 hed be a jet but at 7+ i don't think they're the only team that balks. Theres a decent chance he winds up an overpaid 2nd pairing guy wherever he goes. The team willing to take that chance will pay accordingly
Considering Trouba improves every year and is already an upper end, top pairing RHD, it is very unlikely he ends up as a second pairing defenseman wherever he goes.

Reactions: Heldig

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Went ahead and fixed it for you.

It's super simple. Jets will either trade Trouba to a team he's willing to extend with and they will have hammered out an extension before the draft or Trouba is kept as our own rental. Any post arguing for rental value of a trade makes zero sense. It would never happen. It's either he's extended & traded or he's kept. There is no traded as a rental scenario that makes any sense while we're in our cup window unless at next years' trade deadline we find ourselves out of the playoffs. Then he obviously would be a rental and the asking price would change.
This has been mentioned a few times in this thread already, yet some posters continue to ignore the obvious reality you point out. I just chalk it up to the typical fan's fantasy. "I'm going to get a top end player to bolster my roster and not give up anything significant from my roster or prospect pool to do it." Nice fantasy, it just doesn't happen often.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
I get people like to argue about value and want players on discounts, but regardless of that, Trouba should be on the top of every team that needs defenceman's list of players to acquire. The year he is having is very strong and even as someone that doubted him in the past, I would give up a lot for him if I cheered for another team.

Trouba at 8M is not even close to overpaid. He has earned that this year. You could easily justify more. I dont care to debate what he's worth but if other gm's are actually paying attention they should be lining up.

I have no idea what he will get. But if gm's are not competing for him that makes 0 sense to me as someone who watches all the games and pays attention to advanced stats. When do you have the chance to acquire a top pairing young RHD that can play in all situations? (*more suited to 2PP but can be 1PP if needed).

Will definitely be interesting to see what happens. I would love to keep him but that has seemed out of the question for a while now. I dont envy Chevy

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Why would the Jets leak info that they’ve given other teams permission to talk contract with Trouba at this time??

They’re in the middle of the opening round of the playoffs. That’s just the most idiotic thing ever. Why would they openly bring a distraction to the team at such a crucial time?

There will be plenty of time for that once their season is over.

Reactions: snowkiddin

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

It's not the off-season for everyone yet.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Devils need to be all over this

Mirco Mueller + Mike Mcleod + 34th pick + Boston or Nashville's 2nd rounder (whichever is higher)

This is dependent on Trouba straight up telling Winnipeg he doesn't want to resign there. Devils take the risk and try to pay him what he wants at some point.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Mirco Mueller + Mike Mcleod + 34th pick + Boston or Nashville's 2nd rounder (whichever is higher)

This is dependent on Trouba straight up telling Winnipeg he doesn't want to resign there. Devils take the risk and try to pay him what he wants at some point.
What position does Mirco and Mike play? Haven't heard anything bout them.

KovalchukFistPump

Dec 24, 2008
California
What position does Mirco and Mike play? Haven't heard anything bout them.
Mirco Mueller = defenseman. Made good strides this year. Rather keep him over Santini/Carrick as an Andy Greene replacement, but you have to give up to get something. He is currently a good 3rd pair D and good on the PK with 2nd pair potential.

Mike McLeod = forward that was drafted 12th overall. Speedster and playmaker. Projects as either a 3C or maybe a winger on a scoring line. Wasn't that great in a 20 game callup this year, but they also played him with shit players.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Mirco Mueller = defenseman. Made good strides this year. Rather keep him over Santini/Carrick as an Andy Greene replacement, but you have to give up to get something. He is currently a good 3rd pair D and good on the PK with 2nd pair potential.

Mike McLeod = forward that was drafted 12th overall. Speedster and playmaker. Projects as either a 3C or maybe a winger on a scoring line. Wasn't that great in a 20 game callup this year, but they also played him with **** players.
So a 3c and a 3rd pairing D who has potential to be a 2nd pairing for a 1st pairing D. Not exactly the value Jets fans are hoping for. We'd rather a prospect with 2 c potential. That may be the best we get offered but it would be a bit disappointing.

KovalchukFistPump

Dec 24, 2008
California
So a 3c and a 3rd pairing D who has potential to be a 2nd pairing for a 1st pairing D. Not exactly the value Jets fans are hoping for. We'd rather a prospect with 2 c potential. That may be the best we get offered but it would be a bit disappointing.
You also get 2 second rounders with that offer though. One of them will be #34 and the other will be in the 50s (either Nashville or Boston's).

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas

Nothing there worth giving up a top pairing RHD for. No thanks.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017

Trouba for 1oa. Done. Chevy picks kakko

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I'd have no issue moving Myers+11th overall for Trouba as a Flyers fan. He would be extended long term. Is it a lot to give up? Yes, but this team needs to take a next step and can't wait for Myers to go through the learning curve at the NHL level. Adding Trouba and #2 center and they could contend as soon as next season.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'd have no issue moving Myers+11th overall for Trouba as a Flyers fan. He would be extended long term. Is it a lot to give up? Yes, but this team needs to take a next step and can't wait for Myers to go through the learning curve at the NHL level. Adding Trouba and #2 center and they could contend as soon as next season.

how does philly rank in terms of value

11th+myers, Frost, Sanheim....

i am guessing Sanheim>11th+myers>Frost?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
This guy is literally a rental, he won't be returning a young star player.

I'd guess the Jets either take a 1st+ for him, or simply keep him as their own rental for a run.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Sanheim wouldn’t be the piece moved out but while 11th+Myers might have more value than Frost in a vacuum, the Flyers might prefer to keep Frost since he’s close to being NHL ready and they’d have the following on defense.

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Trouba
Hagg/Morin-Gudas

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

It all depends who you talk to.

Here is reality. The Flyers NEED a #2C and a #3C. That will either be Patrick or Frost in some order. We can't afford to trade either because the drop to the next guy is steep....down to Vorobyev, Rubstov, Laughton, etc... Patrick was tied for #77 is ES scoring for centers. Adding 6 more ES points puts him at the 2nd line C production. In another year, the Flyers could have both producing as 2nd liners....that's the short term goal.

Sanheim was playing great with Gudas in a lesser role, but despite that, Hakstol refused to give him more minutes and was #7 in D icetime/game as per his firing. Under Gordon, Sanheim was unleashed and put next to Provy on the top pairing. He produced very well....tied for 9th in ES scoring since Dec 17th. And he did this playing the right side and most would agree, he plays better on the left. And he is nowhere near a finished product. And on the season, was 20th in ES scoring for Dmen....1 more than trouba

As for Myers, it's such a small sample size. Too early to tell. But he has passed every test along the way. He could be this years Sanheim but with not as much offense, but a more physical player. And being a RHD, the Flyers need him as only Gudas shoots right on their D.

I would not trade Frost(need him) or Sanheim(upside vs cap) for Trouba. I also would not package the 11th+Myers as both are A assets. I would not trade 2 A assets for Trouba. Trouba's points would drop in Philly because he won't get that prime PP spot as it is Ghosts. So that knocks 12-15 points off of Trouba(previous PP years were 3, 4, 4, 6, 3 points). Would I trade 1 A asset+lesser prospects/picks, sure. But not trading 2 A assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad