Value of: Jacob Trouba at the draft

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Considering he has 1 year and then he is UFA, yes it’s not a hot take to call him a rental. Because he is.

Like Mark Stone was absolutely a rental at this last TDL.

He's able to negotiate contracts if the Jets give him permission, which they will to increase the value if they can't sign him.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Like Mark Stone was absolutely a rental at this last TDL.

He's able to negotiate contracts if the Jets give him permission, which they will to increase the value if they can't sign him.
Stone was a rental. He got a very good prospect back.

Plus Stone is twice the player Trouba is.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Wings would offer:

Athanasiou+Cholowski+35th+58th

Basically a 30 goal scorer under team control for years to come, a good defense prospect, and 2nd round picks.

Take Perreault with Trouba and I think that's pretty close. Jets might rather take one 2nd rounder this year and one next, or a conditional 1st based on Trouba re-signing.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Considering he has 1 year and then he is UFA, yes it’s not a hot take to call him a rental. Because he is.

It's a stretch to call him a rental, largely because he's not even under contract, but also because any team that trades for him will almost assuredly do so under the pretense that he's signing.

The longer Winnipeg waits, the worse this one gets; because he can be offer sheeted, his value is effectively capped by offer sheet compensations.

Winnipeg's in a real tough spot too - pending the cap increase, 27M in cap space to sign 3D, 6F, 1G. Two of those forwards are Connor and Laine.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
It's a stretch to call him a rental, largely because he's not even under contract, but also because any team that trades for him will almost assuredly do so under the pretense that he's signing.

The longer Winnipeg waits, the worse this one gets; because he can be offer sheeted, his value is effectively capped by offer sheet compensations.

Winnipeg's in a real tough spot too - pending the cap increase, 27M in cap space to sign 3D, 6F, 1G. Two of those forwards are Connor and Laine.
The only problem with your scenario is that Trouba won't sign an offer sheet, so there is no "value cap" as you state.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

depending on the offer-sheet WPG will match and say thank you to the opposing team

Reactions: Oseductive

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
these trade threads must be the craziest place on this site.

we have a thread about how that useless pos kadri is worth a 1st round pick or a top pairing defenceman.

then we have a thread about how trouba is worth nothing.

it really is quite amusing

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
The only problem with your scenario is that Trouba won't sign an offer sheet, so there is no "value cap" as you state.

I'm not sure it's a problem with my scenario as much as it is with perception.

Connor and Laine are both due big deals. Laine hurt his value, but the two of them together almost assuredly end up eating half of that cap space.

Now you need 3D, 4F, 1G and you have 13.5m in space to make that work. Figure you'll bring up a rookie or two, lock up Copp for 2-2.5ish - but that's a lot of dumpster-diving to fill the roster if you're going to bring back Trouba post-arbitration - that's yet another wildcard.

So if I'm a team that wants Trouba - lets see what I know:
-Winnipeg's probably got a cap issue that precludes them from paying him his market value without making a trade
-Winnipeg's probably got to take him to arbitration
-There's been a lot of smoke around Trouba wanting out over the years - it's ebbed and flowed
-There's a pretty good chance he's a 2020 UFA if he stays in the 'peg

He's locked in value-wise by Winnipeg's cap situation, and it will get worse for Winnipeg over time unless something gives. And look, it CAN give - Perreault, Little, Lowry, and Byfuglien are all probably at least for discussion in trade once this season ends - but as things stand, why would any team give up more than offer sheet value for him knowing where Winnipeg stands?

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
I'm not sure it's a problem with my scenario as much as it is with perception.

Connor and Laine are both due big deals. Laine hurt his value, but the two of them together almost assuredly end up eating half of that cap space.

Now you need 3D, 4F, 1G and you have 13.5m in space to make that work. Figure you'll bring up a rookie or two, lock up Copp for 2-2.5ish - but that's a lot of dumpster-diving to fill the roster if you're going to bring back Trouba post-arbitration - that's yet another wildcard.

So if I'm a team that wants Trouba - lets see what I know:
-Winnipeg's probably got a cap issue that precludes them from paying him his market value without making a trade
-Winnipeg's probably got to take him to arbitration
-There's been a lot of smoke around Trouba wanting out over the years - it's ebbed and flowed
-There's a pretty good chance he's a 2020 UFA if he stays in the 'peg

He's locked in value-wise by Winnipeg's cap situation, and it will get worse for Winnipeg over time unless something gives. And look, it CAN give - Perreault, Little, Lowry, and Byfuglien are all probably at least for discussion in trade once this season ends - but as things stand, why would any team give up more than offer sheet value for him knowing where Winnipeg stands?

there are a couple of errors in your observations.

the only way that trouba stays long term in Winnipeg is if he gives the team a favourable deal.

as his previous contract negotiations have proven, he wants to be closer to home. most logical jets fans agree that his last game this playoff will be his last as a jet.

there are a few teams in his preferred area that could really use a #1 rd. those teams will be allowed to negotiate.

I trust our general manager and he will not allow trouba to walk as a ufa, and he will get needed parts back for our team.

the areas of need are a 2 c, or another r d.

we are also not in that bad of cap trouble

could sign laine long term and bridge connor

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
these trade threads must be the craziest place on this site.

we have a thread about how that useless pos kadri is worth a 1st round pick or a top pairing defenceman.

then we have a thread about how trouba is worth nothing.

it really is quite amusing

What's a fair offer for Trouba from PHI and FLA's pov?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad